this one is going to be mean. :)

weapon--

Gawd
I started a new heat exchanger project today and thus far, the results are better than I expected. It isn't going to fit in any small cases but as far as heat dissipation goes, I think I have that one beaten into a pulp...yep - those san ace fans are 120s. :D

weaponmonstercore2.jpg

:D

That's one big mofo. Put a cap on the end opposite the barbs and use it as a reservoir.

lol - the shroud is being built up in the cad proggie at the moment with a nice amount of standoff for the SanAce fans. this thing is going to kick ass.

commercial rads, please step up and I don't give a damn about what cfm rating we are playing on. :D

hehe, hi Weapon. Psyche911 here. :p

I wonder if the amount of heat you add will change water temps at all with something like that.

Looks similar to a 1990 Ford E150 heater core. 4 120's will just fit on it. I was going to use it but figured it would be overkill, used Chevette core instead.

Get your special shroud on that bad boy and look out, room temps here it comes.............. :eek:

Bio-Hazard said:
Get your special shroud on that bad boy and look out, room temps here it comes.............. :eek:

my canadian partner and I have already been batting the shroud back and forth. it will likely be the same materials as the 302 version but quad chambered :) with the same tweakage for flow here and there.

this core is killing me - it is kinda like a cooling Howitzer. I wonder if I need to order another and run them in parallel? LOL.

What core is that, it is insane.. Drop 4 of the Delta EHE's on there and you might be able to make a watercooling hovercraft.

Better yet, do a push/pull with 8 fans :p

Details and more pics, please!

well, the san aces that are on it in the pic are rated at 103 cfm each and they have a great pressure rating which makes them really good for cores. I have a case of 129cfm deltas on the way to me at the moment and they should be here next week.

that core goes into the second stage of modding tomorrow as soon as the rest of my chemicals and hardware so up. It looks mean now but the next phase is going to be a bit more insane.

as for this core (2-192) - there are only 2 drawbacks to it - they are kind of hard to find and they are a bit expensive as far as cores go - the cheapest I could find it was $79 but that is a small price to pay for such insanity. :D

Here is a pic of my last monstercore that was done a bit different but still packed 4 120s per side:
monstercore1.jpg

are you going to use one of those codegen übercases that look as though they were constructed of two regular mid tower cases welded together?

flak said:
are you going to use one of those codegen übercases that look as though they were constructed of two regular mid tower cases welded together?

nope. I decided to go with something a bit large for this project...
reszda1.jpg

That is a former Periphonics VPS/iS server cabinet that is now being weaponized. It is about 50" (H) x 24" (w) x 32.5"(D). For size comparison, that is a usual four 5.25 bay midtower next to it on the lower left. The silver box on top of the cabinet is the 1500w power supply.

Even though these cores are not size-friendly to the average case, they are a great solution when paired with an external waterbox as you can use fans that barely have the blades spinning and still get massive cooling capacity with no noise. Now, if you crank the fans up, the cooling capacity is just insane even if the cores are left in basically stock form. However, I am going to kick them up a notch or two beyond that tomorrow once my new modding hardware arrives. I ordered the new gear to allow for some mods to 302 cores that were not previously possible but, with this new monstercore, the results should be off the chart and that is more temptation than I can resist. :D

So are you putting your mobo and such in a separate box or going with a rack mount? I don't imagine you can just screw an ATX board into that thing.

flak said:
So are you putting your mobo and such in a separate box or going with a rack mount? I don't imagine you can just screw an ATX board into that thing.

look in the middle of that cabinet - it has an ATX compatible tray -- not from the factory but one that i made for it. I am still contemplating the final setup - I have some 3U-5U rack mountable cases OTW - any or several of those would slide right in there with no problems. The case already has a very sweet drive mounting section for HDDs so I think I am going to stick with that for all the drives - It looks like it can accept at least 15 harddrives so I think that is covered. :)

I lean towards building my gear as much as possible so I am considering making a nice acrylic midsection for the rack complete with a 1 gallon chilled res. I built a condensing unit not that long ago and it will fit in the base of that cabinet with no problems so sub-ambient cooling would be easy to setup.

as long as you're at it you should leave a place to keep your mountain dew cold!

flak said:
as long as you're at it you should leave a place to keep your mountain dew cold!

lol - I think I have enough room for a 12 pack cooler. I still have some fiberglass insulated panelling left...wouldnt be that hard to build on in there. :)

as for this core and other case, my partner and I are working on a design for an external box but that is still quite a ways off.

weapon-- said:
as for this core and other case, my partner and I are working on a design for an external box but that is still quite a ways off.
Let me know when you're ready to build a external box, I've still got a few good ideas left, as you know.......... :D

Back