“Thor: Ragnarok” Rules with $121 Million Weekend

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
The God of Thunder is putting an emphatic end to the month-long box office slump that saw the worst October in a decade: Disney-Marvel’s “Thor: Ragnarok” is heading for a stellar opening weekend with $121 million at 4,080 North American locations — the fourth best launch of 2017.

“Thor: Ragnarok” wound up over-performing recent estimates, which had been in the $100 million to $118 million range. The rollout includes 3,400 3D screens, 391 IMAX screens, 616 premium large format screens, and 204 D-Box locations. The IMAX total was $25.4 million. With Chris Hemsworth reprising the title role, “Thor: Ragnarok” will finish far above its predecessors, nearly doubling the 2011 opening of “Thor” at $65.7 million and coming in 41% above the 2013 sequel “Thor: The Dark World” at $85.7 million.

Wanted to go see it today but for whatever reason the theaters here in my new "home" town appear to require reserved seating and of course when I decided to get tickets they were all reserved, for all the shows today which is a good thing for the theaters but not so good for me and the wife, ugh.

Guess we'll make an attempt to catch the flick in the next few days maybe.

this is doing well because of the Hulk...why doesn't Marvel release a standalone Hulk movie?!...they release Ant Man and Doctor Strange but no Hulk?!

Oh.. A new Thor movie released.... :yawn: I'll see it when it gets to Red Box..

this is doing well because of the Hulk...why doesn't Marvel release a standalone Hulk movie?!...they release Ant Man and Doctor Strange but no Hulk?!

Were they that bad, that they shall not be named? I haven't see either of these, but I have heard....some things....about them :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

the-incredible-hulk-20080414010125119-000.jpg

affiche-hulk-2003-2.jpg

It has something to do with Universal holding the distribution rights to Hulk, I believe.

Reactions: naib
like this
Were they that bad, that they shall not be named? I haven't see either of these, but I have heard....some things....about them :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

those Hulk movies were before the current Marvel Cinematic Universe series of movies...I want to see a standalone Mark Ruffalo Hulk movie

It has something to do with Universal holding the distribution rights to Hulk, I believe.

if Marvel worked out a deal with Sony over Spider Man I'm sure they can work with Universal for the Hulk

I like to watch the Box Office Mojo numbers and this year has been brutal. Lots of movies coming in under production budget and even big name stars being pulled early. Some movies have been embarrasing Tom Cruise Mummy did $31M opening weekend, a month later his movie American Made did $17M, neither of them have even made back their production cost domestically). The only saving grace for many movies is the foreign markets. Perhaps Hollywood will pack up and movie to China next year.

Here some comparisons against 2015.

Here are the current top standings for 2017 so far. Compared to 2015. And look at the next graph to see how quickly the numbers fall when you move further down the list.

iFvLaMr.jpg

Here's starting at position #35. You can see 2015 just kicks 2017's ass.

Qpx0O59.jpg

I like to watch the Box Office Mojo numbers and this year has been brutal. Lots of movies coming in under production budget and even big name stars being pulled early. Some movies have been embarrasing Tom Cruise Mummy did $31M opening weekend, a month later his movie American Made did $17M, neither of them have even made back their production cost domestically). The only saving grace for many movies is the foreign markets. Perhaps Hollywood will pack up and movie to China next year...

wow Beauty and the Beast made that much $$?

Saw it today in IMAX 3D. The movie itself is really basic, but is so incredibly fun and enjoyable to watch. I'm almost certainly buying the 4K blu-ray. It helps that at my nearest IMAX all the patrons (or all the ones that I could see or hear) possess decent movie-going etiquette; no talking that can be hear more than two seats away, nobody really kicking other seats, no visible phone screens, no talking on speakerphone, or the rest of that sort of behavior.

The Ang Lee Hulk was just awful. The Ed Norton Hulk was decent attempt at world building, if a bit forced, but was about on par with Iron Man 3 or Thor 2 in terms of quality and Norton was such a pain to work with that we now have Ruffalo as the Hulk.

wow Beauty and the Beast made that much $$?

It is very close to the original 1991 movie. The 1991 movie is nearly a masterpiece of the late 80's- mid 90's golden era of Disney animations. The 1991 movie came in 3rd overall for that year, and that was going against Terminator 2 (another masterpiece). There is a lot of nostalgia for this new version, 20 years of girls growing up and now taking their children. Plus it has Emma Watson in it in a non-weird non-bitchy role.

It's kinda sad that that's the top earner so far, but not surprising. I imagine Star Wars will dethrone it.

I like to watch the Box Office Mojo numbers and this year has been brutal. Lots of movies coming in under production budget and even big name stars being pulled early. Some movies have been embarrasing Tom Cruise Mummy did $31M opening weekend, a month later his movie American Made did $17M, neither of them have even made back their production cost domestically). The only saving grace for many movies is the foreign markets. Perhaps Hollywood will pack up and movie to China next year.

Here some comparisons against 2015.

Here are the current top standings for 2017 so far. Compared to 2015. And look at the next graph to see how quickly the numbers fall when you move further down the list. (EDIT FOR REMOVAL OF CHARTS)

Here's starting at position #35. You can see 2015 just kicks 2017's ass.

It could also be that overall 2017's movies haven't been as good those from 2015.

It could also be that overall 2017's movies haven't been as good those from 2015.

Well, that would seem to be the answer, either that or there is some defiance to the industry by the public.

With higher ticket costs, more theaters, and couple million more potential customers added to the population every year the trend should keep going up if they keep producing quality product.

I'll go watch it in another two weeks at my local giant screen IMAX. Looking forward to just a few other people in the theater or best case scenario just me and a friend.

Last edited:
Well, that would seem to be the answer, either that or there is some defiance to the industry by the public.

With higher ticket costs, more theaters, and couple million more potential customers added to the population every year the trend should keep going up if they keep producing quality product.

I also think that movies get released on Blu-ray/DVD so quickly nowadays along with the advent of really nice home theater setups that it's not worth going to see every movie in the theater anymore like in the past...I know I only go to the theater for 'big' event movies like Star Wars (on a Dolby Cinema screen with Atmos sound)

Last edited:
I also think that movies get released on Blu-ray/DVD so quickly nowadays along with the advent of really nice home theater setups that it's not worth going to see every movie in the theater anymore like in the past...

AnyDVD and Redbox go a long way in the value department :cool:

the-incredible-hulk-20080414010125119-000.jpg

affiche-hulk-2003-2.jpg

The first Hulk movie was terrible. To this day I couldn't tell you what happened in that fight at the end. It was so hard to see what was going on. I read a few weeks ago the movie was made dark on purpose because the technology to make things look good just wasn't there. So they made the scenes dark to hide things. And I thought it was my Toshiba HD rear projection TV at the time.

I might go see the new Thor movie. The wife likes the movies - but the problem is do we take our kids or do we find sitters? If we wait until sometime this spring, we can watch it at home.
The only movie I know for sure that I will be seeing is Star Wars. One of my daughters will go with me. Even though she has only watched Rogue 1 and Force Awakens (doesn't seem to like the others).

Every time someone mentions the domestic US box office numbers I laugh because they still don't understand that its not just about US. If you look at a site like worldwideboxoffice.com you'll see that some movies earn 2 to 5 times as much money overseas as the do in the US. This is why Vin Diesel is the biggest star. Although the studios net share of overseas box office receipts may not be as high as the domestic share, especially when it comes to China, there's still enough coming in to guarantee Fast and Furious movies forever (and maybe another Pirates movie).

Meanwhile having seen the new Thor movie I would say its OK but nothing special, not even as good as the first one. The director got the laughs he wanted but I don't think anyone cares about the characters.

Every time someone mentions the domestic US box office numbers I laugh because they still don't understand that its not just about US. If you look at a site like worldwideboxoffice.com you'll see that some movies earn 2 to 5 times as much money overseas as the do in the US. This is why Vin Diesel is the biggest star. Although the studios net share of overseas box office receipts may not be as high as the domestic share, especially when it comes to China, there's still enough coming in to guarantee Fast and Furious movies forever (and maybe another Pirates movie).

Meanwhile having seen the new Thor movie I would say its OK but nothing special, not even as good as the first one. The director got the laughs he wanted but I don't think anyone cares about the characters.

Actually Stan Lee is probably still the highest grossing star. As far as U.S. gross, it's because the studios tend to get a much larger cut of the ticket revenue compared to foreign markets.

I dare any straight male to go to the 3D version and attempt to hold back the temptation to trace every single green line on Cate Blanchett's Hela outfit. By the end of the movie you will be as hard and nearly as blue as Korg's skin.

thor-3_6011783.jpg

I might go see the new Thor movie. The wife likes the movies - but the problem is do we take our kids or do we find sitters? If we wait until sometime this spring, we can watch it at home.
The only movie I know for sure that I will be seeing is Star Wars. One of my daughters will go with me. Even though she has only watched Rogue 1 and Force Awakens (doesn't seem to like the others).

We took out 7 and 5 year old boys , the only bad word I remember was "shit" once during the first 20 mins or so of the film. They both stayed awake the whole time which never happens at these types of films.

Though I haven't seen this one, I'm glad it's doing well. The first two Thor movies were embarrassingly bad.

There is another possibility: there's just less liquidity in the movie-going masses. If one has to choose between eating a meal and watching a movie, I'm willing to bet the meal wins more often than not. I personally lean towards this answer, mostly because it's been the experience for myself and most of my friends.

Cate Blanchett killed it as Hela. It's too bad she didn't get much screen time. In my opinion there was too much Chris Hemsworth being a whiny bitch throughout the movie, but it was still good.
those Hulk movies were before the current Marvel Cinematic Universe series of movies...I want to see a standalone Mark Ruffalo Hulk movie

if Marvel worked out a deal with Sony over Spider Man I'm sure they can work with Universal for the Hulk
The Incredible Hulk with Ed Norton is part of the cinematic universe. Too bad he is such a diva because I would have liked seeing him reprise the role in the other films.

Saw it last night. Was surprised by the level of comedy packed into this one... really helped sell the movie and made it quite entertaining. Sort of had that Guardians of the Galaxy vibe going.

Lots of action, colors, good CGI and used music to great effect. Plot and story were passable enough, but a bit on the simple/contrived end. Still, definitely the best Thor comic book movie to date. Hell, I'd watch a Korg standalone spin-off movie just detailing his back story! :)

Saw it last night. Was surprised by the level of comedy packed into this one... really helped sell the movie and made it quite entertaining. Sort of had that Guardians of the Galaxy vibe going.

Lots of action, colors, good CGI and used music to great effect. Plot and story were passable enough, but a bit on the simple/contrived end. Still, definitely the best Thor comic book movie to date. Hell, I'd watch a Korg standalone spin-off movie just detailing his back story! :)
This. The movie is all jokes and action. Cate Blanchett was good. No Natalie Portman. Extra simple, but fun.

Will probably go see it on cheap day - I just can't afford normal ticket prices. My wife really likes the Marvell movies, and I don't like watching movies alone, so this is what I get.

I suppose someone should be seriously asking what elements keep the Marvell movies selling so well, when so many others are flopping. It can't just be "action hero" as there are plenty of those types that are flops. Maybe some movie producers should stop thinking they know everything and question why they can't produce a hit anymore, and some others seem to make hits every time.

Will probably go see it on cheap day - I just can't afford normal ticket prices. My wife really likes the Marvell movies, and I don't like watching movies alone, so this is what I get.

I suppose someone should be seriously asking what elements keep the Marvell movies selling so well, when so many others are flopping. It can't just be "action hero" as there are plenty of those types that are flops. Maybe some movie producers should stop thinking they know everything and question why they can't produce a hit anymore, and some others seem to make hits every time.

The Marvel one's know not to take themselves so seriously. They're popcorn munchers and they know it and the fun they have comes through in the work.

I caught it this past weekend and was pleasantly surprised. Turned out to be a great flick, much better / more interesting than the Avengers, though I think I still like the Captain America series better overall - though I would say this Thor is the best "humorous" Marvel movie so far - better than Guardians of the Galaxy.

BTW: I watched it in an AMC with the new Dolby "Atmos" (?) sound and that sheet was crazy loud / bass.

Take your kids. While the death toll, in terms of bodies shown strewn about the ground, is surprisingly high for a marvel film, the violence is very cartoony. Besides, I knew there was at least one kid at the screening of 80's version of Robocop and Predator which I saw and those were obviously much worse.

This movie benefits from watching it IMAX, though unlike some of the other Marvel movies there isn't as much benefit from 3D.

Overall Marvel's cinematic universe films have been raking in the cash because they tend to be good movies. The one good DC movie in the last several years also made bank. The problem is that WB, Sony, and Fox have mainly been turning out junk action/ super hero movies.

Saw it in imax 3d and felt it was the most active movie from the Marvel universe.

Does a great job of avoiding slow spots with humor and misdirection.

Reactions: Oppy
like this
Back