Thread Stuck in Device Driver?

spadefoot

Limp Gawd
I have a Radeon 290x, and my machine periodically throws a BSOD with "Thread Stuck in device driver" as the message. All the stuff I've been able to find online points to a driver issue, but this has been happening for at least the past year's worth of Radeon drivers. It doesn't happen in games (works fine in even pretty demanding 3d games), but just sitting at the desktop, maybe with a browser window open. I've tried turning off GPU acceleration in Chrome, but it didn't make a noticeable difference. I've used driver cleaner, and I've used the AMD "clean install" option, neither seems to help. Anyone else had these kinds of issues?

Even though everythign I see online points to a driver issue, I'm starting to wonder if I have a hardware issue that's just manifesting oddly.

I have a Radeon 290x, and my machine periodically throws a BSOD with "Thread Stuck in device driver" as the message. All the stuff I've been able to find online points to a driver issue, but this has been happening for at least the past year's worth of Radeon drivers. It doesn't happen in games (works fine in even pretty demanding 3d games), but just sitting at the desktop, maybe with a browser window open. I've tried turning off GPU acceleration in Chrome, but it didn't make a noticeable difference. I've used driver cleaner, and I've used the AMD "clean install" option, neither seems to help. Anyone else had these kinds of issues?

Even though everythign I see online points to a driver issue, I'm starting to wonder if I have a hardware issue that's just manifesting oddly.
when was your OS last installed? I found, if using Win10, OS causes alot of random strange issues, again only with 10, 7 was solid.

This is an upgrade from 7 to 10, IIRC. I hadn't thought much about trying to do a clean install, but that's not a bad idea.

This is an upgrade from 7 to 10, IIRC. I hadn't thought much about trying to do a clean install, but that's not a bad idea.
I was getting weird stuff, like crashes and random reasons for each, never the same. Reinstalled 10 and no problems since.

Back