Thoughts on buying a MBP now or waiting for Merom or next rev. models

NulloModo

Supreme [H]ardness
Hi,

I recently switched employers, and while my old one gave me a free laptop to use, my new one does not. I have a desktop that is great at home, but I sort of miss my laptop too.

My main computer is WindowsXP based, but I would like something MacOS in a laptop. The only problem is the current MBPs don't have high enough resolutions.

Have there been any reports on AppleInsider or the sort of higher res displays on newer models? Does anyone think they will offer a WUXGA screen on a system to come within then next year or so? If so I'm willing to wait. If not, I guess I will go with a Dell or something else that will give me the pixels I crave.

BTW - I'd prefer a 17" model, it a 15.4" with the same resolution as I want. I don't want anything smaller than that.

EDIT:

The processor thing isn't a big deal for me, I just figured they might offer higher end displays when they revamp the line. Anything Core Duo would be faster than the 1.6 Ghz P-M I had in my last laptop.

Tomahawk said:
The 17" MBP has a 1680x1050 display.

How much resolution do you need?

I'd like 1920x1200 like the Dell's and other Windows based PCs offer.

NulloModo said:

in a laptop??????
you wont be able to read anything on 15 inch screen at that resolution.

Beggars can't be choosers :rolleyes:

Do you want a mac as a Mac or a machine to use windows on? Macs are in a class of their own, you mustn't want the features of a Dell to be replicated to a mac.

tsn | spazz said:
Beggars can't be choosers :rolleyes:

Do you want a mac as a Mac or a machine to use windows on? Macs are in a class of their own, you mustn't want the features of a Dell to be replicated to a mac.

I would love a Mac, but I don't want to sacrifice screen real estate

Right now, I'd wait for Merom... It's only like 2-3 months away. 2 Months ago, I'd have said go for it (as mine is plenty fast enough for my needs).

hungryduck said:
in a laptop??????
you wont be able to read anything on 15 inch screen at that resolution.
I beg to differ. I had a 6000D from dell over a year ago with a WUXGA screen 1920x1200 resolution.....and i absolutely LOVED the screen. It was my favorite thing about it. Yes it took some getting used to, and some people didnt like it. But for my young eyes and my thirst for screen realestate....it was simply awesome. (15.4in screen at 1920x1200).
As a side note, i think you should wait till the next revision of the macbookpro's. That is also what i am doing. Yes i know OSX is better at handeling screen realestate than windows by a long shot, but i want at least 1680x1050 on a 15.4in MBP. And from 'rumors' ive read that could well be on the horizon. If they upgrade the screen in the 15.4in....im assuming they would upgrade the 17in as well. Also, the Merom chip will be faster/cooler (ok maybe not cooler overall, but it will be less watts/performance than current chips).

my 2cents.

NulloModo said:
Hi,

I recently switched employers, and while my old one gave me a free laptop to use, my new one does not.

They made you give back the laptop? How rude.

NulloModo said:
Wouldn't a 1920x1200 Laptop be a DTR? In the end that is a higher resolution than most people run on the desktop.

drizzt81 said:
Wouldn't a 1920x1200 Laptop be a DTR? In the end that is a higher resolution than most people run on the desktop.
Exactly :)
In a way, id like to think all laptops have become desktop replacements, i know i know...let me explain. What can a desktop do that you cant give to a different machine?

Computing goes to laptop...if you want a big screen and the desktop accessories...by all means plug them in when you get to your desk or get a dock or something.

Storage goes to server and or portable hard drive. (i do both)

Gaming goes to console (xbox360 or the like) (i know, some games arent on console or suck on console like my favorite...RTS games).

So when it comes down to it, who really needs a desktop? Only a select few i would argue (mind you this argument doesnt take into account money...pretend you have a lot of it).
A desktop is slowly going towards two things, a cheap gaming computer all in one machine, or a powerhouse workstation for cad or heavy graphics or something.
Feel free to argue my points or add your own, but thats just what i see happening.
(on an ending note, most RTS games arent very 3d intensive, so i can play them on a laptop just fine...at least the old good ones.....go go RA2 :) )

Back