• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

This a good CPU to overclock? (3.0C)

nst6563

2[H]4U
Joined
Sep 15, 2003
Messages
4,023
I'll be ordering a new cpu in a few days, and was going to shoot for either a 2.8c or 3.0c P4. I had tossed around the idea of a prescott...but seeing the reports of the heat, and the on/off cycling it does just to keep running...I've decided not to put a turd in my machine.


I've been looking at this part# BX80532PG3000D and was wondering if anything can be known from this? It's around $225 (from a decent retailer like Monarch or Newegg). Is there any way to know what stepping it is? Which one is the best for OC (well, I know each cpu is different, but what has the "best chance")?


Or should I get a 2.8C for the $180's????
thanks for input.
 
The M0 stepping chips are supposely better overclockers. The 2.8c's could reach 3.4 to 3.6 on air, YMMV.
 
Go for the 3.0C. The only thing holding my 3.0 back from clocking higher is my memory.
 
ive had a handful of the 3.0's,

and most of them have hit 3.6ghz easily, with the right hardware of course,

ymmv
 
If I can hit around 3.5-3.7 I'd be satisfied (for now). I could always upgrade the cooling later. For now, it would be on Air cooling (Vantec Aeroflow). Which, the hsf I have now works pretty good (except for the vibration the damned tmd fan creates).

Will Newegg verify a stepping for me if I called? If not, what company would?
 
Back
Top