• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Thoughts

AMDXP

2[H]4U
Joined
Jul 9, 2004
Messages
2,631
# X-BLADE Medium Tower Case 450 W (BLACK)
# (754-pin) AMD™ ATHLON™64 2800+ CPU
# Albatron K8X800 VIA K8T800 Mboard
# 512 MB PC3200 400MHz DDR MEMORY
# 120GB 7200 RPM ATA 100 HARD DRIVE
# NONE - 2nd Hard Drive
# ATI RADEON 9600 256MB DDR AGP 8X W/ TV-OUT & DVI
# COMBO DRIVE(DVD-ROM & CDRW) (BLACK)
# SONY CDRW 52X32X52 EIDE (BLACK)
# NONE - MONITOR
# 3D WAVE ON-BOARD 5.1 SOUND CARD
Price: $848.00


#Windows XP
#600 Watt Speakers and Subwoofer
#Logitech optical mouse/USB
#logitech Keyboad /USB

:confused:
 
It seems ok, not bleeding edge but good. But I've never heard of a 9600 with 256 megs. Am I missing something, or do you mean 9800 pro 256?
 
No dude they are all over the place. 9600's often come with 256 and you can even get 9200's with 256.
 
Ok, a 9600 with 256mb is a waste of 128mb ram. They are too slow to fully utilize the extra ram. The 9800pro is borderline. Save some money and get the 128mb version, or get a 128mb 9800pro. IMO. :D
 
ditch the 256MB 9600, it's not going to be any faster than a 128MB 9600. i'd also drop the CDRW drive.
 
I have that mobo. Pretty stable. Not much frills. I would get a nf3 250 or k8t800 pro though. They are not that much more expensive...
 
I think it seems a little underpowered for the price. have you tried pricing the parts on price watch to see if you can do better, or did you do that already?
 
I would avoid getting a 764 pin if at all possible.
AMD pulled their usual stunt with new tech:
Release the new tech with an unusual interface for less than a year and then keep the new interface as standard for half a decade.
939 pin is what you want. They aren't super expensive now what with the FX-55 and FX-57 on the way. I would definitely wait until the FX-57 is paper launched though.
 
felix88 said:
ditch the 256MB 9600, it's not going to be any faster than a 128MB 9600. i'd also drop the CDRW drive.
Agree with the first sentence. But I only partially agree with the second - having two CD burners in the same system is indeed redundant, since most CD burning software will allow you to do the burning on only one of those drives at a time. But I still don't recommend having DVD reading capabilities on the same CD combo drive, unless that combo drive also burns DVDs. Thus, I'd replace both of the CD drives on that list with a single DVD+/-RW drive, which can also burn CD-Rs and CD-RWs.
 
Back
Top