Third-Party IM program

I hate AOL from the very depths of my soul, but I want an instant message program that I can use to communicate with friends. Is their a third party or open source type program that I can use that would still communicate between aim or msn or some of the more commercial programs?

I use Trillian Pro.

Miranda is another that hasn't been mentioned yet.

I'm on the new version of Trillion (basic) 3.0/build967 it's smoothe as silk, but I keep wanting to answer the door when someone signs on :p

k1pp3r said:

yep

got everything you need (AIM, ICQ, Yahoo, MSN), as well as plugins if you buy Trillian Pro, plus it has customizable events.

k1pp3r said:
so what kindof plugins do they make, and what else is there to convince me to buy pro

Trillian pro features things like video chat, and the ability to connect to Jabber and Novell Messenger networks (convenient for a business environment, I'm sure), as well as plugin support.

Here's a list: http://www.ceruleanstudios.com/compare/

Plugins include things like gmail notification, weather, and spellchecking.

yay for trillian pro!

also decent winamp plugins which I like

I still have problems with it doing file transfers around firewalls but that's pretty much my only gripe. It used to be bothersome that it wouldn't display html but thankfully that was rectified

What exactly about the Pro version that is worth the $25 for a year over the free version?

rhouck said:
yay for trillian pro!

also decent winamp plugins which I like

I still have problems with it doing file transfers around firewalls but that's pretty much my only gripe. It used to be bothersome that it wouldn't display html but thankfully that was rectified

Gaim kthx. Streamlined. No flashy crap like skins. Does what it does and does it well.

MajorDomo said:
What exactly about the Pro version that is worth the $25 for a year over the free version?

Biggest thing for me is the change in how text logging works. Usually it default saves to a txt file and so it's simply a click away.on the message window. However, with Pro, in addition to saving the it to a txt file, it also displays the last 100 (or whatever you choose) lines IN the chat window as grayed out text. So you can close windows when talking to people and when they message you back, your last message(s) are visible so you can remember wth you were talking about (useful for people with bad memories or who talk to people who respond very.... very.... very slowly)

Aside from that, mostly smaller stuff that depends on what you want. Most plugins that are available are Pro version only so if any of them interest you, you need to step up.

Most important plugin to me is the HTML one so when looking at buddy profiles, the links/colors/etc actually show up.

Oh and it also enables a lot of the small features in the chat progs (video chat in Yahoo, etc).... that you probably don't care about but they're there.

There might be other things but all I can think of at the moment. I went from Basic to Pro and then back to Basic... and there were enough differences that it drove me nuts and I went back to Pro.

Trillian Pro 3...it's definately worth the $25 I spent on it. I love being able to access Trillian from another pc at school without having to log off on the main one (with the imeverywhere plugin).

Blue Fox said:
Trillian Pro 3...it's definately worth the $25 I spent on it. I love being able to access Trillian from another pc at school without having to log off on the main one (with the imeverywhere plugin).

ahh i'd rather spend that money on some pot and a blunt, or booze..... GAIM is free!!!!

I'm still using trillian 1. Had trillian 3 pro for a while (free shhhh!) but one day it decided to start using 50 % of my CPU, so it had to go. I'll probably upgrade to trillian 3 basic one day when I get bored, but for now trillian 1 is still working fine for me.

RancidWAnnaRIot said:
GAIM.. handsdown.. striaght and simple.. and it has tabbed IMing!!!

So does the new version of Trillian Pro.

(I don't know why I'm pimping trillian so much, sorry :p ).

theDot said:

i was not aware... lol... well i think we can all agree.. anything is better than AIM..
:D

another vote for gaim. though the version i have (i don't know which) file transfer doesn't work and i have to log in under regular aim for that. not really an issue though since i rarely have to transfer files.

tim_m said:
another vote for gaim. though the version i have (i don't know which) file transfer doesn't work and i have to log in under regular aim for that. not really an issue though since i rarely have to transfer files.

rarely works on trillian either. WIth some people I can transfer over AIM and MSN within trillian, but others it won't work worth crap. Just depends....on what I don't know.

I tried Trillian 3 Pro, but don't like the video implemention for yahoo at all. With someoen viewing my webcam and me viewing my webcame it basicly ate all my cpu cycles and video lagged bad. So switched to GAIM and just using Yahoo IM.

theDot said:

dang that's awesome. I've been lazy and haven't bothered to upgrade to the new Trillian3 (even tho I have it lol....)

i ditched trillian for gaim. i see no reason to use anything else.

I currently use GAIM and an IRC plug in for Firefox. Quick question: have they got file transfers working with GAIM yet? I don't do it often but sometimes I do need it so I have to load up something else for it (total PITA).

rhouck said:
how well does trillians irc work vs say mirc? i never bothered to try it
It's not bad, but I prefer mIRC + NoNameScript anyday.

rhouck said:
how well does trillians irc work vs say mirc? i never bothered to try it
It works well enough for what I do with it. I only use it to idle in my CS:S clan channel for scrims/matches. You will have to give it a whirl. I just like having everything in one program, instead of having mIRC and Trillian both open.

Back