Thoughts about that "Cover Up"

I thought this would just be an interesting title until someone does happen to post a pic..

What are the compelling thoughts about laptops / desktops that have it's signs of wear and tear / abuse.. ?

Would you keep it to it's factory glory or cover it up with a coat of paint ? Perhaps you would slap on a bunch of stickers ?

I ask this with the reason of curiousity.

Direct ALL Pictures to this thread http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1434977

Last edited:
If a case is really beat up and I cared about its aesthetics, I'd probably repaint it. Otherwise, I wouldn't bother. In general, small cosmetic issues don't really bother me as long as there's nothing wrong with the case itself.

Kinda varies for me:

A chopped up case, scratched shows it's use, and how long the user(s) have had it. Looks more...geeky.. If the scratch shows *too* much, nothing a stick can't fix :D

But, at the same time, I like to have sexy, perfect, defect-less case.

Here is my current project and I'm taking a picture to show the marks of the lid.. and if you can possably spot where I took a sticker off lol

Last edited:
Here is my current project and I'm taking a picture to show the marks of the lid.. and if you can possably spot where I took a sticker off lol

It looks like there was a dell emblem that was covered up., but had I not been looking for it, I wouldn't have noticed

Haha. I actually put stickers on my dell laptop over the lid scratches. But then again, I've been told I'm obsessive.

Battle scars are cool. Keep adding more. Nothing cooler than a well used case.

This one seems to feel true to me.. Battle Scars :D

I seem to have some on the glossy screen of the gateway ( I think Acer and Gateway are very very similar.. ) and it's not sitting to good with my thoughts on it. Glossy screens must really suffer and show it's wear unlike matte ?

Dell on the XPS systems had a cool cover you snapped on the front, I always use to slide artwork into it. You could custom paint the case or just apply some vinyl over it, plus that wouldn't scratch.

Continue with possable rig shots of the [H]ard beating they have been through.. I should name this thread " Post that Damaged Rig " :D Any Moderator care to "modify" ?!?!

I love cases that show signs of... well.... 'love'. I hate seeing people who have computers that look like they've never been used. I have wear marks on just about every inch of my laptop, and some nice scratches where I 'removed' the logos and model number on my lappy. It's now a nice Anonymous case :D My main rig is even worse, as I've done a very ghetto job adding more "speed holes" in it! But the airflow is much better now than it was stock ;)

Thought I would just add, I'm currently cleaning the internals of a Toshiba M50 laptop..

People say to use a lint free cloth.. I think my cat is going to be hairless pretty soon :p cause that damn hair is everywhere haha.

I hate stickers, but I also hate wear and tear :(

Hmm pokemon stickers would cover the scratches up... :p

or maybe some wood grain contact paper, that would catch peoples attention...

This thread needs more carnage imo. Surely someone has a really messed up rig they'd like to cover up? Or is it so well covered you forgot you broke it?

When I went to college I actually bought a steel midtower off newegg (raidmax or something, I can't remember) and beat the hell out of it so it looked like a bag of ass. After I swapped my (then pretty fuckin new) 3.8 P4 and 7800GTX in there nobody had a clue that my PC was a screamer.

Continue with possable rig shots of the [H]ard beating they have been through.. I should name this thread " Post that Damaged Rig " :D Any Moderator care to "modify" ?!?!

make a thread in the gallery...

i say leave it scratched up, it adds character :)

my most battle damaged machine has to be my old laptop, a Dell C600... i dont know how that thing survived... its been left out in the rain like 3 times, dropped off the roof of a car, had an Altec 9444B amplifier fall on it and scratch a deep chunk off the top lid of the LCD (and somehow didnt crack it?!) all of the paint got scratched off the metal covers on the bottom... ive got to take some pics of it lol

Back