Thoughts on my setup

Mavsfan

Weaksauce
Hey all,

Been on Hardocp since the website was opened back in the past. I am looking for some input on my monitor setup.

I currently have two monitors, 1 Samsung 27" P2770HD and a Samsung 22" SA350 setup side by side, with the small one to the left.

I like the sharpness of the monitors, but I want to know if getting two Dell U2413Ms will do justice over these two or stick with what I have?

I use the second monitor for web browsing, etc... when gaming on the 27".

I am also thinking of changing monitors due to I am 7' tall and need a monitor stand for the VESA mounted ones.

Thanks

The U2413 is not a gaming monitor, it has high input lag and obvious ghosting issues (overshoot). It has a game mode with reasonably lower input lag but you can't change any color settings so you will be left with inaccurate colors+wide gamut color space over saturation.

If you have 600$ to drop on a U2413 I will encourage you to get a Viewsonic VP2770 (760$) which is the best 2560x1440 gaming monitor right now and sticking with one of your other displays for browsing. 650$ buys a Dell U2713HM which is basically the same thing (with higher input lag and the overdrive is not controllable) but it has matte coating cross hatching issues. The Asus PB278Q is another option but it uses LED PWM dimming which some people are sensitive to and it is not as good for gaming as the Viewsonic (Asus=Dell for games).

The Viewsonic has 4x USB ports which you might(not?) care about having. Viewsonic thread with reviews:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1732378&highlight=

Last edited:
Thanks, ill check that out. The 27" is great for reading and good (not the best by all means). The 22" I just got but definitely want to get rid of it for a better one.

The U2413 is not a gaming monitor, it has high input lag and obvious ghosting issues (overshoot). It has a game mode with reasonably lower input lag but you can't change any color settings so you will be left with inaccurate colors+wide gamut color space over saturation.

If you have 600$ to drop on a U2413 I will encourage you to get a Viewsonic VP2770 (760$) which is the best 2560x1440 gaming monitor right now and sticking with one of your other displays for browsing. 650$ buys a Dell U2713HM which is basically the same thing (with higher input lag and the overdrive is not controllable) but it has matte coating cross hatching issues. The Asus PB278Q is another option but it uses LED PWM dimming which some people are sensitive to and it is not as good for gaming as the Viewsonic (Asus=Dell for games).

The Viewsonic has 4x USB ports which you might(not?) care about having. Viewsonic thread with reviews:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1732378&highlight=

Why do you suggest the as the best gaming monitor?

edit: To add to this, here are some quotes from their forums:

It has pretty high input lag according to http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/viewsonic_vp2770-led.htm

edit: Here are some quotes from their forums explaining discrepancies in reviews:

figurefive

Viewsonic VP2770 and its real input lag?
02/19/13 at 14:34:43 I'm currently in the market for a new 27" monitor and being a fairly serious gamer, input lag is one of my main concerns. I don't want to go back to a TN panel for 120hz so I've been looking for alternatives.

I became very interested in the Viewsonic VP2770 after seeing the very good review for it over at Prad.de where they liked most aspects of the monitor and also noted a 12.4ms input lag using their oscilloscope. But then I read the tftcentral review and you guys found a 26.2ms input lag. I believe this was before your oscilloscope setup, but does that really account for this much difference? Is there something else I'm missing here? Which reading is closer to the truth?

If the 26.2ms is the reality then I guess I will pick up the PB278Q instead

Simon Baker

Re: Viewsonic VP2770 and its real input lag?
Reply #1 - 02/19/13 at 15:33:00 it's a bit hard to know really. Our tests were based on SMTT 2 which is a reliable method for giving you the overall "display lag", that being the signal processing delay and an element of pixel response time within it. It was developed by Thomas Thiemann who did all the very advanced studies on input lag in the first place.

Prad's measurements supposedly use an oscilloscope to measure the two elements separately. Should be fine for measuring pixel response times i would expect, as that's what we now do with our setup too. however the other part of it is not so easy.

measuring pure signal processing lag with an oscilloscope is VERY difficult though in reality, needing very high bandwidths, expensive equipment and complicated methods. Their actual measurement techniques for input lag (or response time for that matter) are not explained at all anywhere, and i know some readers who've been in touch with us who've had no luck getting any explanation or answers from them. As a result, i'd suggest caution. they may well be accurate, but it's very hard to know when the testing method it's explained and may or may not be subject to errors anyway! We know they aren't using the same method Thomas used to measure signal processing, and that required equipment worth >100,000 Euro! What they now use could really be anything and may or may not be accurate, we just don't know. some people seem to follow the stat blindly based on the use of the word "oscilloscope" as well which is a bit risky.

for reference, overclockers.ru also tested the VP2770-LED with SMTT and got an average display lag of 26.3ms, so basically the same as ours.

http://translate.google.com/translate?langpair=ru|en&u=http://www.overcloc...

i'd suggest that's a pretty good indication of the overall lag of the screen in practice compared with a CRT. There's going to be an element within that of response time, but probably <8ms at an estimate.

Last edited:
Back