Thoughts on Halo PC?

Michigan PC

[H]ard|Gawd
what do you guys think about the halo pc game? I personally love it and like the different skins and mods available. What do you guys think?

hated it

Granted I played it just recently for the first time on xbox...I see why people say the xbox version is more fun: CO-OP. If the pc version had co-op, I would probably think the game was more fun enough to buy. I can't stand it though.

I have it and don't like it, I don't know what it is, the weapons suck and the reticule is pretty lame. Also the frames are capped at 30. The single player mode, from my experience, is very glitchy, the cars can get stuck in doorways and you have to restart. The game is very repetitive as well. I just don't like it, especially when there are so many better FPSs out there.

I worked on it, and I'm really not too fond of it. I don't think I can really go into specifics about it, (I believe I'm still under 5 year NDA on that,) but it could have been a WHOLE LOT better than it was with just a bit more work. Some of the things that happened during developement were really beyond me. I refused to play the XBox version because I don't play FPSes with gamepads, so it was nice to get a chance to play the game finally. It's a good game, and in many ways (on a good system) it's better than the XBox version. However, knowing what it COULD have been gives it a bad taste for me.

i played both...xbox and pc

i tried so hard to get used to FPS on a console but I cant get into it/used to the controls. The CO:OP was very cool but I just couldnt get into the game because of the controls.

I actually really liked the PC version. The storyline was awesome and my video card at the time handled it very well. My only complaint was that the game could have been so much more. Not having a CO:OP was killer....it was basically a xbox port. Typcially you see a game being ported from the PC to a console and lacking features....but this was the other way around....ah, the potential. Other then that, I found the game to be enjoyable and pretty long....i felt like i got my $20 out of it.

I liked the story.
The weapons seemed weak.
The graphic was very good for the time it was made, but it could have been very cool if it was cranked up to challenge the power of a pc.

I just got a 360 and Im gonna load up Halo 2 and see how I like the console stuff. Ive never been good at console controllers, my son on the other hand is a genius. Im looking forward to the CO-OP.

Halo PC is one of my all time favorite PC games. In fact, I like it so much that I reinstalled &
played it through all over again once I upgraded to my unlocked & OCed 6800nu graphix card.

Plus I have gone through a couple times on heroic using only one specific weapon each time.
Which can be quite a challenge at certain points. Taking out the shield guys with the needler for instance.

BTW ... I tried the console version many times. I just can't stand using a console controller for a
FPS game. Mouse control rules!

P. S. - is there any talk of bringing Halo2 to the PC? I'd definitely be up for that. :D

ScreamingBroccoli said:
I have it and don't like it, I don't know what it is, the weapons suck and the reticule is pretty lame. Also the frames are capped at 30. The single player mode, from my experience, is very glitchy, the cars can get stuck in doorways and you have to restart. The game is very repetitive as well. I just don't like it, especially when there are so many better FPSs out there.
I'm sorry, but you're wrong. I've surpassed 150 fps with my GeForce 5900FX in Halo PC. I play hardcore multiplayer, alot, and I've turned down my settings to the limit. Try running Halo with the -forceff command line tag. It's a beautiful game if you download the XBox texture pack and use the 2.0++ shaders (another command line argument). Halo 2 PC is never going to happen. Halo 3 PC might.

dont buy it dont rent it dont look at it dont even think about it!!!! not worth the effort, and for those who loved halo for pc than they must not know a quality game from a POS, IMO.

I played it on both the PC and the XBox. The co-op was fun on the Xbox but I was pretty lousy at that time so I spent most of my time getting killed and respawning.

I remember it played fine on my Geforce 3. I prefered the single player experiance on the PC. Pretty good game but the levels and scenary was pretty repetative.

I hated that crap, wasted 30 bucks a year ago. Looks very cartoonish, ran like crap( on 9800xt) I cann see why people enjoys it on Xbox... it's like the only decent fps lol.

Techx said:
dont buy it dont rent it dont look at it dont even think about it!!!! not worth the effort, and for those who loved halo for pc than they must not know a quality game from a POS, IMO.
LMAO!! ... thanx for the laugh.

Oh ... I am well aware that HaloPC is not AA capable. :p

Those who say the game looks like total crap on PC & get poor frame rates must have driver
issues or something. The skt.A system in my sig below has no trouble running that game
with decent frame rates at 1200x1600, and all the game vid settings maxed out.

Techx said:

I wouldn't go that far. It runs flawlessly on my PC. The reasons I have for not liking it are developement related. If you like the XBox version, there is no reason not to like the PC version, (provided you can get it to work well on your system, as that's where many of the problems lie.) I don't LOVE it by any means, but it isn't as bad as you say it is. There are MANY better games for the PC though, so it's easy for me to pretend that Halo PC doesn't exist. If you don't have DX8/9 hardware though, I'd forget about it. The low-end version of the engine makes it look absolutely disgusting. (too bad we don't have a puking smily here)

I really enjoyed the game. The bad parts as I saw them:

1) Crappy save system
2) Vehicles had a tendency to get stuck.

other than that I really liked it and wish that Halo 2 had come to the PC.

I agree with some ppl here I have the Xbox Version (first game I own for the xbox) Play it love it, tryed the Halo pc demo and it was just awefall.I then tryed the Multiplayer other the net on the pc version and it was crap , it was way buggey maybe because its a demo I dont know.

So my thoughts on Halo Pc....Crap!!!.

Unless the full version is better than the demo version I played,if anyone here has played both please tell me if the full version is better.

I thought it was OK. I remember it ran like crap, and was pretty buggy, too. SP wasn't too great. MP was fun for awhile.

Tell me more about this xbox texture pack...I was unaware of such a thing.

I like that fact that I could run it in widescreen on my PC. Never had a prob with performance.

Just about every FPS for the PC that has ever been released since the dawning of the computer era is better than Halo for the PC...but it was still fun. If Halo2 is released for PC, once it is on the discount racks I might consider buying it.

I was enjoying the game (kinda) until I got to "The Silent Cartographer." From that level onward, the blatant laziness of the level design really pissed me off. Probably the worst part of any FPS I've ever played was when the Flood was released. It wasn't hard at all, it was the most boring part of any FPS I've ever played. I mean, MY GOD MAN. THERE ARE ONLY TWO CORRIDOR DESIGNS!!!!!!!!

Other quirks that weren’t game breakers were: Only two weapons were useful. The game play itself was pretty slow...and MARINES RAWR MDK HOOAAA!!!!@!!@! RUN AT THE FLASHES !! RUN AT THE FLASHES!!!

What I loved the most were some of the online maps for Halo PC. I wish some of those maps would've been recycled when they made multiplayer maps for Halo 2. I want my flamethrower!

It was pure crap. Looked like crap, ran like crap, had a terrible story, and the weapons/vehicles were klunky as hell.

However, I've seen some videos of the xbox version and it looks like it would be quite a bit better, but I'm not sure if it's because it only has to hold up to console standards.

It was the first PC game for some reason that got me interested in computers and made me build a new one so that I could play it.

But now... after playing good games like HL2, BF2, etc... I don't like it at all.

I don't play it anymore, nor wood I, but it was fun for a while. There are only a couple of good weapons like others have said. I don't really like the indoor levels at all. They don't look that great. The first couple of levels though were quite fun. Also, in MP modes, it's fun to see how many of the vehicles you can get stacked up on the narrow land-bridges. :D (I think in the canyon level)

i'm sure halo 3 will be on PC about when halo 4 comes out.

I love halo personally, but the pc version defintitely wasn't as fun as xbox. I love xbox multiplayer, halo was freaking sweet before halo 2 came out. Now I like the battle rifle over the pistol, but the pistol definitely used to be freaking awesome. Who really cares about only one gun being good if everyone gets it? Much more strategic.

Going back to it now though, the pistol's spray is too much. The battle rifle doesn't spray practically at all.

I liked Halo in its day, it's just an outdated shooter now. Don't know why people said it looks like crap, well it does now compared to these new shooters, but when it was released on PC, it looked pretty damn good. I remember playing the silent cartographer mission and being stunned at how good the water in the opening scene looked.

I have Halo 2 for Xbox and played through it, great game. I simply can't play a console FPS for long though, either PC or nothing. Friggin' hate analog sticks to aim. Wish it would come to the PC, but guess not.

Gimmee a mouse and keyboard over analog anytime. I am far more deadly. Had it for Xbox and beat the tar out of it. Then got it for PC. Thought the PC version much better in higher res and my PC sound is much better than TV. Missed co-op but that is about it.
Agree with many here about the redundancy of level design. Way too many of the same old recycled walls. Plot was good. Especially for a shooter, which are not known for their thoughtfullness and depth. Dunno why but Halo2 just did not wow me at all. Did not hold my interest at all.

I honestly think that some people post about how they "Hated" it so much is simply because a.) they are mad that a console got a bitchin' FPS, and it was crappily ported to the PC or b.) they just look at it as "a console FPS" and simply shut it down as one. That's all honesty right there.

lesman said:
I honestly think that some people post about how they "Hated" it so much is simply because a.) they are mad that a console got a bitchin' FPS, and it was crappily ported to the PC or b.) they just look at it as "a console FPS" and simply shut it down as one. That's all honesty right there.
I think I'll add a little more on: a) they think the story sucks b) level design was overused.

Well, a) if Halo story sucks, HL story suck just as muc (don't even get me started), and b) I agree, the levels were uninspiring. Gearbox did very well with the multiplayer maps, why couldn't Bungie ask them for a little help with the campaign?

Like I said, everyone that thinks the PC version's graphics suck, go download the upgraded skin pack from http://www.halomods.com and then add "-use20" on to the end of you Halo shortcut. Good as Xbox!

lesman said:
or ... c.) they didn't install the patch which fixes many of the problems with the original release.
That's my opinion from reading some of the complaints lodged here.

If you are stuck with low to mid-level settings I can see how you might think
the game looks like crap.

In all honesty I was amazed at how different HaloPC felt after upgrading to an unlocked
6800nu from a 9500np. This was most dramatic with the cloaked (invisibility shield)
enemies. At low/mid level game video settings they looked like blurry blobs.
However after the upgrade, and maxing out all the game vid settings, they were invisible.
You could actually see the lighting from weapon effects behind them warping around their shield.

Played and beat the X-Box Version. Was fun but only the coop made it fun. Played and beat the PC version. Could of been A HELL OF LOT better. The 30 fps cap was fucking retarted as well.

Without network Co-op, I have no idea why they even made it. I mean I had a mild amount of fun playing with the vehicles and it was silly sometimes online, but it wore off after a couple of days and then there was just the single player game left. Once I was done with that, there was nothing left to do.

Even tho it was hit or miss on a lot of computers... It owned the XBOX verison...

Edit: Gearbox did a shitty job at porting it over... And the network coding issues kept us from getting co-op mode. Also after 1-2 seasons of CAL everyone quit playing pretty much and that's the only reason why Halo 2(console game) actually got on the booking to be played becuase everyone went back to the xbox. The game was orginally sopose to be a PC game and MS pulled it to become one their titles for the xbox and they got lucky they did. The game could have been awesome if it was made for the PC by bungie like it orginally was going to and all first reports had no Idea what the game was going to do. It was a sleeping gaint and MS got lucky with it. Just a shame the PC port had to suck d. It was actually fun to play online and compete in 5v5 CTF games.

I enjoyed the game, the fire fights were good on the ship, after that it was weak. The part where you follow the "Spark" around fighting "The Flood" grew very old very, very fast!

Overall I liked it, but it wasn't the "SUPER AWESOME GAME" it was made out to be.

I bought, installed, uninstalled and posted it on eBay within the space of 2 hours; the day it was released.

i love halo for pc....i play almost everyday...when is halo 2 gona b on pc? that will b the day!

Halo for the PC paled in comparison with its xbox counterpart. I got the game a little late and now I can never find a non-laggy server. The xbox version just felt better plus it had CO-OP.

Back