• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

This GPU w/my New Comp

Joined
Jul 20, 2008
Messages
60
Will the HD 4870 work well with this setup:

Case: Thermaltake M9
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
GPU: SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 4870 512MB
Mobo: ASUS P5Q Pro LGA 775 Intel P45
RAM: G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 800
PSU: CORSAIR 750TX 750W
Drive: LG 20X DVD +RW
CPU Cooler: COOLER MASTER Hyper TX2 CPU Cooler
HDD: 320 GB Western Digital

Does this build look good?
Is the mobo compatible with all other components?
The rigs main purpose will be gaming (Crysis, BF, TF) and casual use. I don't need alot of hard drive space as I don't store much.
I will slightly be OCing

Any suggestions/comments are appreciated.

Thanks
 
I'd recommend getting an aftermarket cooler for that cpu. If you have that and good case airflow, you'll be able to push that e8400 to 4ghz for some very nice value. The Noctua NH-U12P is pretty good.
If you want to get 4ghz, you'd be well off with some faster ram. 2gb is a bit on the low side, so I would recommend getting this excellent ram from mushkin.

mushkin 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146755

edit: doesn't look like the noctua is available on newegg, instead you could get the thermalright ultra-120

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835109125

2nd edit: You're PSU is overkill for that setup. I run almost the exact same setup (see sig) with a earthwatts 500w psu just fine.
The earthwatts 500w is a good value PSU, but if you want something quieter, you should get a PSU with a 120mm fan, such as the Corsair HX 520w.
 
That looks like a nice setup. I'd recommend a bigger HDD. 320GB is nothing, it will be gone before you know it. I recommend this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136131

Also, a 500W PSU is like the bare minimum for a setup like that so you can easily get screwed if you want to upgrade next year. Yes it might be overkill now, but I don't think you will regret a little extra power.
 
Will the HD 4870 work well with this setup:

GPU: SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 4870 512MB
I recommend a Visiontek instead. Visiontek has a lifetime warranty

RAM: G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 800
You really should go with 4GB (2 x 2GB).

PSU: CORSAIR 750TX 750W
Probably more than you need, but you can never have TOO much power in a computer, and power supplies always run better and quieter with less load compared to overall. If you decide to go with a smaller PSU, check out the Corsair 550VX. buy.com has very low prices on Corsair PSU's right now, usually also with free shipping.

CPU Cooler: COOLER MASTER Hyper TX2 CPU Cooler
You are much better off with something like the Xigmatek HDT-S1283 w/retention bracket. Review of the Xigmatek HDT-S1283 at FrostyTech.

Is the mobo compatible with all other components?
Yes
 
Thanks for the comments.

-I know the 320GB HDD is small, but I truly don't use up a lot of space on my computers.
-I agree with the 4GB suggestion, not that much more money for 2x the amount of RAM, however I am only going to be using a 32bit OS Vista.
-I purposely made the PSU overkill, as I want to be able to upgrade video cards at least 3 years into the future. I might plan on using this PSU with 2 HD 4870's in xfire later on.

Also, a couple quick questions about OCing. I have never done it before, and I'm thinking about it with my new setup here.

-Are there any reviews that show the difference overclocking makes in real world games?
-Along with the first question, how much of a difference would there be between a e8400 at 3GHz versus an e8400 at 3.6GHz in FPS in a game like Crysis, using a HD 4870? Is it worth the risk?
-If I decide to overclock to 3.6 or 3.8, would my RAM need to be 1000mhz DDR2, or could it just be 800mhz DDR2?

Thanks!
 
if you are going for vista, there is no reason for you to go 32bit. Im running Vista64, and dont encounter any problem with all my 32bit applications
 
I don't know, I tried 64bit XP about 2 years ago and it was absolutely terrible. Hardly anything would be compatible.
 
I don't know, I tried 64bit XP about 2 years ago and it was absolutely terrible. Hardly anything would be compatible.

That's entirely different. Vista 64-bit is not XP 64-bit.

There is no reason, unless you have old hardware that doesn't have drivers, not to get Vista 64-bit now. If you're building/buying a new computer, there won't be any problems.
 
I haven't had too many problems with my 64 bit Vista home premium. I am having a problem with my Microsoft sidewinder mouse. It asks me for drivers everytime that I boot up. Wish there was a way to turn this off. Anyone know?
 
I might plan on using this PSU with 2 HD 4870's in xfire later on.

If you intend to go with a Crossfire setup in the future, it would be a good idea to get an X38 or X48 board instead, in order to have the full 16X bandwidth for each PCI-E slot.

Other than that, the build looks very solid(assuming you plan on going with 4GB of RAM as per others' suggestions).
 
If you intend to go with a Crossfire setup in the future, it would be a good idea to get an X38 or X48 board instead, in order to have the full 16X bandwidth for each PCI-E slot.

Other than that, the build looks very solid(assuming you plan on going with 4GB of RAM as per others' suggestions).

Actually I don't think it makes that much of a difference. The P45 can do both at x16. See this link: http://forum.desktopreview.com/showthread.php?t=234623

The first review seems to agree with you, however the next 3 all show that the x38/x48 are only slightly better then the P45...

Let me know what you think...
 
good setup but need a bigger HDD and a better mobo chipset such as intel X38 or X48
I actually run this CPU cooling for my X2 6000+ and it works good enough.
 
Actually I don't think it makes that much of a difference. The P45 can do both at x16. See this link: http://forum.desktopreview.com/showthread.php?t=234623

The first review seems to agree with you, however the next 3 all show that the x38/x48 are only slightly better then the P45...

Let me know what you think...

Ah, I misread the motherboard. I thought you were going with a P5K at first. With a P45 board you should be good :).
 
Back
Top