This Guy Has the Fastest Home Internet In The US

Surprisingly enough I can get fiber in the rural area where I live. You have to get a phone line though @ $30-$40/month and the internet is an additional $70/month for 100/Mbps. I really don't want to pay ~$100 a month but the alternative is 5/1 so ...

The guy is a radiologist sending and receiving raw DICOM images that are massive. Still. At 1Gbps it wouldn't take but a few seconds to transfer an image or a minute or so transfer a 3D sliced image.

That's the biggest complaint I hear from radiologists and oncologists having to stay at their practice, where the DICOM server is, to look at images. Takes too long to do from home when you have hundreds of images to look at daily.

I have everything sans the LR optics for 10g internet. It's all cheap on eBay, it's just not consumer friendly.

Tuan Nguyen over at PCGamer/MaximumPC recently wrote a long article about getting a 2Gbps connection to his place that includes pics of his street being torn up and the connection being installed entitled "What it's like to have the fastest internet in the country"..

Uy_BHDWT2vv_V3_NZ4x_Mu_ZWQ5_650_80.png

2Gpbs down and 50Mbps up? and their other offering is 1Gbps down and 35Mbps ewww!

I'd would rather have a 500/50.

Wow, $300 for a 10gig pipe? Here in DC area 300mbps FIOS costs almost that much... This guys has several grand of fiber network gear in there and 10gig ethernet adapters are like $500. Still pretty insane to have that at home, I bet they cap the bandwidth though.

Wow, $300 for a 10gig pipe? Here in DC area 300mbps FIOS costs almost that much... This guys has several grand of fiber network gear in there and 10gig ethernet adapters are like $500. Still pretty insane to have that at home, I bet they cap the bandwidth though.

The Microtek and Netgear switch are both under a grand. The other switch looking device is actually the GPON and is provided by the network provider. 10g Ethernet adapters can be had for $25 used for Connect-2s, ~$100 for connect-3s. for 10g base-t you are looking at $200-$300.

Also EPBfi has no data caps and has repeatedly stated that there is no point to data caps. They have more than enough back haul bandwidth to their DC and have plenty of backbone bandwidth. In addition, they run with a significantly positive inbound data ratio (like all ISPs) so basically pay nothing for outgoing bandwidth.

Pfft. I'm just happy with my brand new Comcast gigabit connection

Cablemodem: Technicolor TC4400-CMT
Router: Netgear Nighthawk X6 (R8000) (The tech pulled this out of the equipment bag and I nearly shit myself laughing.)

I had just had a Comcast tech SUPPOSEDLY come out last week to check my line. Everything supposedly fine...

BOOLSHEET!

The tech today, Ned, found some signal ingress and basically replaced my wiring all the way out to the box.

$150/month. I was paying $99/month for 150/20 service for the first year and would have jumped up to $140 after that.

So I'm happy. And if I wind up having to move any time in the next couple years I'm gonna be PISSED!

Wait, so Comcrap's gigabit isn't even symmetrical? AT&T's at least giving me 1g/1g. And last I tested, it was usually there. I don't know what you're complaining about, though. Generally these 1g services aren't sitting right at 1g. 800-1000 is pretty common. Sometimes mine lets up a bit, too. I mean even if it was 600, it's still a hell of a lot better than most of the US.

I'm having some issues with my Archer C7 router. Sometimes I'll notice my connection speed just bogging down and I can't even stream Crunchyroll. So my first instinct was to say AT&T was throttling me, but after taking my second router out of the equation and hooking it straight into the router they gave me, I think the problem tends to go away.

Overall for 70/month it's not that bad. The 1TB cap hasn't really bothered me yet, since 1TB is enough to fill up a lot of space. If I was doing 4k streaming from Netflix, it probably would bother me, but as it is I don't even have Netflix. I just have Crunchyroll, Funimation, and Amazon Prime. Their streams aren't quite there in terms of eating up data.

Wait, so Comcrap's gigabit isn't even symmetrical? AT&T's at least giving me 1g/1g. And last I tested, it was usually there. I don't know what you're complaining about, though. Generally these 1g services aren't sitting right at 1g. 800-1000 is pretty common. Sometimes mine lets up a bit, too. I mean even if it was 600, it's still a hell of a lot better than most of the US.

Comcast gigabit pro over fiber is symmetrical, Comcast gigabit over Coax is not.

Back