Three bad power supplies?

Nodoubts2k

Limp Gawd
PC Specs: 64gb ddr3 mem, i7 4930k, Asus P9X79, 980ti, 1tb ssd, 1tbhdd, kraken x51 cooling,

I decided to change my case and upgrade to a fully modular PSU. My old PSU is a PC Power & Cooling 750 Watt that I've had for about 6 years. System ran without issues prior to swapping the PSU.

I decided to get a Thermaltake RGB 650 Watt which I thought was sufficient.

After replacing, no post. Doesnt boot anything, even with bare minimum config (1 stick mem, no hd, etc.) Exchanged the PSU for another, still no boot. I then exchanged it for a 750 Watt of the same model, still nothing. The thing is, when I plug in the PC Power & Cooling, it boots normally.

Do you think all three of the Thermaltake PSU's were DOA? Or was it not sufficient wattage? Something else?

Any insight appreciated.

The only thing I can think of is whether you are using the right cables to plug power to motherboard or to videocard. The interchangeble ones that come with modular PS's might have similar looking ones for other purposes. The odds of two different power supplies and of two different models being bad aren't very likely. I'd doublecheck for cabling mis-match.

The only thing I can think of is whether you are using the right cables to plug power to motherboard or to videocard. The interchangeble ones that come with modular PS's might have similar looking ones for other purposes. The odds of two different power supplies and of two different models being bad aren't very likely. I'd doublecheck for cabling mis-match.

I'm pretty sure I used the correct cables. They are labled CPU (the 4pin+4pin), PCIE (For video card), and there is only one ATX connector. I figured the same, but all of the PSU's came with the same cables (Same brand/series).

Did you switch cables when you got the new PS or used the same cables from the 1st PS with the new 2nd PS? Could have been bad cables from the first PS maybe?

did you check the power switch and voltage selector on the new ones? change the power cord?

FWIW, no good ATX power supply has a voltage selector on it anymore. If its not 90~260V w/PFC or whatever its likely trash. Wouldn't plug one into a system I cared about at least, because its either ancient or way too cheapo.

Can you turn on the other PSUs by themselves by shorting two pins (forget which, look it up) and nothing hooked up? If not they're ded jim.

Also never ever ever mix modular cables without serious vetting (just checking for same key-ing is NOT enough) and unless you are totally sure with good pin-out diagrams to reference then only use from the exact same model and revision. Ignore at your own peril, magic smoke doesn't go back in.

Sometimes this applies even within the same brand because they use multiple OEMs for different models. (corsair, for example, does not actually make any powersupplies)

FWIW, no good ATX power supply has a voltage selector on it anymore. If its not 90~260V w/PFC or whatever its likely trash. Wouldn't plug one into a system I cared about at least, because its either ancient or way too cheapo.

Can you turn on the other PSUs by themselves by shorting two pins (forget which, look it up) and nothing hooked up? If not they're ded jim.
oh ok. i haven't looked for one in a while and everything i have around me is a few years old and has a selector.
just double checked and i have a system with a RM850, no switch.
guess i missed when they went away some how...

testing if they power up by themselves is a good tip though.

When PFC and efficiency left the server room* and started going mainstream along with more people willing to pay for quality is when that toggle-of-death started going away. ATX standard updates helped some I think.

*Wasted power adds heat which increases $ you flush down a toilet every month to cool it all so they paid attention first, also unlike home users business sometimes pays higher elec rates based on site PF not ~=1.

I never found out what the issue was. I switched the cables, and ensured they were connected correctly. I ended up returning both Thermaltake PSU and purchased an EVGA Supernova 750 which booted right away with no issues. I hope that this isn't reflective of Thermaltakes QC. Either way, thanks for the responses everyone.

I haven't used Thermaltake power supplies in quite a few years due to quality issues.

The only one I still have is a really old one that is being used in a retro build because it was the only one I had that matched up to the power supply ports on the back of the case I am using.

And it has weird issues such as what I think is capacitor whining and the fans revving up to full speed after a few seconds of it being powered on. I am going to replace it as soon as I have a chance.

Back