Thoughts on keyboard options?

Ratmonger

n00b
Hello all,

Was wondering if anyone had insight to offer on keyboards. Looking to replace my emergency $9 Connectland keyboard with something a little more permanent :D Generally I prefer simple mechanical keyboards and really dislike flashy over-the-top ones with a bunch of options I will hardly ever use e.g. Logitech G15.

Options so far:
Steelseries 7G: Seems to be very well built with quality parts and a simple design. Leaning towards this.
Microsoft Sidewinder X4
Razer Lycosa

If anyone has any thoughts or experiences with any of these (or any other suggestions) I would be very greatful if you shared them.

Thanks,
Rat

What are you doing? You could get a Unicomp SpaceSaver for $80, which is basically a modernized IBM Model M.

filco makes some great mechanical keyboards, but they can be a little pricey $100+

Seconding this. I recently picked up my first Filco Majestouch 2 (MX Brown Switches). Best move I've ever made in terms of keyboard purchases. This thing is amazing and responsive. A real joy to type and game on.

Never going back to cheapy membrane keyboards again.

Im really liking my Razor BlackWidow. Perhaps a little flashier than I would have liked, but the price/awesome ratio cant be beat ;)

I really like my MS natural 4000, thought the split board was going to be annoying, but I really love it. Unless you one finger type its a great keyboard. When I move to my laptop I get lazy and revert to slow two finger typing but this keyboard really makes it feel "right" to stick to positioned typing. Also when I go back and forth the full press of my MS makes my laptop feel so cheap and not working right because of the thin profile. I do recommend finding one that has a stiff tactical feel.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, really appreciate it.

Pylon said:
What are you doing?

Probably should have posted that originally. Mostly gaming though I do a lot of typing and word processing, far more than I want to :p

Seconding this. I recently picked up my first Filco Majestouch 2 (MX Brown Switches). Best move I've ever made in terms of keyboard purchases. This thing is amazing and responsive. A real joy to type and game on.

Never going back to cheapy membrane keyboards again.

What are your experiences with it in terms of gaming and generally? ie responsiveness, pressure required, key size, spacing, etc. I like the simple style and reviews seem rather favourable.

Filco Majestouch 2 (MX Brown) = very responsive, not much pressure required very comfortable pressing, key size is standard, same with spacing.

It is indeed very simple and functional. A real joy to touch type on. The MX Brown switches are also quieter than the MX Blues, so it isn't as distracting for people around you.

I game a lot on these too, mostly FPS (BFBC2, etc).

All around highly recommended. This keyboard is 100/100 :)

Unicomp for typing its awesome with best tactile feel and clicketly clack

Any KB with black or clear cherry switch for gaming. Typing on them kinda sucks.

Since you do both I'd get blues found in KB like razors.

For gaming + typing/normal use, my research and personal recommendation points to Cherry MX Brown Switches.

Filco Majestouch 2 (MX Brown) = very responsive, not much pressure required very comfortable pressing, key size is standard, same with spacing.

It is indeed very simple and functional. A real joy to touch type on. The MX Brown switches are also quieter than the MX Blues, so it isn't as distracting for people around you.

I game a lot on these too, mostly FPS (BFBC2, etc).

All around highly recommended. This keyboard is 100/100 :)

Really appreciate the advice. Did some research for a few hours after reading this and I'm seriously considering purchasing one.

blitzio said:
For gaming + typing/normal use, my research and personal recommendation points to Cherry MX Brown Switches.

I've come to the same conclusion. Would like the blacks for FPS as that's generally what I play but from what I've read they're not the best to type on.

i didnt think so either, the steelseries 6gv2 had excellent reviews on amazon, although mx blacks arent the best for typing, but there not bad. know what i mean?

I recommend against browns if you rest fingers on KB. Basically they are too light to depress IMO. Blues is best choice first time out like black widow has for $69.

i didnt think so either, the steelseries 6gv2 had excellent reviews on amazon, although mx blacks arent the best for typing, but there not bad. know what i mean?

well, best is obviously a subjective word

what's best for one person might not be best for another.

After doing some research on mechanical keyboards, I found out that brown switches are good for both gaming and typing. The feel is in between the blacks and blues. I am now using a DAS keyboard with brown switches and laser etched key labels.

Make these your guideline in buying a mechanical keyboard:
1. Determine what type of switches (Blacks, Blues, Browns, etc.)
2. Determine how the keys are printed on the KB
3. Determine if you can buy replacement keys on the KB

most mechanical keyboards are extremley durable as they should be for the money ur paying. does anybody recomend a das professional?

most mechanical keyboards are extremley durable as they should be for the money ur paying. does anybody recomend a das professional?

I am using a Das professional right now. I can definitely recommend it. The pictures on their website do not give justice to how this thing actually looks in person. Its glossy look is very very nice.

I must say that although mechanical keyboards are really durable, so are the cheap ones. I've seen a lot of cheap keyboards getting very dirty, dropped, etc. but they still work.

if ur going for a non mechanical keyboard get a logitech g series. there good but not as good as a mechanical : )

nothing wrong with typing on blacks

Compared to what? I own black and clear (bottom out switches) and nothing touches blues or unicomp springs for typing. You waste a lot of energy and time going all the way down w/ black/clear & reds, but of course prevents double tapping in gaming.. Don't get me wrong black are miles better than rubber dome with regards to everything but there are way better typists KBs.

Last edited:
compared to blues, browns, and reds i find nothing wrong with typing on blacks.

I recommend the Steelseries 6Gv2. It lacks the audio and USB ports of the 7G but it is $50 cheaper. A good trade IMHO.

Before I got the 6Gv2 I had a Filco with brown switches, and I ended up selling it because the keys were too sensitive for me. I was making way more typing and gaming errors than I was used to, but that's just me. Some people prefer blue switches, others brown or black. Depends.

The Steelseries is also beefier and heavier with less flex than the Filco, something else I noticed.

Last edited:
Not a fan of mechanical keyboards myself. Mechanical are not necessarily better. It is all a matter of opinion.

That i-Rocks keyboard looks cheap and flimsy. Not too sure how one would seek out that board. Perhaps if you are looking into a feminine keyboard. But it still looks too cheap even for that.

I would just stick with the usual suspects Microsoft, Logitech, Razer, Saitek, etc.

Gaming keyboard = keyboard + backlight. You should be able to find one for under $50. If you seek a LCD screen or any other gimmick, be prepared to get rapped.

Indeed a lot of the so called "Gaming keyboards" are just gimmick and costs a whole lot....

It's not really necassary for me to get a backlit keyboard, I know where all the keys are :D About to pull the tirgger on a Majestouch 2 Ninja Tenkeyless with MX Browns. Unfortunately there's only one reseller in Aus so the price is a little high. I guess I'll never have to buy another keyboard again though so the investment is probably worth it.

i like mx blues are better in my opinion, browns kind of lose that tactile feel, there more sensitive.

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of Deck... Have been on my Legend Toxic for a year now and I love it.

is it really worth the price tag??? and i dont like the weird font on the keys and shape of the board itself. but ive never used one

Back