• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Thoughts on my i7 920 temps

Acejam

Weaksauce
Joined
Nov 4, 2009
Messages
65
Hey all,

Built a new rig this past weekend. Right now I'm running stock "auto" settings, including ram. Basic rundown:

Antec 1200 case w/ 6 stock fans
Intel Core i7 920 D0 Chip
Cooler Master V8 heatsink
Asus P6T Mobo
6 GB OCZ RAM

I have included a screen shot below of my current temps.As you can see, they're as 34-30-36-31. Does this sound reasonable given my setup? On stock settings with an Antec 1200 case, I was expecting temps a tiny bit lower. (28-30ish across the board)

I plan on running this D0 chip stock for a while. Either way, I'm not too worried, but I just wanted check in real quick and see what some other members thought.

Thanks,
Ace

temps.png
 
Yes, those temps are fine. Load temps are more important than idle temps.
 
Looks fine to me, my 920@3.6 idles at ~40C, my all time max was 74C with the heater cranked up in my room. :D
 
Awesome, good to know.

I used the small white stick of thermal paste that came with my Cooler Master V8. Although I also had a stick of Artic Silver 5 lying around...I opted to use the cooler master stuff because it came with my new heatsink vs. my 2 year old AS5 stick.....

Do you think Artic Silver 5 would provide me with lower temps? (is AS5 better than the basic CM paste?)
 
I used the small white stick of thermal paste that came with my Cooler Master V8. Although I also had a stick of Artic Silver 5 lying around...I opted to use the cooler master stuff because it came with my new heatsink vs. my 2 year old AS5 stick.....

Do you think Artic Silver 5 would provide me with lower temps? (is AS5 better than the basic CM paste?)
You might get lower temps with AS5, but realistically there will be no meaningful difference. In my opinion, it's not worth the effort.
 
Variations among different thermal pastes are 2-3C at most. Also, show load temps - idle temps don't mean much.
 
So last night I re-seated my Cooler Master V8. What a pain, considering that I had to take the motherboard out. (Antec 1200 case has no CPU retention)

I used the the provided sample of thermal paste that came with the CM V8, not the included white tube. The included sample is Cooler Master's ThermalFusion 400.

After getting everything back together, it appears that my idle temps dropped about 2c. (degrees celsius)

The lowest idle temps that I've seen so far are: 33-27-34-29. I'm definitely happy.

I am running a blend torture test now using Prime95, with stock auto settings, hyperthreading on, and it's running against all 8 cores..

Below is a screenshot. I'm not sure why it came out small, but the full load temps are:
56-52-55-52

How do these load temps look for a stock D0 i7 920?

load.png
 
Let prime95 work for a bit before taking a screen shot. Take a screen shot say 10 mins in. That way it has been working for a while and you get a more realistic temp.
 
Damn, those are pretty damn good load temps compared to my 920 CO @ 3.36 GHz, 1.25 Vcore w/ the same cooler (V8). When I run linx and max all 8 threads, I get up to friggin ~88°C! Which is barely better than the stock i7 cooler. I think maybe the paste isn't evenly applied or something because my temps aren't really correlating to anyone elses temps with the V8. My case is a Thermaltake Armor+ mid tower with a big-ass 230mm fan on the side, so it should have sufficient air to it. I should prolly re-apply and re-seat the cooler, but I really don't feel like taking everything out just to do that, heh.
 
Let prime95 work for a bit before taking a screen shot. Take a screen shot say 10 mins in. That way it has been working for a while and you get a more realistic temp.

Exactly.

Your temps should be a lot higher than that running Prime95 on air. From the screenshot you took it appears you JUST started it up and took a snap...Let it run for 20-30 mins. BEFORE you even start looking at the temps. You will be ~70-85c and that is being generous.

I am running a D0 920 @ 4.2GHz with 1.45v with Hyperthreading on and after 30 mins (using watercooling so this allows everything to reach max temp) I hit about ~78-81c max.(~44c idle at desktop)...and that's considered a good temp.
That is with a very very good loop and also cooling the NB/SB...

Your temps are way too low even for stock settings with a V8.

Also, what is your ambient room temp?
 
I just want to reiterate, all settings are set to auto. I'm running the stock 2.66ghz speed, but CPU-Z shows ~2800 mhz.

My vcore varies between 0.94v and 1.20v. That 2nd screen shot was taken about 5-10 minutes after Prime95 began.

I let Prime95 run for about 8 hours yesterday, and the highest temp recorded was exactly 60c.

Max temps were:

60-57-60-56 (running all 8 threads)

The ambient temperature of my room is about 68-70 degrees Fahrenheit.. It's winter time now, so I have the heat set to 68 degrees F. For my cpu temps, I've been using HWMonitor, and have found that it gives the exact same readings as CoreTemp and other utilities.

In my old Chieftec Dragon case with my E6600 C2D, I had awful cooling. Therefore, I decided to go all out on my case this time around. I have a feeling that the 6+ fans in my Antec 1200 are working pretty well. (and they are all set to their lowest speed setting)

I am curious to see what kind of temps I get when overclocking. I'm looking for about 4ghz, that would be really nice. What would you consider a "safe" range to be in, temp-wise, for a D0 i7 920? (load & idle)
 
Your CPU is at 2800mhz because of the turbo mode which gives it that 1 extra mutliplier, another 133mhz.

Personally I wouldn't go over 85C but everyone has their limits, I managed to hit 3.8ghz at 85C during the summer with my V8 in a 77-80F degree room (bad airconditioner).
 
I think those load temps look just fine. I have a 920 OC to 3.2 on a Zalman 9900, and my load temps on Prime95 are about 65-67C.

Personally, I would want to keep my load temps no higher then 80-85C. Others may say it's OK to go higher, but I would be uneasy at anything higher than 85C.
 
Your CPU is at 2800mhz because of the turbo mode which gives it that 1 extra mutliplier, another 133mhz.

Personally I wouldn't go over 85C but everyone has their limits, I managed to hit 3.8ghz at 85C during the summer with my V8 in a 77-80F degree room (bad airconditioner).

I see that your running your 920 @ 4.2 ghz now. What are your temps at that speed? How much voltage did it take? (other settings?)

I'm new to the i7/quadcore game, and need to learn how to overclock these chips. I'm used to C2D's with a FSB :D
 
I'm on watercooling now though with a Heatkiller 3.0 Copper Block. 201x20 with the turbo enabled at about 75 degrees at 1.3 Vcore. Hyperthreading on, Vdroop off, VTT at +175.
 
Back
Top