This Pavilion Will Be The World's Largest 3D-Printed Object

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by HardOCP News, Oct 7, 2016.

1. HardOCP News

HardOCP News [H] News

An architecture firm in New York is building a pair of sculptural 3D-printed pavilions that are designed to showcase the potential of digital fabrication. When they are done, the firm claims that this will be the world's largest 3D printed object.

Working with the Oak Ridge National Laboratory and Branch Technology—a Chattanooga, Tennessee–based startup—SHoP is developing a sinuous, latticed monocoque form (meaning that the skin is integrated with the structure) inspired by the shape of jellyfish. In addition to offering outdoor seating, one of the two pavilions will also host a bar that is partly made up of what the designers call the world's largest 3D printed object. And robots are building them.

2. Ordeith

Ordeith Limp Gawd

Some Chinese builders have been going all in on 3D printed buildings, and I bet some of their structures are larger than this "art" piece.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
  3. Gweenz

Gweenz [H]ard|Gawd

It's hideous.

4. AceGoober

AceGoober Live! Laug[H]! Overclock!

"Welcome to my web." Said the spider to the fly...

Wasn't a full house 3D printed?

5. SilverSliver

SilverSliver Beat It To Deformation

6. M76

M76 [H]ardForum Junkie

This idea of concrete printing was proposed decades ago. I was wondering why won't it catch on. I never expected the chinese to actually start using it. Even the pattern is an exact match to the technology what I saw in demonstrations many years ago

7. Quix

Quix 2[H]4U

Not much of a pavilion if it doesn't even stop rain.

8. westrock2000

westrock2000 [H]ardForum Junkie

"Once again, Chinese company WinSun Decoration Design Engineering Co has expanded the capabilities of 3D printing. After constructing ten houses in under 24 hours last year, now they are back with both the world's tallest 3D printed building - a five-story apartment block - and a 1,100 square meter mansion with internal and external decoration to boot."

Next time Haiti gets hammered maybe we should send them instead. Might actually help them. 10 houses is already better then the Red Cross did.

9. michalrz

michalrz 2[H]4U

I get "News Article Not Found" when clicking in the OP.