Third Cable Cut Compounds Net Woes

Care to tell me where I ever said or implied that? Thanks.

Post# 24. I see no other implication. Care to clarify what makes you think the US is involved and not the rest of the world or the fact that it might just even be an accident? Thanks.

He probably can't explain it, or won't. It's the blame America first mentality that has been embedded into his DNA by media outlets and/or talk radio jockeys. It's the cool and popular thing to do if you're a young individual because it makes you look more smart and intellectual among lefties, even though you have no clue what you're talking about. It's a generic cover all scenario that has *just enough* shock value not to draw much attention but to raise enough eyebrows.

I'm surprised some members are still posting crap like "Nuke em'". :rolleyes:

Don't be so sensitized and politically correct. There's an extremely large population of middle eastern people and leaders that wouldn't hesitate to push the red button on the US and it's allies if there were no repercussions.

arr.. no edit. lol, and for that matter, if put in that position, most would do it anyway and not even care about the after effects.

In my best Don Adams impression....

"Would you believe.... Four"

I understand that. I'm just rolling my eyes at his singling out the American government for conspiracies as if we're the only country in the world who does it.

I still wouldn't put it past our government to do this.

For all you people thinking the US had anything to do with cutting the cables......think again. It affects our connectivity in the area pretty heavily as well.

lol, and why cut cables when you can simply just monitor what goes over them to stay ahead of the game. The data mining they can do is incredible. Cutting their feeds would be taking a way a valuable resource for listening to enemies.

I personally cant wait till the repairs are made. Our bandwidth has taken a HUGE hit. While we'll never totally lose our connection to the 'net. Having the extra bandwith does make things easier over here.

And as was mentioned...we have no good reasons to cut the cables. It would hurt us more than help us.

He probably can't explain it, or won't. It's the blame America first mentality that has been embedded into his DNA by media outlets and/or talk radio jockeys. It's the cool and popular thing to do if you're a young individual because it makes you look more smart and intellectual among lefties, even though you have no clue what you're talking about. It's a generic cover all scenario that has *just enough* shock value not to draw much attention but to raise enough eyebrows.

I don't really think that's a fair thing to say considering how many times I see 'liberal media' or some other variation of liberal used nearly as profanity on this board and others. It goes both ways. I'm not attacking you, just throwing it out there. You may be dead on about why he said it, I don't know.

ON TOPIC, I do think there was some sabotage here since they are usually marked on maps and expensive to repair.
Plus if the ever found out who did it there are HUGE fines involved, not to mention depending on the country forfeiture of the vessel.

No Sabotage is necessary to bring all these down. These things happen from day to day, it's just that in the past it wasn't so many at once, if you lose one cable, they simply repair it with minimal downtime... if you lost a couple at one time, then the third and fourth is really choking. Think of it as a Raid6 drive failure, one doesn't matter, two is starting to worry, the 3rd is critical.

If you sever a cable with your anchor, you won't be held responsible for it. These cables move undersea and they are not simple to pinpoint without the guidance of cable laying ships. When storms are involved with dragging anchors, there is much less you can do.

To snap one of these cables, you would need a lot of force.... simply put, the only thing that can break these cables at such a depth would be a sinking ship, anchor, something thrown overboard such as a dumped damaged container, subterranian movements, etc. You can't swim to the bottom or drop an anchor on one on purpose.... hell, you would need some miraculous coordination and timing. I suppose you could drag a massive anchor.

It could be likely with the recent seismic movements in that area that the cable got damaged... or simply another anchor or earth movement.

No Sabotage is necessary to bring all these down. These things happen from day to day, it's just that in the past it wasn't so many at once, if you lose one cable, they simply repair it with minimal downtime... if you lost a couple at one time, then the third and fourth is really choking. Think of it as a Raid6 drive failure, one doesn't matter, two is starting to worry, the 3rd is critical.

If you sever a cable with your anchor, you won't be held responsible for it. These cables move undersea and they are not simple to pinpoint without the guidance of cable laying ships. When storms are involved with dragging anchors, there is much less you can do.

To snap one of these cables, you would need a lot of force.... simply put, the only thing that can break these cables at such a depth would be a sinking ship, anchor, something thrown overboard such as a dumped damaged container, subterranian movements, etc. You can't swim to the bottom or drop an anchor on one on purpose.... hell, you would need some miraculous coordination and timing. I suppose you could drag a massive anchor.

It could be likely with the recent seismic movements in that area that the cable got damaged... or simply another anchor or earth movement.

Do they tend to bunch the cables up in one location or spread them out? Your storm example brings up a situation where, if bunched, a single tanker ship or something of the sort could take out several at once as its anchor is dragged across the bottom.

Do they tend to bunch the cables up in one location or spread them out? Your storm example brings up a situation where, if bunched, a single tanker ship or something of the sort could take out several at once as its anchor is dragged across the bottom.

It depends on the contracts. They don't have to bunch them, but they can. I assume that when it comes to some areas, geographically it would be better to lay only in certain areas which can cause them to be bunched.

It's not uncommon to have them bunched, criss cross, or sag over each other.

Yeah, I was watching a show on the discovery science channel a while back. It was about the guys who do cable and pipe repairs like that. It can be a real mess with the cables. But it was cool how they do some of the repairs. They'll build a submersible work room and weight it down to the depth they need it, or anchor it to the ocean floor. The workers are already in it, or arrive via a submarine. You can kind of think of it as the bubble dive thing from Waterworld, but big enough for 2 or 3 guys to comfortably work in. It's pretty cool. That's more along the lines of underwater pipe welding on ocean floors, but it applies in some cases to cable as well.

Back