Thinking of playing WoW again, need advice.

azzkikur

Bad Trader
So I got the game when it first came out. I played a Paladin on a PvE server. I got to level 45 or so, before getting bored. I wanted to play on a PvP server, and choose a new character, but just couldn't make myself start over again. So I sold the game.

Now I see today that PCgamer has a free 14 day trial to WoW. It's been about 3 months, and I feel like I could start over now without feeling like I've lost a lot. What does everyone think of PvP servers?? I was a Paladin before, and it was pretty boring. What's a really rewarding character to play as?? Have the fixed some of the problems with the characters being broken?? I'm think of being a Hunter or a Rogue. What's everyones opinions on these two characters?? Have the added much in the way of content with the recent patches?? Sorry for all the questions, just been out of the WoW loop for some time now.

They have made a few changes here and there, but nothing that would completely make the game foreign to you. In regards to hunters, they are overhauling the talent trees in the upcoming 1.7 patch - might be a worthwhile class to look into.

Hunter and Rogue are the two most overplayed types of character in the game.

Hunters are good solo, provide moderately good DPS in groups, and are very nice for group PvP.

Rogues are great solo, you can rip through mobs in no time and with very little downtime between kills. They're good in groups, great DPS, but will sometimes be pased over for other classes, such as mage, because they are single target only. PvP is hit and miss, rogues basically sneak around ganking people, they're good at it, but if they lose the suprise advantage they can be an easy target for most other classes.

I'd recomend a Warrior. Good damage, big armor, can take hits, a few good utility spells for PK.

You should get the game, and try the horde side. There is a Hard guild on the stormscale server, its a PvP server. I did the same thing, I began wow on Eonar, a PvE server and got a dwarf hunter up to 58, I quit for a while, then rejoined the hardguild as an Orc Warrior.

The website is located at www.hardguild.net. If / when you do join, just msg anyone from the guild and they will add you.

Good thing about starting with Alliance and switching to horde, is that you know all the alliance forts, weak points, questing areas, etc.

I would still recommend a PVE server, makes lvl'ing a lot funner IMHO. I just tire of getting corpse camped for long periods of time zerged/ganked with the retarded honorless system. If I feel a need to PVP I can always hit TM/XR or just get in the WSG BG que.

That said, I played a Pally up to lvl 40 too. Boring as sin. Low ass DPS and no way to keep MOBS from running off. Sure you do not die much, but you also spend 2x more time just trying to kill MOBS. I played a Shammy to lvl 60, had quite a bit of fun. It's not as easy as other classes would have you think. Join a Guild, it helps a ton. I am currently lvl'ing a Rogue. Been really fun messing with stealth. I'll prolly do a pure caster class next, maybe a priest or mage. My2c...

I also recommend joining the [H] on Stormscale. Its a lower pop PVP server so the gankage is not too bad. Plus there is always 10 to 20 people on at one time. :cool:

In the next patch paladins get a new attack, it is pretty much a ranged execute, helps the problem of mobs running away when they get low on life.

Evil Scooter said:
I would still recommend a PVE server, makes lvl'ing a lot funner IMHO. I just tire of getting corpse camped for long periods of time zerged/ganked with the retarded honorless system. If I feel a need to PVP I can always hit TM/XR or just get in the WSG BG que.

That said, I played a Pally up to lvl 40 too. Boring as sin. Low ass DPS and no way to keep MOBS from running off. Sure you do not die much, but you also spend 2x more time just trying to kill MOBS. I played a Shammy to lvl 60, had quite a bit of fun. It's not as easy as other classes would have you think. Join a Guild, it helps a ton. I am currently lvl'ing a Rogue. Been really fun messing with stealth. I'll prolly do a pure caster class next, maybe a priest or mage. My2c...
pu$$y. PvP is more fun.

if u wanna level fast, get a mage. once you get to like lvl 24 u have an instant aoe attack if u spec it, u can take down 10 equal lvl mobs at a time if u get good at it.

I just started up again after leaving back in December...

Going to start a character on Stormscale tonight... what class does the [H] guild need?

BigECB said:
I just started up again after leaving back in December...

Going to start a character on Stormscale tonight... what class does the [H] guild need?

We are in need of Priests in my opinion... I'm a lvl 25 shammy... come play with us it's a good time :)

game name is same as forum name.

azzkikur said:
I was a Paladin before, and it was pretty boring.

Umm, duh!

Paladins are not exciting classes to play solo.

Try anything else. Based on what you are saying, I'd try Warrior, Rogue, Mage or Hunter.

Play each one to 20 or so. It takes me about 20 hours of /played time to get a character to 20, and that gives you at least a little feel for the class.

Genocidal[v2] said:
In the next patch paladins get a new attack, it is pretty much a ranged execute, helps the problem of mobs running away when they get low on life.

Oh yes! Sounds good to me! I am on the verge on 40 btw. I may get my horse tonight :)

Edit: BTW, I love playing a Paladin. They're strong as in they can survive a huge beating and they get a free horse. I beat up a 42 warrior 2 days ago when I was 38. I could never start another character and get it up to 40 again. It has taken me 6 months to get this far. I did stop playing for 3 months so I really have only played the character for 3 months, and in the beginning, most of that time was just sitting around, goofing off. I just love being hard to kill (holy light, divine protection, lay on hands, that 10 second shield thing all allow me to survive a long time).

ryanrule said:
pu$$y. PvP is more fun.

if u wanna level fast, get a mage. once you get to like lvl 24 u have an instant aoe attack if u spec it, u can take down 10 equal lvl mobs at a time if u get good at it.

FU, I don't have the time to run around taking 2x as long to complete quests. If getting ganked continually gets u off then by all means have fun on your PVP realm. But don't try to tell me what fun is.

Evil Scooter said:
FU, I don't have the time to run around taking 2x as long to complete quests. If getting ganked continually gets u off then by all means have fun on your PVP realm. But don't try to tell me what fun is.

Don't worry about him, we've been through this. The only reason for someone to play on a PvP realm is because they want to be an asshole and screw other players. If he wants to hang around with a bunch of assholes screwing each other, that's fine with me, but I'm not into screwing assholes.

Besides, any coward can gank someone with half health. But, it takes balls of steel to run around questing in STV while flagged on a normal server. Any adrenaline rush you can get on a PvP server can be had twofold on a normal server because you can be ganked, but you can't puss out and gank other players unless they flag and acknowledge that they want to be. Choosing a PvP server because you want to somehow be 'hard' is a delusion. Someone who really wanted to be 'hard' would choose a normal server and play flagged all the time.

It's cool though, because they can think they are being all 'leet' and stuff and have their own place to hang out and be assholes so they don't clog up the chat channels on the normal servers with their BS. The normal servers are bad enough without the PvP server fruits. Imagine how bad it would be with these people on the normal servers.

Concillian said:
Don't worry about him, we've been through this. The only reason for someone to play on a PvP realm is because they want to be an asshole and screw other players. If he wants to hang around with a bunch of assholes screwing each other, that's fine with me, but I'm not into screwing assholes.

Besides, any coward can gank someone with half health. But, it takes balls of steel to run around questing in STV while flagged on a normal server. Any adrenaline rush you can get on a PvP server can be had twofold on a normal server because you can be ganked, but you can't puss out and gank other players unless they flag and acknowledge that they want to be. Choosing a PvP server because you want to somehow be 'hard' is a delusion. Someone who really wanted to be 'hard' would choose a normal server and play flagged all the time.

It's cool though, because they can think they are being all 'leet' and stuff and have their own place to hang out and be assholes so they don't clog up the chat channels on the normal servers with their BS. The normal servers are bad enough without the PvP server fruits. Imagine how bad it would be with these people on the normal servers.
its not being ganked if u flag for pvp lol. and battles all over the place are fun. if i just wanted to quest i wouldnt be playing an MMORPG

ryanrule said:
its not being ganked if u flag for pvp lol. and battles all over the place are fun. if i just wanted to quest i wouldnt be playing an MMORPG

Played the game? If you are on a PVP server you do not need to "flag" to get ganked, what you describe is a PVE server. If I wanted to just PVP all I need to do is get in line for BG..

PVE = More Mobs with a slight increase in power. Raids tend to take a bit longer and Instances can last longer due to increased amount of Elite mobs

PVP = Less mobs overall but a tendancy to get ganked by the Horde or Alliance a$$hat who thinks its fun to corpse camp you because you're lower level and trying to quest.

Point is, play on the sever you want. It's YOUR money, and YOUR character(s). I play a Mage as my main but have a Priestess alt and like both. A buddy of mine has a Warlock main and a Rouge alt and likes both of them too. Just remember, Mage = sneeze on me and I die, Warlock = Mana battery (if speced right).

Talon Blackrazor said:
Hunter and Rogue are the two most overplayed types of character in the game.

Hunters are good solo, provide moderately good DPS in groups, and are very nice for group PvP.

Rogues are great solo, you can rip through mobs in no time and with very little downtime between kills. They're good in groups, great DPS, but will sometimes be pased over for other classes, such as mage, because they are single target only. PvP is hit and miss, rogues basically sneak around ganking people, they're good at it, but if they lose the suprise advantage they can be an easy target for most other classes.

I'd recomend a Warrior. Good damage, big armor, can take hits, a few good utility spells for PK.

I don't agree one what you said about Hunters being over played. If you look at warcraftrealms.com, although it might not be totaly correct but close I would guess, Hunter's population dropped drasticley, and on alot of server Hunters are not even top 5.

Also on PvE servers you can PvP, you just won't get ganked if you don't want too.

Just type /PvP

Holy @#$@... my first night back and the damn thing discos me at the login screen... over and over and over and over... this is just like back in December! ;)

BigECB said:
Cool... I will roll up a Priest tonight...

if it's not too late I think we could use a druid more-so than a priest :)

Coming from the Guildmaster...not that I know anything :p

Heh, can't even get to the WoW site. They must be having a lot of trouble today. I'm going to use my "Free Pass" to try out a Rogue, Hunter, and a Warrior. I've never been a magic type of person, so I'll stay away from the casters. What are they planning on changing on the Hunters, btw?

azzkikur said:
Heh, can't even get to the WoW site. They must be having a lot of trouble today. I'm going to use my "Free Pass" to try out a Rogue, Hunter, and a Warrior. I've never been a magic type of person, so I'll stay away from the casters. What are they planning on changing on the Hunters, btw?

Their entire talent tree from what I've heard. (or at least changing it enough that merrits a free talent respec for all hunters)

Nah not too late... I'll start a Druid too... if and when I can ever log into the game! Might be tomorrow night at this rate!

Got in! Made a Cow Druid named: Ooba

BigECB said:
Nah not too late... I'll start a Druid too... if and when I can ever log into the game! Might be tomorrow night at this rate!

yeah this really isn't a common occurance except for tuesdays. (at least for Stormscale).

Sky15 said:
Also on PvE servers you can PvP, you just won't get ganked if you don't want too.

Just type /PvP
not being able to get ganked isnt pvp. if i see a guy near my lvl running somewhere, im gonna attack him. on a pve i cant. no fun

Evil Scooter said:
Played the game? If you are on a PVP server you do not need to "flag" to get ganked, what you describe is a PVE server. If I wanted to just PVP all I need to do is get in line for BG..
yes i have played the game. did your read the post i quoted before assuming and make an ass you of u?

i myself prefer the mixture of the pve experience. i play mostly solo but it's pretty intense when i'm off running a quest and i run across a lone flagged. :cool: you'll get that easy honor kill but you know that you're gonna get raped shortly. oh yeah. :eek:

So is it safe to say that PvE is the way to go?? I played it before, and though I was missing a lot by not playing PvP.

I personally would go PvP. I have played both. What people say about being ganked every 10 seconds is way over blown. You will get ganked, and you will get to gank. Its not like you cannot quest, or play the game.

the worst place to the alliance is generally ashenvale, and the worse for the horde is hillsbrad. stv is just fun for both sides.

azzkikur said:
Do you have to be Horde to be in the Hardguild?

Yes yo do. There is no way for the horde to communicate with the alliance in WoW. You can also not create players on opposing factions, on the same server for PvP. So it would be pointless to have an alliance character on stormscale, because you could not be horde, you could not join the guild, get the tabard, any of that.

Ok, I'm on Stormscale. Gonna try a Tauren Warrior out. Name is Decimus. I'll PM someone to get me in the guild.

Druid have way more utility then Priest do. Priest are awsome 1v1 PvP, but in end-game your just a heal bot, which sucks depending on your self.

I would try a druid out, although they have really really low DPS at the moment, they are very usefull for Instances, and PvP. Just head over to

www.Warcraftmovies.com and check em out.

Sky15 said:
Druid have way more utility then Priest do. Priest are awsome 1v1 PvP, but in end-game your just a heal bot, which sucks depending on your self.

I would try a druid out, although they have really really low DPS at the moment, they are very usefull for Instances, and PvP. Just head over to

www.Warcraftmovies.com and check em out.
um druids are a heal bot in end game too. with a shitty rez.

Make sure to pick a race to benefit the class you chose. Each race has racial benefits, that can give you a very slight advantage. For example a tauren warrior is a good choice, as one of taurens racial traits is the ability to war stomp. Basically stun enemies for a little bit. This is a useful trait for a warrior to have, as you will be up close and personal when in combat. It would not make sence for a tauren spell caster for example to use this trait tho, as they stand back and range attack.

does anyone have a link to leaked release notes for the next patch concerning Hunter changes? might convince me to start up my lvl 30 hunter again...

Back