Third RMA w/ EVGA, been posting everywhere..help?

Story of my life,

Ill keep it short. 8800 gt stopped working 3 weeks ago. Contact EVGA, they RMA me a 8800 gtx and it works for an hour then this happens:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KotMiWmCBaM

I contact EVGA AGAIN, and so they say they will send me another one. I send mine back in...get the 8800gtx back ( hopefully it wasn't the same one I sent in because it only took them 2 days to send one back). Same thing is happening. This time I was playing Global agenda for less than 5 minutes...blue dots all over screen...BSOD...restart...freeze at login screen.

Could this be anything OTHER than my video card?

And how can I talk to EVGA about doing something else rather than this same lousy process over and over again?

help is much appreciated-thankyou.

yeah id definitely say its the cards since almost all them are refurbed RMA cards.. and the 8800GTX's are notorious for having issues.. like falling anvil said id request a gts 250 or 9800GTX+(same card as the gts 250).. im sure they have plenty of those cards laying around as well..

does it look like this,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGtsCSXW4QI

gtx-1.jpg

gtx-3.jpg

Bad card... definitely ask for a 9800gtx+ or GTS250... OR higher.

And request that they cross-ship you the new card with a pre-paid return shipping label because it is stupid for you to keep having to pay for return shipping, especially since they keep sending you faulty cards.

Bad card for sure. I agree with cyclone3d request crossing shipping (if you have a credit card or a debt card you don't mind freezing some funds on) and ask for the higher quality cards.

8800GTXs are known to be at the end of their legs at this point. There are so many stories of them dying right now.

I myself had the exact same issue with XFX. Sent in an 8800GT. Got an 8800GTX back that was dead. The damn thing ran 110° C on idle!!! Dots everywhere. The FPS was half what it should have been.

yeah..I just emailed there support...trying to get a different card or money towards a different one. This whole process is just so exhausting though.

yeah..I just emailed there support...trying to get a different card or money towards a different one. This whole process is just so exhausting though.

This is why I buy the extended Fry's or Micro center warranty if I can. Its really nice to be able to bring it in and without any questions get a brand new card of my choosing or store credit if they don't have anything close enough. Plus when you use your warranty you can buy another so you don't stay uncovered.

uggh, they still suck I see.

I went through the same exact hassle with EVGA a few years back when my 8800 started showing artifacts. It took 3 or 4 RMAs before they sent me a card that wasn't defective.

They were great as far as customer service/response but their quality control gets a huge F.

With that said it may be just their 8800 series. I can't speak for their current video card.

honestly... a 8800gt?? that card is well past it's prime. probably much easier to just cut your losses and move on

honestly... a 8800gt?? that card is well past it's prime. probably much easier to just cut your losses and move on

yeah but thats not the point, sending out refurbs without testing or hoping people just give up isnt good business, its like shady mail in rebates, they just hope they give you enough hassle/work you go away.

after the first one id make sure they cover shipping on any replacements till they get it right.

I have had ONE RMA for a video card in my many years building computers and it was an EVGA 8800gtx. A good frined of mine also had to RMA an EVGA card.

Its nice to see that another person also was getting screwed over by EVGA so i know im not alone :) And true their customer service does just fine but it's like they don't even test their cards coming out.

Also-an 8800 gt runs most of the games today at pretty decent settings and paying $140 isn't an option at the moment. I've already paid $25 for shipping the first time, and yes the covered the shippping this time.

I just want a damn working card EVGA!

The evga warranty forum is full of folks who have required 3-6 consecutive RMAs for the same product. That, plus their policy of selling expensive advance RMA warranty lottery tickets - which don't even get refunded if the advance replacement they send you is broken - is the reason why I avoid evga when possible.

When I had to RMA my card, I drove to the EVGA office in Brea. They had someone come out and meet with me but would not RMA the card on the spot. They said they need the card shipped to prove it was received. He said he tested the card and it was fine, I knew it wasn't. So got the RMA, shipped it and that was that. Only problem doing this of course is the wait time between shipping and the travel time. It wouldn't stop me from buying from them again, I know nothing is perfect. One of my reasons for buying from them was thinking I could just drive over to them if my card went bad and have it taken care of instantly.

Ive gave up on them, the final straw was the damn outsourced rebate company pissing me off, they try and deny every damn rebate it seems unles syou whine piss and moan to get it... so when i lok at pricing no evga rebates are left out of the equasion, i know they want to make them difficult hoping people dont both but at some point it will cost them in sales.

I only buy a half dozen cards a month or so for the office but they wont be EVGA anymore, need more companies who offer lifetime warranty or a GOOD 3 year warranty with aftermarket coolers, the zotac is nice and quiet but triple slot cooler is a but much.

I've had to do an RMA with EVGA several times over the years. Always been painless and hassle free for me and the replacement cards have all been fine. Either you're unlucky or I'm lucky .......

i think the issue usually comes from people getting an rma exchange someone else had sent it which might be an occasional issue but it passed a quick post test or something and it goes back out the door, i dont know but it always seems to be refurbs that cause the issues that ive seen.

I recently had to RMA my 8800gtx to EVGA also. It's in my spare computer and I honestly did not want to buy a new card for a PC I rarely play games on anymore, so RMA made sense. I received back an obviously bad card... wouldn't even boot into Windows, just gave a black screen. It had obviously been refurbed because the chokes on it looked new, but you'd think someone would at least test the damn things. If not EVGA, then whoever does their repairs. I called to complain and got them to cross-ship and was happy when I opened the box to at least find a prepaid UPS label inside. The 2nd card is also a refurb judging from the yellow DVI connector sitting next to the white one (guess yellow was all they had sitting around?), but at least it seems to work.

The best part of the story is how they sent me out a customer service survey on their RMA service afterwards. Yeah, I wasn't kind. In my opinion, after a company sends you out a broken replacement, everything they do afterwards is damage control.

Also, never, ever email your RMA request to EVGA, call them. I tried the email thing when I started the RMA process and it literally took a week to get the RMA started. It went like this:

Day 1: Emailed EVGA with RMA request
Day 2: Received wall-of-text with 4 things I needed to try first (test RAM, check voltages, etc)
Day 3: I waste my time testing things I know won't help and send reply back stating it didn't help
Day 4: Receive response from EVGA telling me I can now request an RMA and here's my case number. Wait, what? I haven't been doing an RMA all along? Nope, I have to upload my original invoice from 4 years ago (seriously?) even though this was a Step-Up and I already had done so to do that process. Then they'll review it and give me an RMA number. So I upload the damn invoice. Thank god places like Newegg keep it on record... they were probably hoping I didn't have it.
Day 5: I receive RMA number.
Day 6: I mail it out.

This is why they got hammered on the survey they sent me. Pile a defective refurb on top of this week long stall tactic and I was in no mood for a survey.

At least EVGA uses English speaking Americans for their tech support so instead of hearing, "Haha stupid American," when you call tech support for Asus, you get, "I'm sorry to hear that, sir." from EVGA.

Seriously, seriously everybody.

Could this be anything OTHER than my video card?

Yes!

Seriously, seriously everybody.

So this guy is posting everywhere and we instantly blame the card and suggest an RMA. Even after 2 exchanges already? I mean cmon give EVGA a little credit. Not saying it's not a bad card but isn't a little troubleshooting in order? Aren't we supposed to be [H]ard?

OP at this point I suggest you try and rule out something else for your system. EVGA has wasted resources exchanging your card 2x. This being your 3rd card I'd personally try it on another system and see if it exhibits the same issue. If not then it could be something with your configuration. That thermaltake Power supply you have is suspect. It isn't very reliable and I've seen many of them go bad and cause issues.

Also, what have you done to troubleshoot this issue software-wise? Have you cleaned out the driver using driver sweeper, have you made sure your not missing any drivers like mobo chipset drivers in the device manager, have you updated your motherboard chipset drivers, clean install of the os?

You should invest at least some time troubleshooting the issue before a 3rd RMA.

Perhaps an RMA is the fix but it is your moral responiability at this time to troubleshoot the issue and make sure your not wasting EVGA's money and resources replacing cards when your system could be the cause IMHO.

The odd blue dots he's getting on his screen and the other oddities in my experience are almost always bad video memory.

The odd blue dots he's getting on his screen and the other oddities in my experience are almost always bad video memory.

Yes from my experience too, however I had a bad FX5950 at a work computer in the past, or so I thought until I swapped the power supply and realized the vram wasn't getting enough voltage due to a failing psu.

Since I already had the EVGA comfirm the new RMA of a 260 I am going to put this card in and if it doesn't work going to be doing some mixing and matching.

After a couple of bullshit sessions with them I decided to leave them alone. Not worth it, as mentioned that EAR program is ridiculous, then if you decide you don't want it you get those awesome evga 'bucks'. Not quite the word I was thinking but it does rhyme.

Back