This networking issue is driving me nuts!

Bird222

[H]ard|Gawd
This makes no sense to me. I've got CAT 5 routed like this "wall > CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD > Asus AC68U router". Router is running Tomato firmware. Sometimes the router shows it's got a lease other times it doesn't but I get no internet regardless. I've switched out cables, same issue. Connect laptop directly to the wall I get internet. Ok so I think something is wrong with the cyberpower. I connect the router directly to the wall, I get internet. So I really think it's the cyberpower. So for kicks I connect "wall > cyberpower > laptop" I get freaking internet! For some reason connecting wall, cyberpower and router I can't get internet. To further muddy the waters, ISP has been working on the internet and I did have a brown out yesterday. I had some connection issues yesterday but eventually it started working again with the "wall > cyberpower > router" setup. But today I have these problems with this same wiring setup. Help!

Yeah but it works if I connect my laptop to the UPS just not the router.

Install Wireshark, look for the DORA, see what the request and response looks like.

Try disabling spanning tree, DORA requests will sometimes time out as the switch (even the one in your router) delays traffic while looking for loops.

Could be the spike protection in the UPS is degrading the signal and the router is sensitive to signal variations. Connecting at Gig or 100?

For all of the times my house has had power failures, drops and spikes, I have never had something get into the actual network. I do have all of the switches, routers, and modems on UPS but I don't have the network cabling connected to any of the protection plugs on the UPS.

OP, are you using Cat5 or Cat5e/6? If you are using Cat5, what is your connection speed 100mb or gigabit? How long is the cable run?

Back