Three Fallout New Vegas questions

Comte

Gawd
1. Is it me, or are you not getting perks every level like Fallout 3? Its every other level now.

2. I read on a forum somewhere there is a 2GB limit built into the exe. Thats means its only using 2GB of ram for the game, and not even using the other 6GB on the system I have. (I have 8GB total.)

3. Is crossfire working correctly? I have a 4870, but would consider buying another one if crossfire was working correctly.

1. Is it me, or are you not getting perks every level like Fallout 3? Its every other level now.

That's a part of the game's design. I actually like it. The overwhelming number of perks seemed to muddy the game a bit in the last one. It's not like this game is exactly hard without perks every level. I guess if you wanted it to be easier/weirder or w/e there are mods.

But what you've mentioned is intentional, afaik.

Also, there are unlockable (through achievements) perks. They're pretty nice (added damage to either specific enemy types or all enemies is all I've unlocked so far).

The FO NV exe for me is only using around 500MB. Even if it was able to use over 2GB, it wouldn't. Unless of course you want memory leaks coded in.

Does it help the game run any? Or is it a change with no real effect?

I haven't tried the New Vegas version but the same increaser for Fallout 3 is documented to work.

The FO NV exe for me is only using around 500MB. Even if it was able to use over 2GB, it wouldn't. Unless of course you want memory leaks coded in.

Yeah, the extra memory comes into play when you start throwing in mods.

Why does this game run like ass??? I get jerkies every 30 seconds or so.. FO3 was not like this. Everything is up to date driver wise.

Game is almost not playable.

3. Is crossfire working correctly? I have a 4870, but would consider buying another one if crossfire was working correctly.

my 4870 and Q6600 @ 3.2ghz is running this game maxed 1920x1080 with 4x AA and 15x AF 40-60fps no need for crossfire.

Why does this game run like ass??? I get jerkies every 30 seconds or so.. FO3 was not like this. Everything is up to date driver wise.

Game is almost not playable.

Did you do the D3D9.dll fix?

Yeah I don't know why you'd want perks every level. There's a specific reason Obsidian made it every 2 levels.

The ATI 10.10c hotfix drivers make crossfire work pretty well, before that I couldn't get it to work no matter what on my 4870x2's, but now it works well for the most part a little stuttering but nothing big.

Regarding crossfire there has been a "NPC stuttering fix" floating about which is a D3D9.dll you put into the game root dir, shortly after that was released people noted that it killed TSAA on ATI cards so someoene found another version of this file that fixed that. This 2nd dll also happens to fix crossfire as well, you can find it here.

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=34970

This fixed crossfire for many and fixes my 5970 which previously only ran one GPU.

Make sure with fraps, vsync in the launch options can be off, and forced off in drivers, but the game sets a value in the ini files called ipresetinterval=1 which caps at 60, set that to 0 and you'll boost your frame rate.

I think the game might base the trickrate of the game off the frame rate, so actually you end up with a faster game the higher above 60fps you go, which is why this value is set. It causes "input lag" a lot like vsync though so it's best to disable it and crank your settings until you're rolling at about 60fps.

it's not a frame rate issue though per se, the game runs great but every 30 to 60 seconds it take a dump for like 1/2 second (long enough to freeze the game and be noticeable)

I don't have any back ground scanners going or any resident things running.

That's where the stutter remover mod comes in handy. Capping your frames in the .ini (watch out, steam overwrites the .ini in mygames) should help in that department too.

Back