This problem still baffles me, and Google doesn't have the answer.

S

SirKenin

I have created a roaming profile, no problem. Set it up on the server in the active directory, complete with a share to store it in. I copied the completed roaming profile from my workstation to the server.

However, the damn thing doesn't download the profile to any of the workstations. I can't figure it out for the life of me. The workstation isn't saving a copy back to the server like it's supposed to either. The workstation says the profile is a roaming profile. What on earth am I doing wrong?

Is it a specific account with this problem, or any account with a roaming profile? If it's a specific account, make sure that the account has permissions to the share with the roaming profile.

Can you even do it that way? I was sure that you had to let the user account create the prfile then modfy it how you wanted it.

UMCPWintermute said:
Is it a specific account with this problem, or any account with a roaming profile? If it's a specific account, make sure that the account has permissions to the share with the roaming profile.
I only have one account with a roaming profile currently.

Milenko said:
try making the account holder the owner of the profile folder?
Yup. I got the NTFS permissions all set. Administrator, system and me on the server, Administrator, system, server and me on the workstation.

oakfan52 said:
Can you even do it that way? I was sure that you had to let the user account create the prfile then modfy it how you wanted it.
You're right in a sense. I created an entry in the AD, then created a directory on the server to store the profile. After that I went to the workstation, created a profile, customized it and uploaded it back to that new directory on the server. I checked all my permissions but still no go. I can't figure it out for the life of me.

I'm wondering if I should create a test profile?

SirKenin said:
You're right in a sense. I created an entry in the AD, then created a directory on the server to store the profile. After that I went to the workstation, created a profile, customized it and uploaded it back to that new directory on the server. I checked all my permissions but still no go. I can't figure it out for the life of me.

I'm wondering if I should create a test profile?

I'm a bit confused by your statement. if you let the wrokstation create the profile on the server why would you need to customize it locally and copy it up to the server. you should be able to make all the changes you want and when you logoff it should copy it up to the server itself.

If your copying a local profile from the PC up to the server then pointing the user profile to it i don't think that will work.

oakfan52 said:
I'm a bit confused by your statement. if you let the wrokstation create the profile on the server why would you need to customize it locally and copy it up to the server. you should be able to make all the changes you want and when you logoff it should copy it up to the server itself.

If your copying a local profile from the PC up to the server then pointing the user profile to it i don't think that will work.
I created the logon on the server, logged onto the workstation and made the profile. When I was done with the profile, I copied it back to the server. The workstation tells me that it is a roaming profile, but it never goes to the server to download the profile. It always goes back to the cached copy of it.

What should I do differently to make this work? And why won't my profile download to any of the other workstations, even though no cached profile exists? Would I just have to start from scratch?

So you create an account in Active Directory and specify a location on a fileserver where the profile is stored: \\fileserver\users\accountName. Then you log into a workstation as accountName and it creates a profile (because none exists on the server - and it should give you a warning about this). When you log out, it should copy it up to the server. Now whenever you log into a computer, it should copy the profile down from the server.

Make sure that the folder on the fileserver (\\fileserver\users\accountName) has full permissions given to accountName. You shouldn't need to do any manual copying of profiles up to the server - if you do, that's a sign that something is set up wrong.

UMCPWintermute said:
So you create an account in Active Directory and specify a location on a fileserver where the profile is stored: \\fileserver\users\accountName. Then you log into a workstation as accountName and it creates a profile (because none exists on the server - and it should give you a warning about this). When you log out, it should copy it up to the server. Now whenever you log into a computer, it should copy the profile down from the server.

Make sure that the folder on the fileserver (\\fileserver\users\accountName) has full permissions given to accountName. You shouldn't need to do any manual copying of profiles up to the server - if you do, that's a sign that something is set up wrong.
I think I should try making it over again. I can't think of anything else to do. I lost hundreds of favorites in the process of farting around with this nonsense too. That was a real kick in the ass :(

UMCPWintermute said:
Ouch, that's painful - always make sure you do the testing on a test account - not your account ;)
I made a backup of the account... That's the funny thing. I don't understand how everything else made it, but the favorites got lost in the shuffle. What a pain.

Back