• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

THIS JUST BUGS ME! Whats FOLDING!

AMDXP

2[H]4U
Joined
Jul 9, 2004
Messages
2,631
So what exactly is folding and how does it work?

I've never heard of it tell I got on this forum... :p
 
Google!!!

http://folding.stanford.edu/

It's a Distributed Computing project that provides researches with data about the many ways that proteins (which we have) can 'fold' and which leads to a better understanding of why when proteins fold incorrectly, they can cause problems like Alzheimer's disease or cancer, etc.

Also, check the Distributed Computing forum.
 
Its an addiction.
You spend far to much on [H]ardware.
You spend far to much on power bills.
Its far to HOT in the house due to the number of computers running.
But..........
You get to hug our Moose.

Ps. It all relics fault.

Luck......... :D
u=Tigerbiten.gif
 
It's yet another way to brag about your boxen's power. ;)

It is a program that runs in the background and uses any spare CPU cycles.
It will automatically stop using the CPU cycles when you're need them for something else.

While it is running it does some very interesting medical research.
 
http://www.teamshort-media.com/videos/foldflash2.swf


This may help. Let it load, it takes a few minutes.

As said before... it gives you a chance to really raise your power bills, heats your house and kills your credit cards. Also, to me... is the ultimate way to express your "geekness" by amassing a pile of computers that do nothing but synthesis protien. Every single Mhz you can produce really matters here. Be they from OC, Borg or simply adding another machine. Its not just about bragging rights... anybody can SAY they have the goods, it shows in your stats...

But the best benefit is you may save a life.
 
Another good thing about folding is that it will really show you if your overclock is stable or not too, as well as testing your rig's and proc's cooling setup. If your machine can't fold for a couple of weeks without a reboot then it's not stable. :p

BTW, I fold for another team, but actually we all fold for the same team ultimately; cures for some deadly diseases. :) By all means, start folding here with the [H] as they have a hell of a folding team going here.
 
muddocktor said:
Another good thing about folding is that it will really show you if your overclock is stable or not too, as well as testing your rig's and proc's cooling setup. If your machine can't fold for a couple of weeks without a reboot then it's not stable. :p

BTW, I fold for another team, but actually we all fold for the same team ultimately; cures for some deadly diseases. :) By all means, start folding here with the [H] as they have a hell of a folding team going here.

that's actually not that good of an idea because you could be submitting faulty WUs to stanford...

always best to make sure your boxen are stable before folding...
 
I doubt Vijay cares if you use a WU or two for stability testing, as long as you contribute a few hundred good ones. ;)
 
relic said:
I doubt Vijay cares if you use a WU or two for stability testing, as long as you contribute a few hundred good ones. ;)

Right there, relic. Actually, if a wu is returned faulty they will reassign it in most cases to see if it's the machine or is actually the wu that failed.
 
what matters is that every little bit counts... unless its like a 400mhz celery :rolleyes:
so start folding and see where it takes you
 
EnderW said:
folding is for fags















just kidding guys :p

Ch1m3r4 said:
:eek: I was about to lay the smackdown! :D
i know this is all in good fun and not to be taken seriously it's jut a joke etc.


but could we please refrain from using slurs against homo/bi/trans-sexuality?
(not saying that the above was an example of all three, just a way to cover the bases)


thanks guys.
 
Carnival Forces said:
i know this is all in good fun and not to be taken seriously it's jut a joke etc.


but could we please refrain from using slurs against homo/bi/trans-sexuality?
(not saying that the above was an example of all three, just a way to cover the bases)


thanks guys.
sorry, didn't mean to offend anyone, that's just part of my normal language

I'll remove it before anyone gets too upset


sometimes I feel like these forums are too uptight, I come here to relax and take my mind off other stuff and just bullshit with people who share an interest in computers, but a lot of you take this stuff WAY too seriously IMO
 
This is the DC forum, darn straight these folks take it seriously, my god , some of these folks take out a second mortgage for more boxen. Got a dude lobstering for one more box. I got room for 2 more, and although credit is severely depleted, already looking for options. Would love to pick up coupla Dual Xeons from work (cheap please), gotta see.Most of us have lost someone dear, and fold for a reason. Surrender sucks.
 
Yes, most of us, if not all of us have lost someone near and dear to us... for some it's a spouse, some a brother or sister, some a mother or father (or grandmother/grandfather)... we each have our reasons for folding. For me it's for the grandmother I never knew (passed away with breast cancer 4 months before I was born)... for the grandfather that passed away when I was 5... and for my other grandfather who passed away when I was 18... and the many other aunts,uncles, parents, and relatives that are at risk for simliar diseases... I may not be able to stop diseases,etc, but I can do my small part and do everything I can to help...


Keep on Folding!!

 
Leadman584 said:
... Surrender sucks.

We may lose comrades
We may even fall ourselves.
But even half-dead and crawling any member of this DC team would echo the words of Capt. Jones; "I have not yet begun to fight", as we drug our lame bodies to the boxen.

There is no surrender.
 
For me, folding is about helping to find cures and/or treatments for nasty diseases and for anonymously showing complete strangers over the internet that you are better than them because you posess more computing power than they do :D

So far, I have failed in part 2 :(


 
beware of papercuts
 
Folding for a cure is the big draw for me but I also really like the idea of putting all this computing power to use on something worthwhile. Think about it, how much more computing power do we have now than say just 10 years ago? If everyone did SOMETHING with their box(en) think what we could do? We could find E.T. (or not), work on medical problems and crack encryption algorithims or whatever else we wanted to do. Sadly though millions of boxes sit idle in every corner of the world because the vast majority of people don't have any idea of the potential.


ps.. Folding is for everyone, and everyone is welcome here regardless of their particular orientation. A joke is a joke but just about every person you could think of has something that they don't care to joke around about. All you have to do is respect that. ;)
 
For me folding is using excess computer resources while trying to ensure that my children, or grandchildren if they appear, do not have to worry about the diseases which we have the technology to conquer.
I've piled into walls, dumped motorcycles under cars, fell into the Grand Canyon (inebriated), been on planes with flaming engines and maybe had a heart attack, all of which people said later that I was lucky to be alive.
Better genetics or technology would not help all of those mostly stupid activities,
Alzheimers, dementia, mad cow, cancer might be cured.
read the sig
FOLD ON!!
 
Back
Top