This maxtor drive is driving me nuts ...

Hyper_Psycho

2[H]4U
I formated an ancient old Maxtor 60gb hard drave to make a fresh instalation for my dad's computer. Everything is groovy, the drive is detected in bios and the computer precedes to boot up from the winXP cd. Yey. I get to the actuall instalation and its telling me to choose where to install. The formation that I had was like 57gb free space and the win xp instalation said 55 or something like that. I said, "whoa, this is weird!" and chose to make a new formation, and so i did but it came out ats 33gb or something. I said "WTF ??!?!" and decided to format it from windows again. I swiched the ATA cables so the setup looked like this"

IDE1= s wd 30 - m wd 40 (windows here)
IDE2= s Max60 - m cdrw

I go into windows but the CD rom and the maxtor hard drive are not there. Pissed off I shut the comp down and made sure thatthe jumpers are right. I refered to http://www.maxtor.com/en/documentation/installation_guides/ata_installation_guide.pdf since maxtor.com told me to look there. Still no luck. I tried to boot this hard drive from my server but I had forgotten what jumpers I had and therefore I can't get it to be recognized in windows (xp). I mean its detected by the promise ata100 tx2 controller but never shows up in windows.
I am 100% sure that this is a workin drive and that I am using the proper jumper settings.
Can someone tell me what the hell is going on?

take out all the jumpers and leave it on its own cable...

try again

Well damn it that worked ... now let me try to get it to work along side a CD rom drive ... argh

UPDATE: If I do dual Cable Select the CD rom is the only thing that shows up. The computer makes a beeping noise ever minute ... like "tutu" ... running slave master configuration according to the manuals does not resolve this problem. My question is WTF !?

leave all the jumpers off the hd

set the cdrom to master

Originally posted by FLECOM
leave all the jumpers off the hd

set the cdrom to master

i shall try that

UPDATE
well that did not work ... it cant find either of the drives

Man this is INSANE !

I decided to try to boot the system from the secondary cable and keep the maxtor drive in the primary cable
it worked
so installing windows
and then when choosing the timezone/date/time the text just goes CRAZY. Its like someone used the smudge tool and smoodged the screen from top down ... so i got all these little vertical lines that make the text look all weird.
again I ask WTF ?!?!?

1.2 tbird | biostar mobo | 512 pc133 | win XP | radeon 8500 64mb

check it out
1.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

i would try swapping out video first... make sure the hsf on the video card is ok

check hsf on cpu also

then maybe mobo?

could be bad ram... try downloading and running memtest... its small, boots from cd

Originally posted by FLECOM
i would try swapping out video first... make sure the hsf on the video card is ok

check hsf on cpu also

then maybe mobo?

could be bad ram... try downloading and running memtest... its small, boots from cd

i think it was the drivers
got the 3.10s installed and its running smoothly right now

still how the hell am i going to put these two devices on the same cable ... only jebus knows that ....

Try updateing the bios. Some old BIOS's dont support greater than 32 GB 33 would be weird but that is worth a shot, if not, just get Partition Magic 8

Originally posted by ChappyChaps11
Try updateing the bios. Some old BIOS's dont support greater than 32 GB 33 would be weird but that is worth a shot, if not, just get Partition Magic 8

im running windows xp right now on it 57GB partition without a problem

the thing is that I cant put the CD rom drive and hte hard drive on one IDE cable ... and not knowing why pisses me off

And I assume u played with teh jumpers? Try making the CD master and the HDD slave or cable select

Originally posted by ChappyChaps11
And I assume u played with teh jumpers? Try making the CD master and the HDD slave or cable select

i did every config that is know to mankind it just wont work ... and I just want to know why !!!
maybe ill figure it out tomorrow after all its almost 4 am

I know how that goes. My cousin bought an OEM comp and when I tried to put in the CD Burner he got later (I dont mess with jumpers my comp doesnt care) it was being all bitchy and not booting past post, u need the perfect config, why dont u change one of the other IDE devices off the other channel and use that putting the CD rom on the other channel?

ok, i don't see where anybody has asked the obvious. you're going to be putting the 60 in your dads computer, so why not put it in there and install on that machine? (that is, if I'm reading you right in the description)

and no matter what, booting hard drives should be primary (IDE-1) and set to master whenever possible.

It sounds like it might be a cable issue, or a compatibility issue. but the question still remains, why have it in the machine if its going in your dads. put it there and install XP there. OS's tend to get a little "funky" if you drop them into a different system after installation.

I used the most WEIRDEST settings and I got the machine to work with the following

Maxtor :
Jjj_0
J0000

I used two jumpers after looking through pictures of my computer that I had taken previously.
Suprisingly this works
The WD I set as slave I put into the standard slave settings
works now

Wish me luck on setting the CD rom drive to work with the 40gb maxtor !

Back