Thinking of going nVidia 780i or possibly x38

Nasty_Savage

Fully [H]
Growing increasingly annoyed with flakey quirks of my Asus board, I'm on the verge of tacking it on the wall and swapping it for an nVidia, maybe in a month or so. I have a question maybe someone can answer...

I have a 3Ware 9650SE 4MPL Raid card, it requires a minimum of a PCI-E 4X slot. The nVidia layout has 2 PCI-E 'Generation 2.0' and 1 'Generation 1.0' x 16 slot.

The requirements for the card are PCI-E X4, X8 and X16 and must comply with PCI 1.1 Standards. I am assuming that Generation 1 complies with 1.1 standards. Will the card work in that third slot? The official specs indicate:

PCI Express 2.0 support
62 lanes, 12 links: 3 x16* or 4 x8, 1 x16, 1 x8, 6 x1 *2 x16 are PCI Express Gen 2.0, 1 x16 is PCI Express Gen 1.0
Up to 5 PCI Slots

What the hell does that mean? LOL! If I plug in the Raid card, does it drop the speed of the other two PCI-E slots? It says 3 X 16, so I am hoping no, but I dunno if these PCI-E slots are rigged especially for SLI. At most I 'might' go dual SLI, highly unlikely I would ever bother with three, since even 2 is a longshot. The Asus board tends to drop off that second slot for some reason every once in awhile so sometimes I can't do a warm boot, I have to power down completely and go cold for the Raid card to be acknowledged. Needless to say, its been a damned harrowing affair, with x64 Vista. The onboard MATRIX raid has problems spanning 4 drives as one SATA port consistantly blows up after awhile forcing a rebuild...

The other boards obviously looking at would be x38 (or x48 if it comes out at the time). I'd prefer not going DDR3 yet though if possible. The third PCI-E claims x4 'electrical'. So I don't know what that means either...enlighten me if you can!

Thanks for the input, but I'm pretty sure I will never buy another Asus board again, the main question is the PCI-E layouts and the Raid card...the ability to possibly do SLI comes second after that (and DDR2 for the time being)

Thanks for the input, but I'm pretty sure I will never buy another Asus board again, the main question is the PCI-E layouts and the Raid card...the ability to possibly do SLI comes second after that (and DDR2 for the time being)

ASUS P35 was a bad patch. Their X38 chipsets are awesome and back to their reputation.

Back