• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Thoughts on OCZ ModXStream Pro 500W

OCZ doesn't have the best reputation. They aren't terrible PSU, but they are middle of the road at best. There is a reason they are this cheap, so don't push it to hard. It has decent reviews but there is a higher than average failure rate and the rebate is iffy.
 
It's a mediocre PSU. Probably capable of outputting its rated wattage, but I'd go with something better (and preferably independently-regulated) for a high-end system.
 
I would never make generalizations about OCZ PSs, because they have so many models, made by I don't know how many OEMs. For instance, in the StealthXStream line the 400w model is made by CWT (and has excellent reviews) and the 500w model is from FSP (and nothing special at all). Looking at pictures of the internals of the StealthXStream it is not just a modular version of the StealthXStream (I have no idea who OEMs it and none of the reviews I found identifies the OEM.)

Two sites, which seem to do decent PS tests (http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews.php?/power_supply/ocz_modxstream_pro_500w/1 and http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/psus/2009/04/02/ocz-modxstream-pro-500w-psu-review/1) gave it very good reviews.

Since you already have the PS, I wouldn't have any second thoughts about using it in your game rig, and putting the Seasonic in the HTPC. In fact that's probably the best appliction usage of those tow supplies.
 
I would never make generalizations about OCZ PSs, because they have so many models, made by I don't know how many OEMs. For instance, in the StealthXStream line the 400w model is made by CWT (and has excellent reviews) and the 500w model is from FSP (and nothing special at all). Looking at pictures of the internals of the StealthXStream it is not just a modular version of the StealthXStream (I have no idea who OEMs it and none of the reviews I found identifies the OEM.)
It's a Sirfa.
 
Back
Top