Thought this is funny... but ...

tangoseal

[H]F Junkie
My furnace is broken in my home right now until Monday and I am running Prime95 on 12threads MAX heat on my 3930K OC'd just to warm up my office space haha. After about an hour now my room is 10deg warmer and my quad 120mm radiator is blowing nice and warm haha.

I might fire up my 6990 also to get some more warmth flowing.

So ..."you might be a geek if you use your watercooled 6 core as a space heater on cold nights" haha

Do something useful with all that power and run F@H ;)

I've been there and done that as well, although it was with my bedroom and I was filling sick. Dorm climate controls won't let it go above ~75 C, so I just shut it off and folded on my 275s and Phenom II x4.

Do something useful with all that power and run F@H ;)

I've been there and done that as well, although it was with my bedroom and I was filling sick. Dorm climate controls won't let it go above ~75 C, so I just shut it off and folded on my 275s and Phenom II x4.

That's what I do this time of year on my Athlon II X4/5850 machine.

What about those older PPC Macs? My dad owns a G5 that will raise the temperature in a small/medium-sized room by 17-22 degrees Fahrenheit (we've measured). Heck, when he was in Maine during late 2008 he used it as a space heater.

Now that I think about it, it's rarely used as an actual PC anymore. It's currently delegated to play a slideshow at the clinic he works at.

I think my old 980X + GTX280 system used more power at idle than my 2600k + GTX690 does at load

I put my tower in the coldest corner by a winter window. Keeps the temperature in that area well moderated for gaming sessions.

LOL I am remebering how I used to do the same exact thing. I also powered on my plasma tv and left it on sports. My room was a freaking toaster oven compared to the rest of the house.

every box in the house folds/mines at capacity this time of year

we huddle around our tech fire

980x is old and 2600k isnt?:confused:

Considering I no longer have the 980 but still have the 2600, yes. The 980 system died one day on a weekend and I wasn't about to be without a system all weekend so instead of spending the time/money to figure out if it was the MB or CPU I just went to MC and got a new 2600 + MB, esp considering how much more efficient SB was vs older chips. If it gets cold in the winter I can always put on more clothes, in the summer I can only get so naked.

If it gets cold in the winter I can always put on more clothes, in the summer I can only get so naked.

It's impossible to FPS in a cold room though, consider how the cold affects your finger joints. :p

My VM Farm system acts a heater as well. It keeps my room nice and comfortable, especially at night considering the temperatures here in the desert drop below freezing all the time now.

I had 2 GTX 470's in SLI that acted as a nice space heater. those suckers would get to 90C no problem.

I had an idea to heat up my old apartment of using a whole bunch of old radeons to bitcoin mine 24/7, using the bitcoins to pay for the electricity. Free heat, the nerd way.

I had an idea to heat up my old apartment of using a whole bunch of old radeons to bitcoin mine 24/7, using the bitcoins to pay for the electricity. Free heat, the nerd way.

Im running 4 5800's in my bedroom for heat. They paid the electric bill and a bit extra with free heat.

Back