Thinking of Harmony 550 remote, but wait!

Master Blaster

[H]ard|Gawd
So I'm ready to jump on the Harmony 550 remote for my HTPC. I was about to pick one up but I thought about my case. It does not have a IR receiving unit for which to receive signals. Damn.

I've got the Antec 2480 case. So what are my options? Any advise please - TIA!

Media Center remote kit w/ dongle
USB to IR adapters
Antec 3.5" Drive Bays w/ IR

If you are putting your case where you might not get a clear shot of a drive bay, you may want to consider the USB dongle. They usually come with a pretty good sized cord that lets you put the receiver in a much better position.

Be aware that devices labeled IRDA are NOT for remotes, they're for wireless IR data communication. You usually have to buy a remote with an ir receiver, and then just shelf the remote. If you do a search for "mce remote" you'll find whats available at your favorite retailers.

if i were youid go with the 880, i found the batteries went dead fast. plus with the 880 you get a rechargable battery with the dock. the docks are fine nowa days. plus you dont have stupid buttons at the top where it says play movie watch tv. and on the 880 you can name or rename the buttons.
and get the microsoft remote/ir bundle or equivalent.

So technically I can get the MCE pack. Hook up just the IR Receiver, and if I'm hell bent on the Harmony 880, it will be compatible?

thanks for all the help guys!!

yeah the 880 will be compatible with it. but like i said i bought the 550 and took it back 2 weeks later and got the 880, because of the battery issue

So technically I can get the MCE pack. Hook up just the IR Receiver, and if I'm hell bent on the Harmony 880, it will be compatible?

thanks for all the help guys!!
Should work just fine :)

This is the one I bought, even the same vendor.
Fleebay linky

Work just great with my harmony 550 and if I win powerball it will go great with my 880 :)

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back