Threadripper or ryzen

• Threadripper

Votes: 18 85.7%
  • Ryzen 7

Votes: 3 14.3%

• Total voters

OofC_S7v7N

Gawd
My wife has tasked me with building a video editing rig(she uses Adobe premiere and other Adobe products).

She ideally would like two 4k monitors possibly 27" or bigger.

Lots of storage for video files mostly 4k format size.

And I would ideally be able to game on it at the native resolution.

I honestly have no idea where to began to balance a build like this that optimize her render times and allow her to work smoothly with raw 4k footage.

I have no problem going pretty built, but if I could build it myself I would.

Budget would probably be around $2,200 - $2,500.

I'm currently using two 12c/24t machines for video rendering and I wouldn't consider going down to an 8c/16t machine for any reason. Yes, TR is more expensive but the old adage time is money is very apt in this case.

I don't do video editing myself (other than an occasional handbrake here and there) but if you want 4K native gaming (I'm assuming on just one 4k monitor), there's only 2 choices presently - 1080ti or Titan XP ($700-1200). If SLI can help transcoding / video editing (I personally don't know if they do), then maybe x2 of those.

I'd also factor in SSDs. Maybe a large NVME drive ($259 for 500, $470 for 1TB Samsung 960 EVO) for the video work files and one or more large spinners for warm/cold storage (just saw the 8TB spinner for $180 deal on here), again maybe 2x in RAID 1 if you don't have any other form of backup - NAS or Cloud.

Figure the threadripper CPU by itself can be $1k if you get top of the line and the mobo $300-500 and toss in 32 or 64 gigs of ram $300-600, depending on ram speed)

Video card $700-1200
Boot Work NVME $259 - 470
Storage Spinner 8TB ($180+) (via Bestbuy deal)
CPU (16 cores) $999
Mobo $300-500
Ram $300-600

Monitors are buyers choice, I'd figure IPS for fidelity and maybe a VA or TN for gaming.

I'll leave case, KB, mouse, PS up to you but cut where you want to get the numbers down.

Last edited:
This can get expensive,but you do have a solid budget. Does that include the 2 monitors? I would go 12 or 16 core tr so it will last her a LONG time. Is she editing 4k footage? I'd go with a 1080ti, should be good for gaming and overkill for editing. I would also recommend as much solid state storage as you need, nvme ideally. You want a balanced system for editing because anything can be a bottleneck. You want a drive to read from, a drive for the projects to work from/scratch disk, and another drive to export to. You'll likely want a big spinner for long term storage so those ssds stay clean, or a nas. I recommend redundancy unless she doesn't ever want the files when she finishes a project.

I am crunching h264 to h265 conversions in the background right now as I type this using Handbrake and I am able to play PubG, Minecraft, and TitanFall 2 and Oculus Rift etc... at the same time with ZERO hit on performance. I have allocated 24 threads to Video projects and the rest is for me to use for whatever I want. Threadripper is a fucking BEAST!

Honestly the difference in 12 and 16 cores is 8 threads. And if you are serious about using your system for other tasks while rendering video etc.... then the 16 thread is worth every penny. If you are going to set it and forget and walk away then an 8 core 1700/x or 1800x is perfect for that.

If you are serious about crunching video but don't want to spend a thousand then by all means the 12 core is an awesome chip too.

And if money is no object the Intel 7980xe gives you two more cores albeit a slower and lower clock speed across the board when all cores are being used.

Your question for the poll is waaay too subjective. You should provide a little context for how you want to use the machine in the poll topic. Something like 24/7 video encode or .... 50/50 gaming video etc... that makes a huge difference.

Again I recommend Ryzen 7 for 24/7 video only work. But Threadripper for Video/Gaming/Entertainment at the same time.

Sorry if the information was a little vague. So it would mostly me used for her to edit video on and that would be the priority. Gaming would be a nice to have, I currently only play HotS, Overwatch, BF1.

It would be ideal to have the OS and editing software/applications on NVME while my game library on a decent SSD.

I was toying with the idea of a custom nas server for the house. Or mainly just for get to save any video files she would need to keep.

It sounds like the more threads that ripper offers would be worth the investment in the long run.

Does any one know of any reviews comparing the threadripper to ryzen 7 when it comes to encoding, formating, and converting speeds?

Sorry if the information was a little vague. So it would mostly me used for her to edit video on and that would be the priority. Gaming would be a nice to have, I currently only play HotS, Overwatch, BF1.

It would be ideal to have the OS and editing software/applications on NVME while my game library on a decent SSD.

I was toying with the idea of a custom nas server for the house. Or mainly just for get to save any video files she would need to keep.

It sounds like the more threads that ripper offers would be worth the investment in the long run.

Does any one know of any reviews comparing the threadripper to ryzen 7 when it comes to encoding, formating, and converting speeds?

https://www.hardocp.com/article/2017/08/10/amd_ryzen_threadripper_1950x_1920x_cpu_review/5
https://www.anandtech.com/show/11697/the-amd-ryzen-threadripper-1950x-and-1920x-review/10 halfway down
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_ryzen_threadripper_1950x_review,16.html
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_ryzen_threadripper_1950x_review,17.html vega pro
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-threadripper-1950x-cpu,5167-9.html some other adobe stuff

pretty much most of the major reviews including [H] have ryzen in their comparison charts..

It is 2 1800x strapped together so every review will show 2x the performance. There is also more cache memory in the chip as well so its a little faster overall than just two 1800x's strapped together but not by much.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant
CPU: AMD - Threadripper 1950X 3.4GHz 16-Core Processor ($999.98 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: *ARCTIC - Liquid Freezer 240 74.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($82.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: *ASRock - X399 Taichi ATX TR4 Motherboard ($333.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: *G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($293.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($116.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: *Seagate - Constellation ES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.00 @ Newegg Marketplace)
Video Card: *Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Turbo OC Video Card ($499.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Rosewill - BRADLEY M ATX Mid Tower Case ($46.74 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Rosewill - Capstone 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($74.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $2503.54
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-09-30 03:17 EDT-0400

It is 2 1800x strapped together so every review will show 2x the performance. There is also more cache memory in the chip as well so its a little faster overall than just two 1800x's strapped together but not by much.

roughly yeah, there's a bit more latency involved with the cache sharing so on that end it's actually a little bit slower than 2 x 1800x's.

Back