• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Thinking of upgrading from E6700

iPearl

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jun 13, 2007
Messages
1,560
Its the time of year again where i feel the urge of upgrading.
E6700, 2x1GB 1066 Ram, 8800 GT SSC 512 is my current set up

I been wanting a 1333 FSB CPU
so i thought E8400 but then i saw the Q8200
So now my question is, Is it even wroth it for me consider such upgrade ?

Also I am not looking forward to OC anything it will be all ran at stock speeds.

I am not plannign to upgrade to a new motherbaord and will be staying with socked 775 45nm capable for a while.

Any input is fine but please keep ignorant one to ur self.

Thanks
-Pearl
 
So now my question is, Is it even wroth it for me consider such upgrade ?
Assuming this is for gaming no.
Although I don't see why you don't want to OC the chip considering it should hit at least 3.4ghz OCed. Also, why do you have 1066 RAM if you arn't OCing?
 
Yes its for
Gaming (Guildwars, MirrorsEdge Nothing grand)
Work (Video editing not too big, Graphics design)
Entertainment (Watch HD movies and such, basic things)

Yeah it hits 3.2Ghz easily with the ram i have in it.
All i need to do is bump the FSB up and its happily runs 3.0+ Prime stable.

The main reason i upgrade is due to heat. I heard 45nm E/Q8xxx run alot cooler.
And have a smaller power consumption. But i dunt know yet.
Was debating between that or replace ram with 2x2gb 1066 ,...

-Pearl

Most of my items are able to OC if needed but run at stock speed most of their life LOL
 
I think the RAM would be the most worthwhile upgrade. What do you mean by heat? Why is heat output a problem?
 
The e6700 and e8400 both have a TDP rating of 65watts. Although I don't really know for certain, I don't think they will be that different in terms of heat.
 
The main reason i upgrade is due to heat. I heard 45nm E/Q8xxx run alot cooler.
And have a smaller power consumption. But i dunt know yet.
45nm and 65nm Core 2 CPUs have very similar power usage and heat production. You would not see a significant difference from upgrading to a 45nm chip.
 
Plus the Q8200 doesn't have Virtualization which you may want. The Q8400 does, but I'm just letting you know is all. You could find this out on Intel's web site if your curious.
 
Back
Top