This forum has gone to crap

I rarely ever post here nowadays.

There's not much activity on here anymore - and when there is activity, it's mostly questions about things like LM317's, switches, case fans, etc... basic stuff which is 99% of the time answerable by a FAQ. I'm up for helping people with ambitious projects and new things, but that just doesn't happen on here anymore.

Plus I'm now a homeowner, and taking care of a whole house/driveway/yard/barn/etc takes up far more time than a room in a shared condo which I had before. My "idle internet time" is a fraction of what it was.

And thirdly, the [H] enthusiast environment bores me nowadays. I rarely ever play computer games, I don't drool over multiple video cards as I did when Voodoo2 SLI's were around, etc. My computer gets used for web, e-mail, electronics design, photography and not much else.

I'll still check in here every now and often, and I'm more than willing to help people with electronics work. Provided that it's not a fanbus. :D

I do a lot of reading in this forum , but don't post.

There are people in here that have far more knowledge in this area than me, so I lurk and learn..:)

I don't see many good projects anywhere anymore. I think everyones with gee, we've all gotten old and other stuff takes up our spare time nowadays. :(

And thirdly, the [H] enthusiast environment bores me nowadays. I rarely ever play computer games, I don't drool over multiple video cards as I did when Voodoo2 SLI's were around, etc. My computer gets used for web, e-mail, electronics design, photography and not much else.

You sound exactly like me. I have no idea how I can lose all the interest like what I used to. Hell I don't even know whats the fastest vid cards today lol

You sound exactly like me. I have no idea how I can lose all the interest like what I used to. Hell I don't even know whats the fastest vid cards today lol
Diito.

Time constraints are more imposing. And technology has advanced where even middle of the road parts are sufficient for most tasks.

I'm not sure if the case modding fad has peaked, but it seems there aren't even simple queries posted any longer. I guess more people are actually using their computers than decorating them.

And it always struck my a bit odd that most case modding is more an experiment in bondo and bodywork than anything "hi tech"

So what is ESD? other than a linux sound dameon

You haven't read the ESD sticky up top here, filled with turths, myths and flat out lies (not necessarily in that order - the percentages of each is actually reversed) ?

How that made sticky status, I'll never understand.

You haven't read the ESD sticky up top here, filled with turths, myths and flat out lies (not necessarily in that order - the percentages of each is actually reversed) ?

How that made sticky status, I'll never understand.

thanks, I didn't notice that. I missed these turths though.:p

I think the downtime has killed this pace off a bit. Its never quite been the same.

The forum faded off when it was taken off the main list and tucked away under case modding I think.

i think this forum still has a ways before it's dead, i will post all of my worklogs here.

There are only so many ways to wire up LEDs, fans and switches that is not covered in previous threads. So we are out of fresh material here.

So we are out of fresh material here.
Here's my electronic art links for some inspiration...

This site has some cool stuff, but the layout is pretty odd... Click the 'How do you find anything here' link for a list of his electronic works.

The Wooden Mirror is amazing :eeek:
830 square pieces of wood, 830 servo motors, control electronics, video camera, computer, wood frame.

I'm not sure if I ever would have thought of this
In this project, a precursor to Lifeblood, I used a row of eight air tubes placed in the bottom of the water tank to write out alphanumeric symbols one at a time. The video shows a small segment of a long, poetic statement. ThinkTank is pictured here writing "AM I MAKING MYSELF CLEAR."
Guy Marsden - Electronic Artwork - This guy used an lcd as a shipping label to mail a plastic art contest entry to Wired Magazine.

World Power Systems

Tim Hunkin

He's got funky contraptions at the Under the Pier Show

Artbots - the robot talent show. The entries are under the 'Participants' link. Be sure to check out the previous shows as well. So far I think my favorite is the Shockbot:

...The Computer sends control-signals to the robot and therefor the robot moves to a random point in the computer hardware and by contact creates a short-circuit...

With increased damage of the computer the control-signals get impaired affecting the correct function of the shock-bot and finally leading to a complete system crash.
:D

AlexAndromeda

Mood Vector, home of the lightning organ.
The Lightning Organ is a musical sculpture that produces sound by controlling the audible pitches of visible electrical arcs.

Bruce Cannon

Ken Feingold

I had a lot of hope for this place, but like a few have said, 'real life' got in the way.

Back