Thinking of Sirius S-50

Well, I want to get someone Sirius for Christmas, and I really don't want to skimp on the quality of the unit....and I want it easy to install cleanly, I figured S-50 is the nicest one they have(well the Stiletto is toooooo rich for my blood)

It's going into a 2001 Accord if that makes any difference, but I want to know is there going to be any drawbacks with the S-50? Is FM modulation decent? Is the person going to have an ugly antenna install sitting on top of a car waiting to be stolen? Please edumacate me on Sirius.

I mostly want to buy this for the style factor compared to others, I know you can't listen to Sirius with it in your pocket.

I have sirius in my truck as part of the head unit. But I don't see the point of the handheld gadgets. When its not hooked into the car/home antenna, they are just mp3 players. It would be different if you could listen to the music live. If I was really motivated, I'd record the stream from the internet and dump it onto one of my mp3 players. (actually, I do that with the Thursday sessions of Paul VanDyke! :D )

I thought I saw something, maybe on engadget, where xm is coming out with a handheld unit that will be "live" no matter where you use it.

XM already has portable players, my friend had one last year the connected and played live radio.

And I want nothing to do with XM, Sirius fits my criteria(and the person I'm getting it for)so much better then XM.

And more on the reason for the S-50, it just looks sleeker in the car, and comes with a car kit unlike all the other players.

VRMan said:
I thought I saw something, maybe on engadget, where xm is coming out with a handheld unit that will be "live" no matter where you use it.

You are thinking of the Sirius Stiletto. It has live streaming via sat and when thats not available it will stream over wifi. As for the antenna I really don't see it as all that big anymore. It sure as hell is better than the ones both XM and Sirius had years ago. Depending on the car it would be very easy to hide, and if you do live in a area where people would steal them (why I don't know) you probably could put it in a window just fine.

www.siriusbackstage.com

Ah well, picked it up today, went down too $179 during the day! when I went to bestbuy earlier they wanted $220 then I was online tonight and saw it went cheaper, Circuit City was sold out.

So I got an S50+Installation for like $230.

stevo.k said:
Best buy is running a $100 rebate on the S50 right now. Here's the form http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=cat12105&type=page&rebateid=69215&skuid=7424245&h=387
I just picked one up myself, at $79 net it was too good a deal to pass up. I've already had one for a year and have the executive boom box for it, so I'll keep one in the car and the other on the boom box dock.
You'll love it.
Yeah, I know, I bought it from Best Buy, check one post up. Plus $100 rebate isn't exclusive to any store, you can redeem it on Sirius' website.

Just trying to save you some money, when you said you got the S50 installation for like $230, I thought you weren't aware of the rebate.
As to your original questions, my S50 is almost a year old now and I've heard they weakened the FM modulator to satisfy the FCC, but mine is installed in a Honda Odyssey and the reception is great. There's a good site that will tell you the best frequency to tune for your area http://www.radio-locator.com
The antenna is a very low profile unit that is barely noticible.

stevo.k said:
Just trying to save you some money, when you said you got the S50 installation for like $230, I thought you weren't aware of the rebate.
As to your original questions, my S50 is almost a year old now and I've heard they weakened the FM modulator to satisfy the FCC, but mine is installed in a Honda Odyssey and the reception is great. There's a good site that will tell you the best frequency to tune for your area http://www.radio-locator.com
The antenna is a very low profile unit that is barely noticible.
lol S-50+Installation, $180+$40.

That would suck if the FM transmitter is weak, but thanks for the site...I will be sure to use it.

All I can say is I LOVE my Sirius! Have had it for a year and even my Multi CD changer in my truck barely gets used.

One word of warning....do a search for aftermarket antennas...as the one that comes with the S50 SUCKS!! My first one went out 3 months after install, then it has just gone out again. I think its because the wire is VERY thin and fragile. And shoving it in between your window and weather stripping could easily crimp it.

Back