Thoughts on upgrading from a 3770k

JK1984

n00b
I am in no rush to upgrade my system but since the announcement of Windows 11, it got me thinking about upgrading my system a bit sooner than I thought I would. I plan on re-using what I can and getting a new video card when availability and prices get back to normal. So, I really only need a new Motherboard, CPU, RAM, and CPU Cooler. I do have a Silverstone Decathlon DA800 ATX 800-Watt PSU that I could use instead of the Antec 550w if needed.

I have 3 options..
  • Upgrade now with what’s available currently.
  • Wait until later this year for more information on Windows 11 and what Adler Lake has to offer.
  • Wait until 2025 when Windows 10 is no longer supported.
I personally am leaning towards option 2. I was thinking at least an 10700k or maybe even a 10900k. Or maybe something that Adler Lake has to offer when it’s released.
Any thoughts?

Current Setup:

CPU: 3770k @ 4.4ghz
Motherboard: P8P67 Pro
GPU: EVGA GTX 1660 Super
RAM: RIPJAWS 16gb @ 2133
Hard Drive: EVO 860 1 TB
Power Supply: Antec 550w 80+ Bronze
Cooling: Hyper 212 EVO
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

As someone also on an overclocked 3770K with a GPU upgraded a few years ago, I also say wait unless you have some app/game/process that is being held back by your current system.

It's still a lot of rumor and speculation, but from all appearances Alder Lake could be very interesting. There's also AMD Zen 4, and possibly before that the updated Zen 3 parts with the stacked cache process.

Win11 should be among the least of your concerns for upgrading, given that it doesn't appear to be a huge jump in any kind of capability (and whatever you get, even if a generation or two old, will support it just fine).

The current condition of Windows 11, at least for me, was kind of a mess. My Cinebench score dropped down by some 500 pts, on the other hand, my SSD was suffering with some lag and 350 on random writes instead of like 1500. It's an Optane stick, so take it as you will from an alpha state OS. I'd say it'd take at least a year for Win 11 to stabilize. That better CPU scheduling is available on the most recent version of Win 10 too now.

I love that CPU, its what im still using too, also at 4.4ghz.

At 4.4ghz it gets a score of 342 in cinebench singlethread, for me to upgrade, it would take a CPU with twice the cores (8C/16T) and a singlethread score of more than 50% greater than 342 @ 4.4ghz (513+) all while retaining the same original cost, which for me was $230 on launch day (microcenter special). The 5800X is very close to my performance requirements, but nowhere near what im willing to pay in terms of overall cost. I say wait until W10 is EOL, and then get whatever CPU you wanted today for a fifth of the price.

I would not even start to consider Win11 in the equation here (if it is for gaming, if the little directx change is a game changer maybe, but I doubt it).

Like when it was perfectly viable to run winXp after vista-7 for year's, or run windows 7 for year's after the 8-10 got out, I expect it will be perfectly ok for private individual without a single issue to run Windows10 for year's after 11, probably much easier that the 2 example above because how similar 11 look to 10 and out of the box the driver seem to already work without any change, supporting 10 for company should be really easy.

Thanks for the insight everyone. Maybe I’ll hold off until I really need to do an upgrade. I do game casually. However nothing too demanding. Right now I’m gaming at 1080p and was looking into 1440p at some point.

Don't be in a rush. Most of what Windows 11 has of no interest to 99 percent of us. TPM 2.0...uh yeah, 99.9 percent of us could care less. I'm still running my system with the i7 3770K and have desire for Windows 11. See signature for full specs. And the system plays all the AAA stuff absolutely fine. Even plays MSFS20 at high settings 45-55fps

Back