Thoughts on Wireless-G coverage over this floorplan (pics)

jmroberts70

2[H]4U
Hello all, I'm helping out getting my church building setup with wireless throughout the building. I'm initially thinking of using a WDS system with a few of these wireless-G routers:

SMCWBR14T-G Barricade G Wireless Broadband Router 2.4GHz 108Mbp with WDS

My understanding of Wireless-G range is that it's specified to work out to a range of approx 300'. I then account for an EFFECTIVE range and consider building obstructions and that probably gives me a GOOD range of about 100'. So I've created configurations where I use either a 2-node system or a 3-node system. I've shown the two floorplans to scale with 100' circles below...

avcc-2-nodecover01.jpg

This is my first idea. By only using 2 routers, I save about $65 (truly not a big deal) --but I'm also only mounting 2 points instead of 3...

avcc-3-nodecover01.jpg

The possible reason for a 3-node setup is that the auditorium has the potential for many more of wireless users and I'd rather have the increased coverage (if that's possible)...

So my questions:

1. Would having 2 WDS Wireless-G routers in the same auditorium actually help a potential situation where I have too many users on a single router or not? Would they even WORK this way or would they just fight each other? I'm assuming that WDS somehow prevents this but I'm not sure as I've never setup WDS before...

2. Am I allowing for enough coverage for the entire building by being within the 100' radius of these routers?

Thanks everyone in advance!

I don't know much about these things but I wonder about the corridor and maybe a repeater or something similar. It seems like it would work the way u have it--so good job with the schematics.

I suspect there's no real structural limitations like the walls are made of 10 inch steel :) or anything else keeping u from transmitting signals right?

Looks good, I would try the first idea first, and only try the second if ti doesn't work.

1. I would keep each router in a different channel, so they don't interfere with each other.

2. To many factors, go as far as possible from the router in your radius and test, signal strength, quality, lost packets, and speed, etc.

Based on the typical construction of an auditorium, I believe your greatest challenge will be providing coverage to rooms 5-11. The sound resonance panels and double thick wall construction to keep the noise in the room is really going to cage that signal. (Mind you this is based off my experience working in a massive multi floored concert hall like auditorium.) Have you tested this yet?

Can you hard wire both access points?

WDS cuts bandwidth in half and really is only needed when you cannot hard wire the access points in. I would go with the 2 ap setup. I dont see much advantage to the 3 ap setup as you proposed it.

You might also look at using better access points that have more power. I have been really happy with Engenius products for the money. They have a few nice models for indoors like thise regular footprint one:
http://www.netgate.com/product_info.php?cPath=32&products_id=361

or this nice ceiling mount one:
http://www.netgate.com/product_info.php?cPath=32&products_id=712

More expensive, but great coverage and features.

Another option are these Open Mesh ones. I have never used them but they seem like great little units from what I have read:
http://www.netgate.com/product_info.php?cPath=32&products_id=739

Well, since I'm thinking of running ethernet to all the WAP's, I guess I don't need to employ WDS technology. I can just make sure they're each on their own channel. Any suggestions for a decent WAP device?

My suggestion is to go with the two-node. Then perhaps, depending on your budget, buying some after market antennas to increase the coverage.

Grentz - how are engenius as far as reliability go?

They have been very good so far. Only issue I have had is one that failed that could have been caused by either being set on Extreme range mode (level 4 of 4 and really overkill for most situations as it is not that big of a difference and really cuts speed down), or the fact that a well was being drilled about 10ft from where it was mounted and caused massive vibrations for weeks. It still works, but goes on and off all the time and was just replaced by a new one that is working great.

It is higher end hardware, so things are not explained in super dumbed down terms always, they expect you to know what you are doing (like setting up WDS for example).

I have used a few of their USB adapters as well and they work really well. Awesome range and not just marketing hype like many others are.

Well, since I'm thinking of running ethernet to all the WAP's, I guess I don't need to employ WDS technology. I can just make sure they're each on their own channel. Any suggestions for a decent WAP device?

As said before, look at some of the Engenius products. Great bang for the buck. They have some very unique products as well.

I wish newegg still carried them.

Back