• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

This is a tough one

Chelica

2[H]4U
Joined
Aug 8, 2003
Messages
2,698
Well, I have just moved out because of personal reasons, so now I have a touch decision to make.

Some of you might know that I have recently built an HTPC for a fairly decent price. Now that I have moved, I have no space for it. I am living in a small 8x8 room. So I will basically have to sell my HDTV for sure, my CRT monitor and most likely my HTPC.

The HDTV was purchase for around $200 and have 2 buyers already for that price. So no loss.

The CRT will be let go for $100.

The HTPC ended up costing me about $350 for everything including the little acc. and etc. Got a really good deal on this one because a friend of mine decided to part out for dirt cheap. I can easily get about $450-500 for this setup.

What I am planning on doing is to sell all of the above and turn my main rig into a hybrid HTPC. Since the bed is right next to my PC, I am getting a 17" Samsung 174v to be my monitor/tv. I picked this LCD because at work, I can get it for $100, so this is a fat bargain IMO.

I will also be purchase a 200GB HD to keep all of the recordings and my HTPC needs. A PVR250 is going to be added into the main rig to fulfill the purpose.

I already have a set of speakers and a Senn. 497 onto an Audigy 2 ZS in my main rig.

So do you guys think I should sell my HTPC or set it up in a differnent corner of the room and purchase another 17" :LCD to go along with the HTPC?

It is either main rig as an HTPC and an all in one type of rig in one corner paired up with a 17" LCD

or

Main rig in one corner with a 17" LCD and the HPTC in th other corner ontop of my dresser with another 17" LCD.

Suggestions? I can also take pictures of my small ass room if you want to see or help me place and situate things.

I know that I am selling the TV and the CRT for SURE. Just do not know if I should keep the HTPC around. I got it for a really good deal so either way I am not going to lose out on the cash.

Thanks!
 
Keep the HDTV and the main PC, put your tv tuner(s) in the PC and run something like Sage that can sleep all the time and do recordings and all that while asleep.

PIF me the remaining HTPC parts :p
 
I can't keep the HDTV. It is a 32" Tube HDTV. Can't fit it in my room even if I tried.
 
Also, if I was to hook up my PS2 onto a PVR250 and into the 174v Smasung, how would it look? Playable?
 
I'd be worried about ghosting and such playing a PS2 on an LCD but I don't know enough about the moniter to say if that would be a problem.

I don't really see much wrong with using your main rig for a hybrid HTPC, thats pretty much what I've been doing while I figure everything out. I'm just getting ready to start building my "first" HTPC anyways, lol, now that I feel confident building and setting one up. But if you do part it out what are the specs? I'm looking for a few things now. :)

The only things you really need for an HTPC are a good tuner, software and lots of HD space (BTW I have just filled my 120gig yet again, lol) so 200gigs would be great but if you can get another that would be better. :D

Damn, where do you work? I'd love to work at a place that gives such great employee discounts. :)
 
As long as you have a good transcoder, I wouldn't worry about playing Xbox on the LCD. I play PC games on one and the image quality is decent, especially considering the space it saves. It isn't as crsip on fast movements and such, but it is playble for sure.
 
Where can I get a good transcoder for my PS2? I was just going to hook it up onto the PVR250.

Hey Crime - I am not sure if I am parting out. I am trying to sell the whole thing locally is prolly what I am after.

But yeah, I just picked up a Samsung 174v. That did a $125 damage to the wallet. But I just sold one of my Video Card for $100 and the HDTV for $200 so that leaves me room for some other stuff.

Alex
 
You wouldn't want to hook up the PS2 through the PRV250, because the PVR250 delays live tv by about 2 seconds, so when you pushed a button on the controller, it wouldn't do anything on the screen until 2 seconds later... not very good for games.

I think you need some other kind of transcoder/ input card/box... something like this www.x2vga.com
 
Back
Top