Threadripper GPU passthrough and NPT perf

regression

n00b
I think this belongs here and not Virtualization, mods correct me if I'm wrong. So AGESA 1.0.0.6 fixed the IOMMU isolation issues with Ryzen (and I assume TR) but I haven't seen anything since release discussing Threadripper and GPU passthrough. Seems a little strange with all those PCIe lanes.

The only thing holding me back from pulling the trigger on a new workstation is fear of NPT/SLAT issues. While an intel/EPT chip would cost more for less, it would not have these issue. Has anyone tried or seen anyone write about a GPU passthrough on TR/x399 yet with KVM or even another hypervisor?

I could try it later sometime but damn thats going to take half a freaking day. I could load some ESX up, which I run on my Xeon E5-1620, and see how she rocks and rolls on the Threadripper. But I would have to dedicated damn near a whole day and find my old SSD to put it on.

KVM might be better or is GPU passthrough working meanwhile on ESX(i) ? Given that we don't talk about Tesla's and other high-end hardware ...

If anyone wants to send me a TR box I can try it. I have it working in KVM :)

My son uses a windows vm with a quadro card to play lego star wars in a vm streamed to a steam link

I stopped screwing with ESXi / team green after the GTX480 was the last softmod to quadro card. I don't solder expensive GPUs and any company that says I need to buy the "professional" version of their product to run it in a VM at home and enforces this opinion with driver lockouts doesn't want my money. With KVM you can hide the virtualization but I don't think anything has changed with nVidia restricting drivers and ESXi not providing a way to hide virtualization from the guest. I don't want to go offtopic but this is literally THE reason I went polaris and will also pick vega even if it's inferior / costs more.

I've been watching this for a week now between r/amd and r/vfio

it doesn't look irreconcilable but it's definitely not running out of the box either.

Reactions: Meeho
like this
Back