Three Options for Vista-to-Windows 7 Update, Rumor

Terry Olaes

I Used to be the [H] News Guy
Ars Technica reports on the upgrade path rumor from Vista to Windows 7. Good bye Business and welcome back Professional. No word on a super-cheap version, such as Starter or Home Basic yet. Interesting.

These three upgrade paths "confirm" two more editions: Home Premium and Professional. These two are the ones that most customers will likely be buying, whereas the average geek will likely go ahead and grab Ultimate.

so, will windows 7 be such a breakthrough compared to vista like vista was to xp? if so, the support cycle of xp will hopefully last a couple more years...

currently, i'm struggling at work with the ribbons of office 2007 and i'm an excel "power user". now i feel like an intern. i'm getting somewhat fed up with microsoft's "innovations".

so, will windows 7 be such a breakthrough compared to vista like vista was to xp? if so, the support cycle of xp will hopefully last a couple more years...QUOTE]

From the looks of the beta, 7 will use pretty much the same interface as Vista. I think Windows 7 will be to Vista what Windows 98 was (supposed to be) to 95.

You're right: MS can't overhaul the interface every few years; people don't like change. I know several people who still use the Classic Start Menu, even though that means they miss out on Instant Search, favorite programs, sleep, and several other new features, just because they don't want to learn where the new shutdown button is.

so, will windows 7 be such a breakthrough compared to vista like vista was to xp? if so, the support cycle of xp will hopefully last a couple more years...

i think support for XP will last longer than support for Vista.... ;)

all the vista users will likely update to windows 7, while all those people on old hardware(or a mental inbalance) will stick with XP, leaving Vista a freakish niche...

Since most all the UI changes are minor tweaks if MS releases all the under the hood improvements for Vista in SPs I'll be very happy. Otherwise if there's an upgrade edition reinstall workaround ;) so I don't have to pay rediculous full retail price less than 2 years after Vista that will be fine. I'd rather not give up my perfectly good Vista license though.

windows 7 looks like vista + fluff to me... but im sure ill still buy a copy for my main machine. im glad i migrated all my other server's and htpc's to vista though, they can stay that way now and still be 100% compatible.

Since most all the UI changes are minor tweaks if MS releases all the under the hood improvements for Vista in SPs I'll be very happy. Otherwise if there's an upgrade edition reinstall workaround ;) so I don't have to pay rediculous full retail price less than 2 years after Vista that will be fine. I'd rather not give up my perfectly good Vista license though.

i have a feeling it will just be cheaper to buy the full install oem version again rather then a troublesome upgrade edition....

There's no way in hell im gonna pay another $399 for another Windows OS like i did with Vista the full retail version. I think MS should offer a free copy of the full retail version to owners that bought the full retail version of Vista.Didn't they preach better performance with Vista?

I forget how much Windows XP cost me when I finally left Windows 2000 in 2003, but I'm going to use it until Windows 7, so that's six years of use? I can see Windows 7 being worth $400 if an "Ultimate" version is released and I can put the extra goods to use, with that lifetime.

Think in that way, not "A game is only $50 this is a ripoff".

Or try this thing called Linux :cool:

Why don't you guys complaining about the price just attend a Microsoft conference shortly after Windows 7 is released? Heck, I signed up for a conference shortly after Vista was released, wasn't able to attend, and got a package from Microsoft a few weeks later that said "Sorry you couldn't make it, but here's a free copy of Vista Business." Or you could just wait until TechNet subscriptions go on sale. My $100 TechNet subscription gives me access to multiple licenses of Vista Ultimate, Office 2007 Ultimate, and virtually every other Microsoft product, and the licenses don't expire when your subscription does.

Technet is MSDN. You're only licensed to use the OSes for testing software, not for general use.

Well, bring a MS conference here to the other side of the pond and I'll just might attend it, otherwise no free Windows for me :(

Technet is MSDN. You're only licensed to use the OSes for testing software, not for general use.

Yes, I'm constantly testing software. ;)

Forgot to mention, I also get free Microsoft products, including Vista, through my school.

Bottom line, it's not hard to get Microsoft products for free. I've obtained 4 different Vista licenses through 3 different LEGAL avenues without paying hardly anything.

There's no way in hell im gonna pay another $399 for another Windows OS like i did with Vista the full retail version. I think MS should offer a free copy of the full retail version to owners that bought the full retail version of Vista.Didn't they preach better performance with Vista?

why? it is a new OS, MS os cycle is every 3-4 years, vista is in line with that, Xp was around for too long,. 7 years really.

they shouldnt give anything away for free, no one is forcing you to buy the new OS's as they come out and no one forced you to buy the most expenesive version you likely didnt even need, or buy retail instead of OEM.

Windows 7 = Vista, but tuned better, MS has said it themselves, i think they should only have 2 version, if Windows 7 is as tuned as rumor say they dont need a "basic" version.

A few thoughts on this thread.

For the Excel power user, here's a handy utility to find your 2003 commands in 2007:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel/HA101491511033.aspx?pid=CH100648241033

Also, don't forget to download the free pdf converter, you can now dump your Office 2007 docs directly to pdf without having to purchase Acrobat pro.

TechNet is most definately NOT MSDN. They are geared to two different audiences, and while there is some overlap, they are different.

On December 19th in downtown Minneapolis, we will be hosting an MSDN conference, what we're trying to do is bring the PDC out to everyone who wasn't able to make it to LA. PM me for more information if you're in the Minneapolis area. We will be handing out the official Win 7 Beta during this event and there is a lot of great content lined up. So you won't have to play with those dodgy torrent copies anymore :)

Glenn

Wow, alot of hype for Win7 compared to Vista. Interesting that Intel has high hopes for Win7 with WannaB, oops I mean LarraB, but had to manipulate the consumers along with MS due to their subpar hardware.

Coincidence?

So then if Windows 7= Vista why we gotta pay for it if we've already bought the Vista OS that gave people false promises? Win 7should be another ripoff like Vista is im sure.Man microsofts got there shaft way up most all of your asses.

So then if Windows 7= Vista why we gotta pay for it if we've already bought the Vista OS that gave people false promises? Win 7should be another ripoff like Vista is im sure.Man microsofts got there shaft way up most all of your asses.

Are you serious? Then XP = NT, right? Why buy Win2K or XP, if it's just using NT code?

Windows 95 -> 98 -> 98SE -> ME. All the same, pretty much. Just a few improvements and new features.

Vista is a huge improvement over XP for me. I can't drop back down to XP... Well, I won't. Windows 7 is a huge improvement over Vista from my testing. Faster, more stable, new stuff to do and use. It's a bigger release than 98 was to 95. Sure, MS is calling it a minor release, but it's still got enough to warrant a new OS release. And enough people bitched about the new UI with Vista, why change it again? Some people bitch that Vista changed the UI, then bitch again when Win7 doesn't change it enough... Make up your mind.

Microsoft has nothing up my ass. But, you may want to remove your stick from your bum and look at things a bit straighter.

I'm glad to see only 3 versions. They got a lot of shit for releasing so many for Vista. They listen to the consumers and fix what they bitched about. Sad part is, now the same people are bitching about the fixes! You can never please some people. It's too hot, it's too cold... Yet, it's 1 degree difference. Too many, not enough, but there is no middle point for some people... They asked if it was too much, what would be enough? They go with that, and they still bitch. They just need SOMETHING to bitch about. After all, bashing Microsoft is cool and 1337, right? Linux RoX, Windows Sux?! WTF?

*(As far as the other OS'es go, this thread isn't a Vista bashing thread or anything, so I'm not even going to derail the thread that much. That said, I like Linux, BSD, etc)*

Bottom line, it's not hard to get Microsoft products for free. I've obtained 4 different Vista licenses through 3 different LEGAL avenues without paying hardly anything.
+1 .. I picked up a copy of Vista at the AMD/Microsoft Tech Tour for free, got a free copy from college, and another free copy from work. We can also buy $20 and $40 copies of Vista Ultimate (32bit or 64bit) from college.. or you can get OEM copies from any major retailer for much cheaper than the $400 many people quote..

I don't think so microsoft. You got us gamers with dx10 and vista, but there's no way in hell I'm going to pay for another windows in a year.

Win7 is to Vista what XP was to Win2K.

Win2K (NT 5.0) was the big break from the old NT 4.0 code path, and people had all the same complaints about hardware and driver support. XP came out (NT 5.1) and things worked out much better. Vista (NT 6.0) was the big break from the NT 5.0 code base and of course people had lots of problems with older hardware and driver compatibility. Win7 (NT 6.1) will seem to be so much better simply because it is benefiting from 2+ years of driver developement on the NT 6.0 code base.

So far, from what little I've seen of Win 7, I can't say I'll be one of those to line up to buy it right away upon release. I havn't had hands on experience with it yet, so my perception of is limited. But, so far I just am not seeing enough of a big difference over Vista to justify another $400.

I have had no issues with Vista for well over a year, and those that I did have were directly related to immature drivers from the hardware manufacturers. Something that is entirely normal and expected after the release of a new codebase. So for myself at least, I have been very pleased with Vista, and had no regrets leaving XP behind. Windows 7 is going to have to offer a lot more (and it may just do so by the time it hits the RC stage) before I will throw a bunch of money at it. If MS makes the upgrade path priced reasonably enough, I may consider it. Otherwise, I think I'll be in the crowd of those who'll wait till' Win 7 SP1 hits the market.

yet, so my perception of is limited. But, so far I just am not seeing enough of a big difference over Vista to justify another $400.

I can't see many people paying $400 for a OS. Heck you could buy a $399 laptop and get the OS for free.

I can't see many people paying $400 for a OS. Heck you could buy a $399 laptop and get the OS for free.

Good point. I don't see it happening either...at least not in our current economical environment. Considering that most people that use Vista because it came with a new computer, I find it difficult to believe that they'll want to "upgrade" again so soon. W7 is appealing upgrade on my primary XP box...but not for $400. I use Vista on an old back-up computer and it'll stay.

thank god! i am very happy they have limited it to 3 versions only...at least so far. i am sure the closer the launch the more crap they will cram in at the last second...

Where are you guys getting $400 from? You can buy a copy of Vista Home Premium today for $99. Even the most expensive version available, the full retail (non-upgrade) version of Vista Ultimate can be had for less than $270. True, that's still not chump change, but it also isn't $400.

$400 is the list price, and what you'd pay for for full ultimate at retail, as opposed to from somewhere like VioSoftware.

He did say "list price" which means the suggested retail - Newegg obviously doesn't sell it for that much, but in B&M retail outlets that's about what you can expect to see on the price tag. Newegg might be selling the retail product but they're not a B&M retailer so, their end costs usually translate to lower prices for people that buy from 'em, hence their popularity.

Fry's is a primarily B&M retailer with an online presence, here's what they charge for Vista Ultimate SP1 Full Version:

http://shop2.frys.com/product/55433...344lcLXBA**.node2?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Soooo... it can be pretty damned expensive if you don't shop around. :D

Full disclosure: I haven't "paid" for a Microsoft OS since Windows 3.11 came out long ago, and except for the ~$90 I paid out of pocket for the upgrade edition of Windows 98SE when it was released, every Microsoft OS I've ever owned has been an NFR (Not For Resale) copy acquired either by the MSDN/TechNet membership I maintained for almost a decade (now lapsed) or by attending conferences and seminars in the dozens where such software and OSes are handed out to the participants like candy on Halloween.

While the official release date of Windows 7 hasn't been announced yet, when it is, I'll be standing by ready to sign up for conferences and seminars or simple launch events where it will be offered up as NFR copies once again...

In fact, MSRP is actually $319.95, not $400:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-vista/compare-editions/ultimate.aspx

Again, I'm not saying it's cheap, just that someone tosses out a number and everyone else seems to jump on it as if it were fact, when a simple search proves otherwise in seconds.

That's down from the original shelf price which was $399.95 when Vista came out at the end of January 2007. Not a huge drop but, hey, it's almost 25% so it's better than $400, definitely. :D

I see Vista Business is still at its original asking retail price of $299.95 - I guess they lowered Ultimate to entice more folks to get it...

He did say "list price" which means the suggested retail - Newegg obviously doesn't sell it for that much, but in B&M retail outlets that's about what you can expect to see on the price tag. Newegg might be selling the retail product but they're not a B&M retailer so, their end costs usually translate to lower prices for people that buy from 'em, hence their popularity.

Fry's is a primarily B&M retailer with an online presence, here's what they charge for Vista Ultimate SP1 Full Version:

http://shop2.frys.com/product/55433...344lcLXBA**.node2?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Soooo... it can be pretty damned expensive if you don't shop around. :D

Full disclosure: I haven't "paid" for a Microsoft OS since Windows 3.11 came out long ago, and except for the ~$90 I paid out of pocket for the upgrade edition of Windows 98SE when it was released, every Microsoft OS I've ever owned has been an NFR (Not For Resale) copy acquired either by the MSDN/TechNet membership I maintained for almost a decade (now lapsed) or by attending conferences and seminars in the dozens where such software and OSes are handed out to the participants like candy on Halloween.

While the official release date of Windows 7 hasn't been announced yet, when it is, I'll be standing by ready to sign up for conferences and seminars or simple launch events where it will be offered up as NFR copies once again...

As I pointed out, the "List" price isn't even $400. What you found at Fry's.com is the MSRP (actually 4 cents more). Here are all the "List" prices for the full retail versions:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-vista/compare-editions/default.aspx

After 7 comes out it will basically make Vista the new ME on the block. I'll go the Ultimate way, but it needs to be 64-bit Ultimate for me to make the switch. Hopefully they will get it right with 7/64

When will these ass holes realize that charging one price for an upgrade / fresh install is just the simples way to go? I'm sorry, but Apple has it figured out with this one...

Desktop and server, this is all there needs to be.

I wonder how much more it adds to Microsoft's bottom line by releasing so many different versions, considering that it results in more excess inventory compared to if there was a fewer number of SKUs.

Back