Thinking of upgrading to M4(s) and have a few questions.

Jaz709

n00b
I currently have an X25-M G2 80G as my main drive. I'm seriously thinking about purchasing 1 or 2 M4 128G drives being I can get them for $175/ea. That works out to $1.37/G CDN If I were to get the 256G at $384.99 it works out to be $1.50/G.

By purchasing 2 it would still be cheaper than buying the 256 at current prices. I could also just get one now and wait for another sale to grab a 2nd unit. I never gave raid 0 much thought being I'd be loosing trim but that option is/was there.

Have any of you upgraded to the M4's from the X25-M's? Looking at some benches it looks as though there's quite an improvement.

I'm not gamer but I'm trying to get my system geared up for backing up vids and doing photo work mainly, along with the usuals.

System:

Thermaltake Mozart TX
Asus Sabertooth P67
i7 2600K @ 4.8Ghz
Noctua DH14
16G G-Skill
MSI GTX 460
Sony DVD-RW
X25-M 80G
WD 1002FAEX

I have never put SSD's in raid 0, but I have had alot of regular drives in raid 0 setups.

Every time I did it, the performance gain was always just slight, and I never once did it and not eventually regretted it for one reason or another.

IMO get the larger single drive and setup nightly/weekly backups. I am getting that same drive next week btw... the 256gb one.

Last edited:
I agree that you are better off getting the single larger drive - the performance increase of RAIDing the SSDs isn't worth the hassle/increased risk of data loss, in my opinion. I just recently upgraded from an X-25M 160GB Gen 2 drive to the 256GB M4 and, while benchmarks are better, I didn't notice any performance difference (bulk copies are faster, but day to day stuff is about the same).

Performance from SSD to a newers SSD will be very little, hard to notice outside benchmarks, not going to be the OMG this is fast like from moving from mechanical HDDs, that said, im also moving from a X25m 120gb to Crucial M4 256gb, i feel to cramped on 120gb, thinking about moving stuff all the time, and i cant have all my games installed on it, and there are a few games coming this year that i do want to play parallel, like Diablo 3, BF3, MW3, SC2 expansion.... and so on, so this was my main reason, i needed more space on my main drive. I was wating on the upcoming Samsung PM830 sata III ssds, but with crucial new firmware 0009 getting some speed boost and good user feedback.... i gave in =)

My main reason for starting this thread was to try and figure out whether or not I would be better off purchasing 2x 128's. They're cheaper per gig than buying a 256. It would also allow me to purchase a 2nd unit down the road.

Forceman has me thinking when he said, "I just recently upgraded from an X-25M 160GB Gen 2 drive to the 256GB M4 and, while benchmarks are better, I didn't notice any performance difference (bulk copies are faster, but day to day stuff is about the same." I'm now thining maybe I'll hold off and wait till the price per gig drops a little more. Decidions! Decisions!

I say don't go with RAID. The 256 GB drive would be faster, but is it a night and day difference? No. I wouldn't go with RAID 0 unless I see gaming load times dramatically decreased. I'd love to see near instantaneous load times.

Back