• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Thinking of making a quick upgrade

Kato1144

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 18, 2007
Messages
359
hey i was wondering if making the jump from a E8400 to a Q9550 or Q9600 would be worth the $200 to $300 in performance, especially in certain games like sins of a solar empire (after 150 planets it gets a little slow :p) Red Faction Guerrilla, and Supreme Commander. and not to mention the performance I would revive in the future .

BTW Im not intrested in upgrading to a I7, it's just not feasible.
thanks -Kato
 
ugh, very similar situtation and I'm torn, (and thats leaving me with a very anti-intel taste in my mouth).

I'm kinda po'd: the Q9550 (which I'm calling identical to the Q9450) is still holding its 8 month old MSRP. I know, thats an argument based on whats no more than a sense of entitlement, but still, comon; If I had gone with an AMD chipset (like I had been planning to right up until Conroe), I would have some upgrade room right now. Xpress 3200 AM2 + Phenom 2... blegh.

I've been eyeballing a used Q6600 or Q9550 from the people upgrading to i5 on these boards. They can be found for ~$110 and ~$140 respectively. But that just leaves me wondering if maybe I should just upgrade to i5 myself, so then I put together a list and come up with... $500+, and that's excluding a vid card which, the 8800's nice but its getting long in the tooth.

So yeah, I'm bummed, and I dont have an answer. I'm good at posting on forums.:p
 
Arggg I hear you i just want to go and buy the dam chip right now, but if the difference on what i want to achieve is going to be minimal well i best hold on to my money but im not going to do another major upgrade for 2-3 years.


anyway i just want to play soase with 300 planets and regular fps, i know the CPU is the weak point right now but should i do the upgrad and also between the Q9550 and Q9600 is there really any difference besides $100?
 
If you don't plan on upgrading the rest of the system for 2-3 years then I think a q9550 wouldn't be a bad idea.
 
Well, if your considering a q9650 (more than $300 bucks) why aren't you considering a i5 upgrade for $458 bucks? Mobo/CPU combo for $370, Ram for $88 bucks. So for the price of that CPU you can just about buy an i5 MOBO and CPU. I would have a hard time upgrading, in fact, right now I AM having a hard time upgrading to a quad for my system which was my original plan. I was going to wait then replace my e5200 with a Q9550 but I can't justify spending that much money on a 775 socket CPU when the price went up instead of down.

There are even cheaper deals out there if you live close to a Fry's or Microcenter. But of course if you live close to them they have some great deals on Q9550 usually- around $200 bucks. Personally, I dont see the value in upgrading from a e8400 to a q9xxx for the price though.
 
try oc'ing the cpu ... a new videocard or more memory...

if not ... just grab a q9550 ... you'll hold on to it for more than just 2-3 yrs...
 
Man those maps took forever in solar empire...took me a couple days lol.

Anyways, I think it may be more worthy of your money if you oc and hold onto that money for a complete computer upgrade. Buying a 775 may not be a penny well spent...

On the flip side...

You would see a performance increase, especially when you go to overclock it. Upcoming games are multi threaded so having two extra cores is never a bad thing.

So, either wait for a new system, or upgrade a single part that would increase performace. Up to you! :D


BTW Im not intrested in upgrading to a I7, it's just not feasible.

Never! :p

GL
 
Fry's electronics are running an i5 with a gigabyte mobo for $200. sell your e8400 and buy 8gb of ram and you've upgraded :D
 
Fry's electronics are running an i5 with a gigabyte mobo for $200. sell your e8400 and buy 8gb of ram and you've upgraded :D

This.

If you can jump on one of these deals, you have it made. One of the nice thing about many of the p55 mobo (for i5) is they have both SLI and Xfire so your not locked into any one type of video card too.
 
Well i Did it, got me a Q9550 and already seeing a difference, can't wait to play SOASE


Man those maps took forever in solar empire...took me a couple days lol.

Anyways, I think it may be more worthy of your money if you oc and hold onto that money for a complete computer upgrade. Buying a 775 may not be a penny well spent...

On the flip side...

You would see a performance increase, especially when you go to overclock it. Upcoming games are multi threaded so having two extra cores is never a bad thing.

So, either wait for a new system, or upgrade a single part that would increase performace. Up to you! :D




Never! :p

GL

ya well i and go for 8 hrs of that game at a time (im just addicted to it) so 150 planets does not cut it :p and for not wanting to get a I7 or I5 system , well i just upgraded from a AMD 64 to this current system not to long ago, so i think i will spend the 200$ on a Q9550 for the extra core's

THanks for the help every one, oh and BTW is it normal for one of the core to run a little hotter then the others?
 
Back
Top