• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

This psu gone? or needs some more pot adjusting?

munkle

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Jan 16, 2005
Messages
11,799
So my friend stuck a skrewdriver into the fan of his psu because he wanted to see if it was the noisy fan in his pc but he hit the heatsink also shorting the psu out. He let me have to try and fix it, the I just switched the fuse out and it works fine, but I noticed the 5v rail was at 4.8 (with multimeter) so I turned it up a little but that made the 12v go up to 13v so I turned it back down, the best balance I could get was 4.9v and 12.4V. The 3.3v stays at 3.3v, there is a second adjustment nob but I don't know what it does as it doesn't change any of the voltages, I was thinking maybe it has something to do with the psu under load? I dont know. But the problem with the psu now is the 12v rail drops a ton with minimal load, I hooked up 7 fans, with a load of 40w at the wall, and the 12v at 12.4 before dropped to 11.8v. I don't really want to try this on a good pc in case the psu is messed up. I'm not sure if that is because I played with the second knob, which I turned back (to the best of my ability), or because something else is wrong because my friend shorted it out.
 
The voltages you're measuring are all in spec, so that's fine. What I would be concerned about is if you inadvertently damaged any other components in the PSU that will affect other things, like ripple. What PSU is this anyway?
 
The voltages you're measuring are all in spec, so that's fine. What I would be concerned about is if you inadvertently damaged any other components in the PSU that will affect other things, like ripple. What PSU is this anyway?

It's still in spec now but with only 40w load and drops .6 v that just might be unusable at higher loads. It is a fsp ax400-pn, pretty sure it is this one. http://www.fspgroupusa.com/PC_RETAIL/AX400PN/AX400PN.html

Edit: got the perfect test system, old dell 8200 that boots some of the time when it feels like it.

Edit: well the dell didn't feel like booting today but the voltages were fine with it turn on, i'll have to see if I can get it to boot and run cpu test.
 
Last edited:
That PSU is honestly so cheap it's not worth salvaging. Just buy a new one.
 
What were the voltages before your friend shorted it? I've screwed up voltage adjustments unless each and every output rail was loaded down by a few amps (1/2 A for the +5Vstandby). And every time I replaced a fuse on the primary side, it either popped again because a high voltage transistor had failed, or the PSU worked perfectly normally. OTOH damage on the low voltage side often caused partial falure, such as because one diode in a 2-diode pack shorted.

Tell your friend to use a disposable plastic straw the next time he wants to stop a fan.
 
What were the voltages before your friend shorted it? I've screwed up voltage adjustments unless each and every output rail was loaded down by a few amps (1/2 A for the +5Vstandby). And every time I replaced a fuse on the primary side, it either popped again because a high voltage transistor had failed, or the PSU worked perfectly normally. OTOH damage on the low voltage side often caused partial falure, such as because one diode in a 2-diode pack shorted.

Tell your friend to use a disposable plastic straw the next time he wants to stop a fan.

I really don't know the voltages before since the psu is about 3 years old and my friend bought it. I'll put in a p3 and let it run a few days to see if it is still good.
 
Back
Top