Thinkpad Software & SSD Question

OrangeWolf

Gawd
Hey guys,

So I got a new job. Temporary, but it's teaching, and it finally gives me the excuse I needed to purchase a laptop (probably going to buy anyway, gotta check on the pay I'll be getting). I don't need help picking one out as I've been wanting a Thinkpad x230 with an i5 and the IPS screen -- so that's what I'll be getting. The HD 4000 graphics should be sufficient for the small amount of gaming I'll do on it and it's perfect for portability and productivity.

But here's my main question:

I actually like the Lenovo ThinkVantage software. What I want to do is install an SSD in the x230 to go along with the hard drive it comes with and put Windows on that. But I don't want to lose the Lenovo ThinkVantage software. How do I move the installation of Windows + Thinkpad Software to the SSD from the original Harddrive?

If that's not going to work, then I guess... uh, actually, yeah. I think I know how to get Windows onto the SSD (boot menu and change boot order, then install?), but then it's installed on both hard drives? Yeah, I haven't done this sort of thing before.

Might be better to just purchase it with an SSD from the start?

Secondary Questions:
(1) I know that the Crucial M4 SSDs are the bomb. I'll need a 2.5" one if I buy one to put in the extra bay slot?
(2) I think I'll get it with 4GB of RAM and just upgrade it to 8GB (or 16GB if you guys think it would show a difference at all) myself. Suggestions on RAM?

Thanks all!

You aren't going to move it, so forget that.

Go to the Lenovo Support Site. Enter your M/T number and it will take you to a dedicated site for that model, and it will have user manuals, service manuals, drivers and software. Look under the ThinkVantage Technologies section. Everything you need should be there.

Probably don't need the HD Active Protection System any more.

Also, if you have the old management software it is being replaced by LSC (Lenovo System Center). Whether they are back-fitting it to earlier models I'm not sure.

Ok, thanks. I'll go have a look there and see if it clarifies everything -- I don't actually have the laptop yet, I just want to be sure that I'm capable of doing what I want to do with my not-awesome skills.

Cheers :)

BTW... Assuming it's still supported (it's kinda hard to figure out with Lenovo), you can download their "System Update" utility and run it after the basic windows install.

It should pick up everything you need.

It's basically Windows Update for Lenovo Software.,

All of the thinkvantage software is available from their site for download.

You can just pull the HDD out and put in the SSD, reinstall windows and install their software, or

you can buy an mSATA SSD and just copy the disc image, or

you can just reinstall windows + drivers onto the mSATA SSD and just use the HDD for storage.

Just buy an external enclosure and clone the disk using something like acronis 2011 (there are, of course other options, that is just what I used, because I could confirm it supported alignment) to the SSD. Don't get one with a SSD from the start, Lenovo'll rape you.

Oh, lots of great ideas! Thanks for sure. I hadn't thought of cloning or copying the disc image. Excellent.

Of course now I've got to wait on a deal again -- seems like Win8 coming out has nixed most of them for now.

Great responses guys, thanks.

Back