Thinkpad madness!

Spooph

Limp Gawd
Can somebody please explain to a poor ignorant fool what the difference between all the IBM laptops are? Like the R,T,G,X. I think I've figured the X to be light and "ultra mobile". Other than that I can't get it... Thanks for all your help up front!

the T series (magnesium shell) falls under the Thin and Light category. the R series is a cheaper slightly heavier (plastic shell) version of the T series. The R series uses alot of the same parts that the T series, but overall the T series has much better high end options. The G series is the cheapest option; it uses a desktop processor and is more of a desktop replacement. I'm sure IBM.com gives some good info on this

T: Thin and Light (and expensive). They make use of metal shells and generally weigh 4-5.5 lbs depending on the model, and are generally 1-1.3" thick depending on model(14" is about 4.5lbs & 1"; the 15" is about 5.2lbs & 1.2" IIRC)
R: Standard line. They use ABS shells, and take the same parts as the T series. They weigh 6lbs+, and are thicker than the T series.
G: Desktop Replacement line: they use P4s. I don't know much else abut them, as I am not interested in DTRs.
X: Ultraportable: 4lbs or less in weight, 12.1" screens, and titanium shells.

The T series is their 'business' line where supposedly you can get their latest and greatest options. IMHO, it is one of the best built notebook models around. Plus the black matte casing just looks like you mean serious business! :D
The last time I've been told, all of T notebooks (and maybe some X series) are still made by an IBM factory (yes, in China/Taiwan but still by an IBM owned factory) while most of their other models are outsourced to Chinese/Taiwanese notebook making industries.

darkamage said:
The T series is their 'business' line where supposedly you can get their latest and greatest options. IMHO, it is one of the best built notebook models around. Plus the black matte casing just looks like you mean serious business! :D
The last time I've been told, all of T notebooks (and maybe some X series) are still made by an IBM factory (yes, in China/Taiwan but still by an IBM owned factory) while most of their other models are outsourced to Chinese/Taiwanese notebook making industries.

My T42 was manufactured and shipped from Hong Kong.

Within 2 days :D

Actually, The latest article I can find (dated 2003) states that most thinkpads are still built in-house on joint ventured factories between IBM and a Chinese state owned company. I don't know if that is still true for all models or not.

Back