Those of you thinking of getting the EVGA 8800GTS 640 from the Egg

wtf is going on, everyone told us to wait wait for the ati release and the prices will go down, so we waited and now all the prices are going up on BOTH ati cards and nvidia.... When will the prices on the 8800gtx drop to around $400ish?

Well they did go down..........for a week. Since the 2900XT wasn't priced competitvely enough and didn't outperform the 8800's enough to warrant the price (not to mention heat, power req, and noise), people started gobbling up the 8800's, like I did for $329 for my EVGA 8800GTS 640. Demand went up and so did the price. I knew the $329 I paid wasn't going to last long and I'm glad I jumped on it when I did. Don't worry, once the 65nm parts start shipping we get to go through the cycle all over again.

yeah, this is what i was thinking:

gts-$300ish
gtx-$400ish
ultra-$500ish

reality:

gts-$300ish
gtx-$500ish
ultra-$800ish

The problem was that "everybody" was nobody. It was just a rumor. Nvidia partners said nothing about any price drops and anything that WAS posted was just speculation.

The superclock crushes the 2900XT... its a very healthy overclock to say the least.

wtf is going on, everyone told us to wait wait for the ati release and the prices will go down, so we waited and now all the prices are going up on BOTH ati cards and nvidia.... When will the prices on the 8800gtx drop to around $400ish?

When ATI releases a card that can compete with it or when nVidia releases their next refresh.

The prices have gone up but you can get the SuperClocked version for the same price as the regular:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&Subcategory=48&description=&Ntk=&srchInDesc=

I just didn't want anyone who's going to pull the trigger to buy the normal one when you can get the SC for the same price.
The MSI card is going for $359, but of course you don't get EVGA's step-up program.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127280

that's why newegg isn't all that great.. if you don't mind the non-oc'ed version you can get it here for $330AR plus free shipping... myself.. I think I'll wait for the oc'ed 640 to drop down a bit

Cool stuff, got mine just-in-the-nik. :cool:

My apologies if I helped to create the demand; resulting in lower supply and higher pricing. ;)

Will order another EVGA 8800GTS 640 Superclocked in a week or two. Hopefully the prices stay put!

That price always was bestcase senario and with one of those dreaded MIR. Computer online prices fluctuate. *shrug* But if you keep looking around you'll find another spot.

That price always was bestcase senario and with one of those dreaded MIR. Computer online prices fluctuate. *shrug* But if you keep looking around you'll find another spot.

Evga is very good about their Rebates. It was very fast and i only had to call once.

Evga is very good about their Rebates. It was very fast and i only had to call once.
Call? You made a followup phone call?

P.S. It is my understanding that usually it isn't the company themselves. This stuff gets farmed out. You know that health insurrance company that got their asses sued for bullshit delaying paying on valid claims waiting for people to just go away and/or die? Well I'm guessing they got into a new industry. :eek: So sometimes you win the lottery, you don't get marked as random Joe for making the quota, and things go well. Sometimes not so much.... ;)

Is there any advantage to buying a factory overclocked card vs just buying a regular card and overclocking yourself? Do they use better chips or something? Higher overclocking ceiling? Anyone?

Call? You made a followup phone call?

P.S. It is my understanding that usually it isn't the company themselves. This stuff gets farmed out. You know that health insurrance company that got their asses sued for bullshit delaying paying on valid claims waiting for people to just go away and/or die? Well I'm guessing they got into a new industry. :eek: So sometimes you win the lottery, you don't get marked as random Joe for making the quota, and things go well. Sometimes not so much.... ;)

Yeah with all of the rebates i submit i usually call in one month after sending it in. Regardless of who it is.

Is there any advantage to buying a factory overclocked card vs just buying a regular card and overclocking yourself? Do they use better chips or something? Higher overclocking ceiling? Anyone?

I think that they get higher ceilings, its kinda hard to prove unless you have 100's of cards to test.

The title of this thread should have been "Those of you thinking of playing DX10 games with the 8800GTS should think again", because from what I've read on this forum and that forum is that the 8800GTS is not performing well with DX10. Just my $.02.

The title of this thread should have been "Those of you thinking of playing DX10 games with the 8800GTS should think again", because from what I've read on this forum and that forum is that the 8800GTS is not performing well with DX10. Just my $.02.

lol and how many ways are there to test DX10?

Typically it is the same parts as a standard card but that particular card has been factory tested at a higher speed and thus you can claim warantee if it fails to work at the specified clock frequency. But going above the specified "OC" frequency is the same thing as with a standard card going to that same higher frequency. So there really isn't any reason to expect that you push further than a standard card.

If the x2900xt would of crushed the 8800ultra prices would of came down, but who would of guessed that ati's new card was slow.

Supply and demand people - lots of people bought 8800GTS's the last 2 weeks, so Newegg raised prices when their supply got low.

Give it 2 weeks for supply to catch up, and both 8800GTS and 2900XT will be dropping in price.

nvidia_blur_large.jpg

The GTS will be a little slower obviously, but it looks like they are doing fine so far.

antiv6, that's running at 1280x720. That's not exactly rocking the house. :p Here is to hoping that Lost Planet and Juarez is just really poorly written code. ;)

antiv6, that's running at 1280x720. That's not exactly rocking the house. :p Here is to hoping that Lost Planet and Juarez is just really poorly written code. ;)

True, but it is giving 91 FPS average. You can turn up the resolution and still be "rocking the house" ;)

Also I bet if Legit Reviews used an overclocked C2D, he would pick up some extra frames because the GPU is bottlenecked a little.

True, but it is giving 91 FPS average. You can turn up the resolution and still be "rocking the house" ;)
Given how fast it went down with that step up, and that is average FPS, I think it is more Polka Kinging the House. :) As well the GTS numbers they have there, if I'm reading it correctly, are OCed ones. (not sure what is up with those Cave numbers though, no change from one to the next)

And this is with NVidia having prior access to the code so they likely have done a fair amount of DX10 optimizing already.
Also I bet if Legit Reviews used an overclocked C2D, he would pick up some extra frames because the GPU is bottlenecked a little.
Having to upgrade to an OCed (or in the future a quad I suppose if the game is multithreaded) processor? :rolleyes: The +5600 isn't exactly a slouch of a CPU.

P.S. I expect GTS/GTX/XT folk will be fine as long as they aren't expecting the best of eye candy at the top resolutions. It is those people that dropped cash for DX10 on 8500/8600 that are likely going *doh* right now.

Given how fast it went down with that step up, and that is average FPS, I think it is more Polka Kinging the House. :) As well the GTS numbers they have there, if I'm reading it correctly, are OCed ones. (not sure what is up with those Cave numbers though, no change from one to the next)

And this is with NVidia having prior access to the code so they likely have done a fair amount of DX10 optimizing already.

Having to upgrade to an OCed (or in the future a quad I suppose if the game is multithreaded) processor? :rolleyes: The +5600 isn't exactly a slouch of a CPU.

P.S. I expect GTS/GTX/XT folk will be fine as long as they aren't expecting the best of eye candy at the top resolutions. It is those people that dropped cash for DX10 on 8500/8600 that are likely going *doh* right now.

I recommended the C2D mainly because the 5600+ is slightly slower than the e6600 stock, but the C2D can be overclocked to 3-3.4 GHz without much trouble.

I recommended the C2D mainly because the 5600+ is slightly slower than the e6600 stock, but the C2D can be overclocked to 3-3.4 GHz without much trouble.
Yeah, but listen to yourself. We are talking 6 months or less to release and you are talking about OCing a top-end desktop CPU to run those games. It isn't like there is going to be that sort of advancement to cover that ground to stock in the meantime.

yeah, this is what i was thinking:

gts-$300ish
gtx-$400ish
ultra-$500ish

reality:

gts-$300ish
gtx-$500ish
ultra-$800ish

^^ :p 300 dollar gap for 5% increase, if even that.

I would get an Ultra if
A. I could afford it.
B. there was substantial difference in performance from a GTX

That thing looks wicked man.

i found a bug in the program... if you minimize Lost Planet while the benchmark runs your FPS doubles so you can just open it up and screen shot it right after you open it up and you'll have awesome FPS.:D

Anyone else think this was an uninspiring screenshot? I really don't see anything spectacular here that requires the latest graphics card...

nvidia_blur_large.jpg

The GTS will be a little slower obviously, but it looks like they are doing fine so far.

Ay the DX10 shows nothing incredible yet, Call to Juarez waterfall was ok but this Lost Planets looks like crap. Either these games are incredibly badly coded or the whole M$ DX10 PR was just another hoax. Imagine how 8600/2600? cards will run these games, smooth as butter I bet.

Also btw the dude who throws in the screenshots, your runnin 1280x720 without AA ? No wonder you get nice results, could you share what AA and AF your using, since those scores are nowhere near what has been floating around the Internet :confused:

That screenshot looks like puke to me. You can tell he took off all the eye candy and ran purely on resolution, and a very low resolution at that. Fact of the matter is, all the benchmarks run with the new DX10 cards with decent settings and eye candy ahve come out puke. To be fair this may just be Lost PLanet, but its more likely the case the first gen of hardware for DX10 just plain sucks. Dont get me wrong, for DX9 it owns; but its not handling DX10 well at all. This has, unforutnately, been the norm for early gen hardware.

What I see in that screenshot would actually be a step back from where I am now in IQ.

Back