thoughts on adjustable height standing desks

jamsomito

2[H]4U
Hi all -

I'm considering building a custom standing desk. It would be nice to have the flexibility to move between standing and sitting whenever I want also. Before I started I wanted to get your feedback to see what those of you think who have one or have considered one at one point.

My options are:
1. Make two rigid sections of the desk, one at standing height and one at sitting height, but have to move my monitor/keyboard/mouse every time I switch.
2. Make the main section of the desk adjustable in height so I can stand/sit whenever I want.
3. Abandon the idea and sit on the floor.

Thoughts?

Anyone?

I just realized my title could be construed as I have some thoughts on standing desks... I do, I think I'm interested. But that's it. Looking for your thoughts on them here. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Standing desks are fantastic for your back. However, I'm not sure I would recommend building one yourself, unless you have a high threshold for things that are never quite right. Some people are okay with the models that are essentially a keyboard tray and monitor mounts on a slide, but I have a tendency to be working with lots of notebooks and such, so they don't work for me. The other option is something life the ikea models that raise the entire desktop, but they aren't exactly free.

Back