• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Thinking of adding a second display, few questions.

justin82

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 8, 2004
Messages
404
As the title says Im thinking of adding a second display for my computer to keep like IM windows rss/news feeds running where I can see them without having to minimize my current window. I currently Have a 19 viewsonic CRT and was thinking of adding a 15 inch LCD for this purpose but I have a few questions.

1. I have a 7800GTX that is currently pushing a CRT if I add the LCD will there be any compatability problems?

2. Can I set it up where when I game, news feeds and IMs will be on one monitor while the game will only be shown on my CRT?

3. Right now if im playing BF2 and someone messages me while im trying to do a bomb run and it kicks me outta game and I slam into someones tank and they call me and noob and try to kick vote. If I have that second monitor will stuff pop up on it and not boot me outta game? Or can this be setup?

4. And finally could someone suggest a cheap monitor that looks good (both physically and has good picture quality) and doesnt get too hot? ( the flat panels at school are thick dell 19' and get hotter than hell) I would be willing to buy off the forums if someone has one but i prefer new.


thanks in advanced.
 
justin82 said:
As the title says Im thinking of adding a second display for my computer to keep like IM windows rss/news feeds running where I can see them without having to minimize my current window. I currently Have a 19 viewsonic CRT and was thinking of adding a 15 inch LCD for this purpose but I have a few questions.

1. I have a 7800GTX that is currently pushing a CRT if I add the LCD will there be any compatability problems?
I am using 2 19 inch LCD's on my 9800 Pro, so you shouldn't have any performace problems.

justin82 said:
2. Can I set it up where when I game, news feeds and IMs will be on one monitor while the game will only be shown on my CRT?
Yes and No. Yes, your 2nd monitor will still show the windows desktop, but anything on it will "shift" when the resolution of your primary monitor changes. If you game at the same resolution as your desktop, then you wont have a problem with that.



For the most part, you should get a 2nd monitor only if you plan on using it for your Windows desktop experince. In that reguards, I love having dual monitors.

justin82 said:
3. Right now if im playing BF2 and someone messages me while im trying to do a bomb run and it kicks me outta game and I slam into someones tank and they call me and noob and try to kick vote. If I have that second monitor will stuff pop up on it and not boot me outta game? Or can this be setup?
A 2nd monitor will not solve this problem. You will still get booted out for like you do now with a single monitor. And while you can "see" your desktop on the second monitor, if you try to click on anything on it, your game will still be minimized.

justin82 said:
4. And finally could someone suggest a cheap monitor that looks good (both physically and has good picture quality) and doesnt get too hot? ( the flat panels at school are thick dell 19' and get hotter than hell) I would be willing to buy off the forums if someone has one but i prefer new.
Can't help here. LCDs should run cooler than CRTs, but they still produce heat.



You should only look at a 2nd monitor if you want it for Windows. That is how I use mine, and I love it! :D
 
Back
Top