Three different home theater options to choose from... help me pick!

Tengis

Supreme [H]ardness
Here are the three setups Ive currently got. I am outputting to these with my HTPC via optical out. Ive either purchased them insanely cheap or received them for free:

Onkyo HTX-22HD receiver/sub combo seen here: http://www.eu.onkyo.com/en/products/htx-22hd-34635.html

Paired with only the Sharp Aquos sound bar with rear speakers seen here: http://www.overstock.com/Electronic...ome-Theater-Audio-System/5230355/product.html

This receiver/sub combo seems very nice and sounds decent when paired with the sound bar. It may benefit from having some nice speakers but the bass is still a bit lacking.

OR

Samsung AV-R730 coupled with two yet to be purchased $150-200 tower speakers in a stereo configuration (for now) and the subwoofer from the Sharp Aquos link mentioned above. Cant find the receiver on Samsungs website for whatever reason but I found these specs online... they may or may not be inflated/not accurate:
Samsung AV-R730 850-watt 7.1Ch A/V Receiver

Specifications
* Manufacturer Samsung
* Part Number AV-R730
* HDMI Switching Yes
* Video Conversion/Scaling HDMI to HDMI scaling
* Surround System Class 7.1 channel
* Output Power 850 Watt
* Inputs 3 HDMI, 3 Optical
* Built-in Decoders DTS-ES decoder, Dolby Pro Logic II, Dolby Digital Surround EX, DTS Neo:6, DTS-ES Discrete 6.1, DTS 96/24, Dolby Digital, DTS
decoder, Dolby Pro Logic IIx

Dimensions
* approx. 17"W x 15"D x 6.5"H
* Weight 13 lbs

Manufacturer: SAMSUNG
Part Number: AV-R730

OR

A 5.1 audio setup I purchased from a local store here in Japan seen here: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1782259&highlight=schumaker

The system sounds decent and the bass is good. Has optical input and does Dolby/DTS but part of me really feels like I could get into a higher quality setup by selling everything I have.

Just like the Onkyo it is a receiver/sub combo and is quite a bit heavier then the Onkyo (for what thats worth). The Onkyo I have seems like a higher quality unit based on the settings and options it supports but the Shumaker definitely puts off better base.

The speakers are tower speakers with fairly solid aluminum and wood construction; the L and R have two small speakers and one tweeter each while the rears have one speaker and one tweeter. I cant remove the grill or I would investigate further since I cannot find any information online regarding this audio setup. The center channel Im using is actually a nice Pioneer center channel speaker from a $800 Pioneer home theater 5.1 setup.

Things that annoy me is that there is no auto turn off like the Onkyo I mentioned above and there is a nasty delay to audio that comes in from optical so things like clicks and buzzes in windows dont fully come through... you basically just hear some fuzz that pretty much tells you that the receiver processed some noise. If you were to have nothing playing and start up an MP3 you would miss the first 2 seconds.

Last edited:
Back