I finally took the plunge and moved to a water cooling setup. I got the Koolance Exos with a CPU block and a GPU block.
Fist, a little background: I have a Asus A7N8X Deluxe with a Barton 2800+, 1.5 GB of Kingston HYPER X 3500 (512 x 3), ATI 9800 Pro, SB Audigy 2, 2 x WD Raptor (RAID 0) and 1 WD 200 GB HDDs. This is all piled into an Antec server case with 3 intake (2 front, 1 side) and 2 exhaust fans. It is powered by an Antec True Power 500W PSU.
Now, the questions: This processor has always run HOTTTTT. On air cooling (with a Thermalright SLK900 HS and a Vantec Tornado) I was pulling around 45 idle and 50-52 load. These temps were after lapping my HS to a mirror finish. Sure, my systems temps were acceptable, but they were far from desireable . To me. So, I bought an Exos system hoping to bring these temps down. With the CPU and GPU on the system, I am pulling these temps: *IDLE* Ambient: 20c, Socket: 32c, Diode: 38c. *LOAD* Ambient: 20c, Socket: 36c, Diode: 40c. Sure, these temps are better, and the noise reduction is amazing but are the temps where they should be for this system? I know this system has limitations, and I can live with that. I just want to know that I am doing everything I can to keep this system cool. Before I start over clocking, I want to have a good solid cooling foundation.
Maybe it is time to admit defeat to this processor. Maybe its just a hot mofo?
Thanks for any input you can offer.
Fist, a little background: I have a Asus A7N8X Deluxe with a Barton 2800+, 1.5 GB of Kingston HYPER X 3500 (512 x 3), ATI 9800 Pro, SB Audigy 2, 2 x WD Raptor (RAID 0) and 1 WD 200 GB HDDs. This is all piled into an Antec server case with 3 intake (2 front, 1 side) and 2 exhaust fans. It is powered by an Antec True Power 500W PSU.
Now, the questions: This processor has always run HOTTTTT. On air cooling (with a Thermalright SLK900 HS and a Vantec Tornado) I was pulling around 45 idle and 50-52 load. These temps were after lapping my HS to a mirror finish. Sure, my systems temps were acceptable, but they were far from desireable . To me. So, I bought an Exos system hoping to bring these temps down. With the CPU and GPU on the system, I am pulling these temps: *IDLE* Ambient: 20c, Socket: 32c, Diode: 38c. *LOAD* Ambient: 20c, Socket: 36c, Diode: 40c. Sure, these temps are better, and the noise reduction is amazing but are the temps where they should be for this system? I know this system has limitations, and I can live with that. I just want to know that I am doing everything I can to keep this system cool. Before I start over clocking, I want to have a good solid cooling foundation.
Maybe it is time to admit defeat to this processor. Maybe its just a hot mofo?
Thanks for any input you can offer.