Thoughts on my solution for a "latency-free" PC-based recording solution...

jmroberts70

2[H]4U
So, my ultimate goal is to be able to record directly to my PC with as little latency as possible as my intention is to accompany myself as I lay down tracks so I'll need to be able to play back a previous track while recording a new one. I've been told that I need a couple of things to do this: 1) better software than Audacity (which is what I've been using) and 2) an external audio interface box

So my solution is the following:

Behringer FCA202 F-Control Audio Interface (a little over $60)

Behringer XENYX502 5-Channel Mixer (about $40)

I'm thinking of keeping each duty to an individual box as opposed to all-in-one solutions like a mixer / USB audio interface or a microphone that goes directly to USB. I already have a Sure SM58 but plan to eventually spring for a Heil PR40 if things take off. In any event, do you guys think this solution will work for what I want to do? What are your thoughts?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Software wise check out Cockos Reaper. It has an unlimited shareware trial and is dirt cheap if you decide to buy it.

To be honest I don't see the need for the Xenyx and I also wouldn't bother with firewire at this kind of level. USB2 has more than enough headroom for 2 channels I'd say go for this:

http://www.zzounds.com/item--LEXALPHA

Well, I just learned that the Sure Beta 58a microphone that I've had for years actually doesn't require phantom power so most of the looking I've been doing for a little mixer board to use before the digital audio interface has been a waste! Oh well, I guess that will save me a little money...

I've been reading reviews of many of the different USB and firewire audio interfaces and there seems to be a huge amount of audio quality issues with many of the lower-end devices. Even the Lexicon Alpha Desktop Recording Studio in your link above has a few bad raps from some reviewers for audio quality. My guess is that many of the reviewers either don't know what they're doing or there really is some merit to what they're saying...

Ok, so there's possibly another option out there but I'm not sure if it will work in my application: What about USB-microphones? There's the Audio-Technica AT2020 USB Microphone. It looks like a decent product for a reasonable price. But I'm not sure if I'd be able to just plug my headphones into the audio-out jack on my laptop or PC and hear back my recording latency-free. Do I absolutely need to be monitoring the recording from the audio interface to hear the least amount of latency? I'm guessing that the answer is yes and I'm just barking up the wrong tree with this thought but I'd like to know what you guys think...

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back