Thoughts on EVGA 1080 Ti FE? Worth the step up from 1080 FTW Gaming ACX3?

Punkrulz

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey guys,

So apparently I made a relatively big mistake when it came to reading the fine print. I was really hoping that I could step up from my EVGA 1080 FTW Gaming ACX 3.0... I had seen that they are releasing their 1080 Ti variant and that's what I wanted. I had to go through and purchase the extended warranty because I registered my card 3 days too late. That's $30 right there.

Upon further reading, the Ti FTW or other series are not available via step-up... only the 1080 Ti FE. I'm wondering about this and am in the process of researching, but what are your thoughts? Is the FE worth the extra money to drop right now, despite the fact it has the one cooling fan and doesn't come OC'ed out of the box? Or should I lick my wounds and not pursue this?

I am doing this step as I went from 1080 FTW to the FTW 2 promo for early owners and now I am going FTW 2 to 1080Ti FE. I keep reading about very satisfied owners of the FE and since I am going to be swapping 2 this week the blowers will work better in my SLI configuration.

Worse case scenario say the one of the fans go bad you could replace it easier because there are more founders editions cards out there.
Unless you watercool then whatever just get another pump.

Thats a tuff one.. the fe will be louder.. power limited as well but faster as its a ti.

Id say go for it if your planing on water cooling.

If your going with 2 then forsure fe if your not water cooling.

If it was me . Id just sell it and buy a non fe ti.

Really though.. its like 20fps faster then a 1080.. if your doing 4k then i guess go for it.

in my opinion it depends on what games you play and what resolution you run; if you are a general gamer running a 60Hz 1440p monitor the 1080Ti in any form will offer very little right now over a 1080. If you have something like a Predator if will give you higher refresh rates, but it is up to you as to whether you will feel the higher framerates.
If you are running a 4K monitor the difference will be huge, vanilla 1080's can't really keep up at 4K despite what Nvidia wants you to believe, whereas the 1080Ti comes a whole lot closer, especially if you own a G-Sync monitor. If you play niche titles (Japanese console ports come to mind) with erratic performance it is nice to have the reassurance that the 1080Ti will give you the best possible experience you can get under $1200.

how much for the step up? the 1080ti is dope, what resolution/refresh do you game at? 1080P/1440P/4K 60hz/120hz/144hz? What games do you play?

Back