• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Thoughts on this 5.1/7.1 setup/layout?

grendel240sx

Limp Gawd
Joined
Sep 30, 2004
Messages
497
Hey all,

I picked up a 7.1 setup from a friend today, before I re-arange my room to make it fit can someone take a look at this pic?

http://i.imgur.com/MTnQt.jpg

I'd like to run both my computer and TV through this. Setting it up like this, the right channel will be about 3 - 4 feet from me when I am at the PC but the left channel will be about 10-15 feet away. The rear will be about the same, with the right channel close but the left pretty far away.

The system does 7.1 but I read it works better as a 5.1 so I'll probably arange the speakers that way.

Do you think this will sound ok? Anyone have theirs setup like this already? If it is too wacky I'll just set them up for my PC and leave the computer where it is now
 
What is your 7.1 setup? (aka what receiver) Most receivers allow for speaker calibration so the distance between the speakers should not matter if you adjust accordingly. I would also recommend your speakers not being blocked even partially, so I am a bit iffy on the spot of a center speaker behind your TV & Computer.
 
Found something interesting already, the receiver lets me setup two sets of speakers. I wire up the tv in a 5.1 setup, then run the extra two speakers to my computer desk and run it as a 2.1

I think this will work perfect for me, should have RTFM first I suppose :)

*edit* Hmm maybe not, it sounds like in this mode only analog sound (wanted to use optical out from my mobo) will come out of speaker set B (which is only a left and right channel and no sub)

Back to the drawing board

*edit2* The system came with a mic that measures the sound and adjusts it based on where you will be listening from. Only problem I see with this is I can adjust it for the PC location and have it sound wonky for the TV location or vice versa. Might just hook this up for my TV and keep using my 5.1 Klipsch at the PC until the amp completely burns out (it's flaky at the moment) and use headphones once these die. :(
 
Last edited:
Back
Top